The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

Girl just gave me her 2008 white MacBook cause it was running too slow.

Gonna drop in more RAM and an SSD, should have it smooth.

Can't use anything past Lion though smh.

How exactly is it better than the 13" fully-loaded?

Dual-Core vs Quad-Core on the 15"

Thank you!

NP Spec-wise IMO that is what will set apart the 15 and the 13 the most. A Quad-core when it comes to lifting the heavy load will outperform the dual-core every time. Also your question regarding getting max specs online vs the store, there is no difference. Online will yield the same in-store results but without the headache of an apple store.

Dont forget to snap pics of your new MBP inside your "dads" AM :smokin

:lol:

Will do, fam. I appreciate the help!
I just graduated, but start school again in 2 weeks so I'll be ordering it soon. Should I order now to avoid any back orders or I should be fine ordering within a week or so?

To my understanding they just did a spec bump. But I think you should be fine whenever. These aren't like the iPhones and what not, that get sold out as soon as they get in stock. But if you need it in that 2 week time frame, I would order it soon.

can anyone help explain the benefits of upgrading my ram and installing a SSD. Im on a 2012 MBP and I've been experiencing slow boot up times and considerable lag

Ordered a 128gb SSD from Crucial for $30, still waiting on shipping confirmation.

Gonna load up my programs on it, remove the SuperDrive, and install the ssd in its place and just put all my files on the HDD. 
devil.gif

can anyone help explain the benefits of upgrading my ram and installing a SSD. Im on a 2012 MBP and I've been experiencing slow boot up times and considerable lag
Ram = being able to use/open multiple applications at once

SSD = Faster boot up time and opening up applications faster

If you're someone who never closes apps out and has like a million application+tabs opened, upgrade both the RAM and SSD.

If you're like me and only have around 3 apps opened at a time, then just upgrade your SSD. 4gb of Ram is good enough for that (assuming your have 4 gb of ram)

Just ordered :smokin
Looks like it may take a while, though. Got a pretty neat student discount :smokin

Check with your school you may get an even better discount on office if the school is in a MS program, I know when I went to LSU we got office for free.

Just ordered :smokin
Looks like it may take a while, though. Got a pretty neat student discount :smokin

You're spending too much money on computers and not enough on car parts brah

j/k 16gb of ram though! nice pick up

Coulda gotten office for free....illegally

Wow, I am enrolled in an MSCE program at my school. Can I still get the discount now that it's paid for?

Edit, I may have misunderstood. What do you mean by MS program? My major is civil engineering and my master's will be an MS, not sure if that's what you meant?

No schools can get into some partnership with Microsoft and they get software for free, big schools always seem to have it. If you're school has a software depository online it will tell you if you get free or discounted software and have a link once you log in with your school ID.

For example this is LSU's page https://tigerware.lsu.edu/#

Last edited:
1TB of PCIe flash based storage is still pretty expensive. It's definitely a dream machine, but not one I'd spend that much on, I was always middle of the road with my Mac purchases.

Ordered a 128gb SSD from Crucial for $30, still waiting on shipping confirmation.

Gonna load up my programs on it, remove the SuperDrive, and install the ssd in its place and just put all my files on the HDD. :evil:
one of the best mods i've done :nthat:

it will literally feel like a brand new computer

I got a 2009 MBP that's close to just being useless on me

should I pull the trigger now for a new one or wait for a new updated model? I don't follow Apple much to know when to expect one. Any help is appreciated

I got a 2009 MBP that's close to just being useless on me

should I pull the trigger now for a new one or wait for a new updated model? I don't follow Apple much to know when to expect one. Any help is appreciated
I'm pretty sure the MBPs just got updated. Have someone else confirm, but you should be good to upgrade right now if you want to.

Gonna load up my programs on it, remove the SuperDrive, and install the ssd in its place and just put all my files on the HDD. 
devil.gif
one of the best mods i've done
nthat.gif

it will literally feel like a brand new computer
Its suppose to come today cant wait, but I forgot to order the data doubler kit to install it. Good thing i got that amazon prime 
pimp.gif

Last edited:

Its suppose to come today cant wait, but I forgot to order the data doubler kit to install it. Good thing i got that amazon prime 
pimp.gif

Bro how'd you get it for 30 dollars?
Crucial website occasionally has sales on recertified SSDs.

128gb for 30.

256 for 50.

512 for 100.

I think they raised the price for the 512 to $150 last time I checked. They sell out in like an hour or less too.

Back
Top Bottom