The Official Mac Thread (Docs, Themes, Apps, Etc.)

its actually easier than you think...connect your ssd to your mac using this cable

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oyen-Digi...Hard-Drive-Solid-State-Drive-Adapter/51053216

download super duper which is free and use that app to format your new ssd... than transfer your data from your mac to you ssd which will take a minute depending on how many files you got... then you can swap your hdd with your new ssd...

i used this guys video to help me with the ssd
thanks for that link, really helpful.

Has anyone removed their optical drive (assuming you have one) and replaced it with a second ssd ?

Didn't realize that was due to a Chrome update. I thought my browser was in recovery mode or something.

its actually easier than you think...connect your ssd to your mac using this cable

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Oyen-Digi...Hard-Drive-Solid-State-Drive-Adapter/51053216

download super duper which is free and use that app to format your new ssd... than transfer your data from your mac to you ssd which will take a minute depending on how many files you got... then you can swap your hdd with your new ssd...

i used this guys video to help me with the ssd

Has anyone removed their optical drive (assuming you have one) and replaced it with a second ssd ?
Yeah a bunch of people have done that. Most people keep the stock hard drive though. I believe the consensus is to put the OS on the SSD and other data files on the hard drive.

I thought about switching out my optical drive, but there's been a few times over the years that I've actually needed that drive. I'm glad I didn't, 500GB SSD is enough for me

I did the data doubler in my MacBook Pro earlier this year and I didn't notice my battery taking a hit like that. 

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Data_Doubler

Then you can just get an optical drive enclosure so you still have an external drive when/if you ever need one.

Amazon product ASIN B005RFOJT6
Here is another data doubler on amazon that is cheaper.

Amazon product ASIN B0058AH2US
I like the one from OWC though because is comes with little screwdrivers and the star looking driver to open up certain screws. It also comes with guides and instructions for each model to fully complete the install as well. 

Also, some people recommend putting the SSD in the actual HDD bay and not in the optical drive bay because the optical drive tends to be auto-negotiated down to a slower bus speed as opposed to the HDD slot. 

Yeah a bunch of people have done that. Most people keep the stock hard drive though. I believe the consensus is to put the OS on the SSD and other data files on the hard drive.
Yeah that was the route I planned on going.

I did the data doubler in my MacBook Pro earlier this year and I didn't notice my battery taking a hit like that. 

https://eshop.macsales.com/shop/internal_storage/Data_Doubler

Then you can just get an optical drive enclosure so you still have an external drive when/if you ever need one.

Amazon product ASIN B005RFOJT6
Here is another data doubler on amazon that is cheaper.

Amazon product ASIN B0058AH2US
I like the one from OWC though because is comes with little screwdrivers and the star looking driver to open up certain screws. It also comes with guides and instructions for each model to fully complete the install as well. 

Also, some people recommend putting the SSD in the actual HDD bay and not in the optical drive bay because the optical drive tends to be auto-negotiated down to a slower bus speed as opposed to the HDD slot. 
Repped for the links.

Just ordered some ddr3 memory, going to get around to ordering that data doubler later tongiht
smokin.gif

Dropped my 2013 MacBook Air and screen broke how much does Apple charge to replace the screen?

Last edited:
Thinking about selling my 2015 Macbook Retina 12 inch. Love the Retina display but the screen is just a little too small for me, and the battery life sucks. Looks like the resale value is still pretty nice and I got it on a big discount anyway so I may even come out with a profit :lol:.

I'll probably revert back to my 2012 (I think) MBA 13.3 inch for now. That extra 1.3 inch makes a world of a difference. Just sucks that it's only got 4GB of RAM.

Rumors are that new MBA and MBP will be released "as early as October". Hopefully they're looking good, and actually do release around then.

Thinking about selling my 2015 Macbook Retina 12 inch. Love the Retina display but the screen is just a little too small for me, and the battery life sucks. Looks like the resale value is still pretty nice and I got it on a big discount anyway so I may even come out with a profit :lol:.

I'll probably revert back to my 2012 (I think) MBA 13.3 inch for now. That extra 1.3 inch makes a world of a difference. Just sucks that it's only got 4GB of RAM.

Rumors are that new MBA and MBP will be released "as early as October". Hopefully they're looking good, and actually do release around then.

If you're thinking about selling, please let me know... i'll also shoot you a PM.

Has anyone ever had a problem with an uneven macbook. I have never dropped mine and just recently noticed that the bottom was uneven. Not sure if it's because I installed a SSD or if it was like that before. Took it to the apple store and they said that the case was probably bent, just not sure how that happened since I have never done any damage to it. It's not too bad depending on the surface it's resting on but when its bad its very annoying when typing and its wobbling.

^I've only experienced an uneven MBP due to the battery expanding.

I recently had to get a new one too so that's ruled out. I might take it apart and see if something is causing it to be uneven if not oh well. Apple is no help with this and the lady said it would be better to buy a new macbook than pay for the repairs :smh: Wish they had some sort of service like a one time freebie if you never got to use the apple care you paid for haha.

Really been wanting an imac but the new ones are expensive. See a 2009 version for 300. What yall think worth the money?

Really been wanting an imac but the new ones are expensive. See a 2009 version for 300. What yall think worth the money?
Depends what you're using it for. If it's just internet browsing, you'll be fine. As always, Max out the Ram and put your applications on a SSD. You can also wait to see if they release a new Mac Mini next week (September 7th).

Depends what you're using it for. If it's just internet browsing, you'll be fine. As always, Max out the Ram and put your applications on a SSD. You can also wait to see if they release a new Mac Mini next week (September 7th).
Internet browsing, coding, web design. I have a 09 macbook and it does all of this fine but i want a bigger screen.

Internet browsing, coding, web design. I have a 09 macbook and it does all of this fine but i want a bigger screen.
Why not just buy a separate monitor if your macbook already runs everything fine? It should be cheaper than buying and upgrading the 2009 iMac.

Back
Top Bottom