The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Xavier-ha... yes it does i was a gunner in iraq and i'am orignally a 92A supply, if they dont have enough people to this and that job u could be put in any situation, but like you said you go to basic training to learn basic infantry tactics just incase you are put in situations like i was put in

---Apparently we have had different experiences, I was implying specifically about a soldier being slotted for a specific non-combat duty on deployment and then being selected to knock down doors; it is something I've heard happening on a limited basis but I personally have never seen this.

Tony_Montana-Do you think it will be hard to join 11B 2years from now ?

---It depends on if you're trying to go active or not, I'm not sure how force reductions will effect the 11B MOS as a whole, but the guard and reserves will not be effected as much. Regardless, in my experience 11B's are always getting out or re-classing to different MOS's, I'm fairly certain we'll always need more of them.

SdotCAR69-How'd you make e5 so fast?

---I came in as an e1 actually, I'm in the National Guard though, I got waivers for my first few promotions and another for deploying. Strings can be pulled in the National Guard, its really all about who you know.

DoEBoiFreshsince88-SO YOUR IN BOTH THE ARMY AND MARINES?

---Uh no, I was simply mentioning that the Army and Marines both train each of their men on infantry tactics, but I personally only have experience in the Army.

To anyone looking at the Army, go MI. 35M leads the way.

Xavier-ha... yes it does i was a gunner in iraq and i'am orignally a 92A supply, if they dont have enough people to this and that job u could be put in any situation, but like you said you go to basic training to learn basic infantry tactics just incase you are put in situations like i was put in

---Apparently we have had different experiences, I was implying specifically about a soldier being slotted for a specific non-combat duty on deployment and then being selected to knock down doors; it is something I've heard happening on a limited basis but I personally have never seen this.

Tony_Montana-Do you think it will be hard to join 11B 2years from now ?

---It depends on if you're trying to go active or not, I'm not sure how force reductions will effect the 11B MOS as a whole, but the guard and reserves will not be effected as much. Regardless, in my experience 11B's are always getting out or re-classing to different MOS's, I'm fairly certain we'll always need more of them.

SdotCAR69-How'd you make e5 so fast?

---I came in as an e1 actually, I'm in the National Guard though, I got waivers for my first few promotions and another for deploying. Strings can be pulled in the National Guard, its really all about who you know.

DoEBoiFreshsince88-SO YOUR IN BOTH THE ARMY AND MARINES?

---Uh no, I was simply mentioning that the Army and Marines both train each of their men on infantry tactics, but I personally only have experience in the Army.

To anyone looking at the Army, go MI. 35M leads the way.

Originally Posted by Tony Montana

How often are you involed in firefights on 11B ?

If I Honestly tell you, will that make or break you joining the Military... but Ill let a true 11B take that question.

As an MP. The whole 11B vs 31B rivalry, pretty funny, but I give props to infantry. Im attached to 1st infantry division in Iraq. Give them all the props, learned from them a bit and they learned from us a bit.

If I Honestly tell you, will that make or break you joining the Military... but Ill let a true 11B take that question.

As an MP. The whole 11B vs 31B rivalry, pretty funny, but I give props to infantry. Im attached to 1st infantry division in Iraq. Give them all the props, learned from them a bit and they learned from us a bit.

how is iraq right now? i was there last year when they was handing things over to the iraqi military to fully be in charge of operations and bullcorn

when i was there it was pretty quiet and hot. did convoy security missions all over. still remember going to camp hammer everytime we passed on butler range road shid just look like an ied or efp was going to go off
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

still in search of finding a recruiter who will do my paperwork to go active......

how is iraq right now? i was there last year when they was handing things over to the iraqi military to fully be in charge of operations and bullcorn

when i was there it was pretty quiet and hot. did convoy security missions all over. still remember going to camp hammer everytime we passed on butler range road shid just look like an ied or efp was going to go off
laugh.gif
ohwell.gif

still in search of finding a recruiter who will do my paperwork to go active......

[h1]Queen decorates Nepali for Afghanistan heroics[/h1]
capt.533526f26faa4188b1bbbf6d0ef2f927-533526f26faa4188b1bbbf6d0ef2f927-0.jpg

LONDON (AFP) – A Nepalese soldier in the British army has been given a top bravery award by Queen Elizabeth II for his heroics in Afghanistan, where he single-handedly saw off more than 30 Taliban fighters.

Corporal Dipprasad Pun, 31, said he thought he was going to die and so had nothing to lose in taking on the attackers who overran his checkpoint.

He was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC), which is given in recognition of acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy.

Pun fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to repel the Taliban assault on his checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan, last September.

Surrounded, the enemy opened fired from all sides and for 15 minutes Pun remained under continuous attack, including from rocket-propelled grenades and AK47 guns.

At one point, unable to shoot, he used his machine gun tripod to knock down a militant who was climbing the walls of the compound.

Two insurgents were still attacking by the time he ran out of ammunition, but he set off a Claymore mine to repel them.

Pun was given his medal in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London on Wednesday.

The CGC is second only to the Victoria Cross -- the highest honour for bravery in the face of the enemy.

"There wasn't any choice but to fight. The Taliban were all around the checkpoint. I was alone," he said.

"I had so many of them around me that I thought I was definitely going to die so I thought I'd kill as many of them as I could before they killed me.

"After that I thought nobody can kill us now -- when we met the enemy I wasn't scared."

Britain's Major General Nicholas Carter, who was commander of allied forces in southern Afghanistan during Pun's deployment, praised his efforts.

"The CGC does not get handed out lightly. It was a most remarkable achievement," he said.

[h1]Queen decorates Nepali for Afghanistan heroics[/h1]
capt.533526f26faa4188b1bbbf6d0ef2f927-533526f26faa4188b1bbbf6d0ef2f927-0.jpg

LONDON (AFP) – A Nepalese soldier in the British army has been given a top bravery award by Queen Elizabeth II for his heroics in Afghanistan, where he single-handedly saw off more than 30 Taliban fighters.

Corporal Dipprasad Pun, 31, said he thought he was going to die and so had nothing to lose in taking on the attackers who overran his checkpoint.

He was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross (CGC), which is given in recognition of acts of conspicuous gallantry during active operations against the enemy.

Pun fired more than 400 rounds, launched 17 grenades and detonated a mine to repel the Taliban assault on his checkpoint near Babaji in Helmand Province, southern Afghanistan, last September.

Surrounded, the enemy opened fired from all sides and for 15 minutes Pun remained under continuous attack, including from rocket-propelled grenades and AK47 guns.

At one point, unable to shoot, he used his machine gun tripod to knock down a militant who was climbing the walls of the compound.

Two insurgents were still attacking by the time he ran out of ammunition, but he set off a Claymore mine to repel them.

Pun was given his medal in a ceremony at Buckingham Palace in London on Wednesday.

The CGC is second only to the Victoria Cross -- the highest honour for bravery in the face of the enemy.

"There wasn't any choice but to fight. The Taliban were all around the checkpoint. I was alone," he said.

"I had so many of them around me that I thought I was definitely going to die so I thought I'd kill as many of them as I could before they killed me.

"After that I thought nobody can kill us now -- when we met the enemy I wasn't scared."

Britain's Major General Nicholas Carter, who was commander of allied forces in southern Afghanistan during Pun's deployment, praised his efforts.

"The CGC does not get handed out lightly. It was a most remarkable achievement," he said.

for those who say go officer...it really is competitive. have any of you enlisted with a degree? is it really that bad? I understand you get more respect by going in as enlisted and then becoming officer...

for those who say go officer...it really is competitive. have any of you enlisted with a degree? is it really that bad? I understand you get more respect by going in as enlisted and then becoming officer...

Originally Posted by The Kid Fiasco

I'm hoping everyday
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by The Kid Fiasco

I'm hoping everyday
pimp.gif

Almost everyone in this thread seems to think they're going to walk into the military as an officer. It's not like less officers are being commisioned now than before and they're looking to get people out ar anything.

Almost everyone in this thread seems to think they're going to walk into the military as an officer. It's not like less officers are being commisioned now than before and they're looking to get people out ar anything.

Originally Posted by High Altitude

This.

I shook my head at times, cause i WISHED i pursued a bachelors. then come into the military. but now I
laugh.gif
, EVERYONE is walking on the military scene with that piece of paper, and now the military doesnt need YOU anymore. Military recruiters can be greedy as hell. Either going officer or enlisted, you are no different from anyone. You better come with it.

Originally Posted by High Altitude

This.

I shook my head at times, cause i WISHED i pursued a bachelors. then come into the military. but now I
laugh.gif
, EVERYONE is walking on the military scene with that piece of paper, and now the military doesnt need YOU anymore. Military recruiters can be greedy as hell. Either going officer or enlisted, you are no different from anyone. You better come with it.

Just thought I'd chime in about the aspiring "Occifers" Officers in this thread.

If you are going the ROTC route things aren't changing as much, but they may become more selective about who they are accepting into the ROTC program

BUT, if you are trying to go the OCS route, you better be sure EVERYTHING is top notch because they are becoming extremely selective due to the military meeting their recruiting goals AND that we are going to start drawing down our military presence abroad (Iraq already, and Afghanistan coming up). They have lowered the age of entry and are not processing waivers (moral, medical, age) and for the cadets in OCS they are not letting them breeze by at all...the standards MUST be met in order to be commissioned. Overall I think it's good that they are getting strict again...Officers are leaders from day one of their career and we should only have the best.

BTW I got this info from one of my contacts in USAREC.

Mind you the guidelines could change again if America gets into another major conflict...so far on the horizon we potentially have Iran and North Korea.

Just thought I'd chime in about the aspiring "Occifers" Officers in this thread.

If you are going the ROTC route things aren't changing as much, but they may become more selective about who they are accepting into the ROTC program

BUT, if you are trying to go the OCS route, you better be sure EVERYTHING is top notch because they are becoming extremely selective due to the military meeting their recruiting goals AND that we are going to start drawing down our military presence abroad (Iraq already, and Afghanistan coming up). They have lowered the age of entry and are not processing waivers (moral, medical, age) and for the cadets in OCS they are not letting them breeze by at all...the standards MUST be met in order to be commissioned. Overall I think it's good that they are getting strict again...Officers are leaders from day one of their career and we should only have the best.

BTW I got this info from one of my contacts in USAREC.

Mind you the guidelines could change again if America gets into another major conflict...so far on the horizon we potentially have Iran and North Korea.

Firefights in the traditional sense aren't that prevalent in the wars we are fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq (not as much Iraq anymore due to us drawing down). 11 Bravos are doing dismounted foot patrols a lot more often now which makes them more vulnerable, but the superiors feel this is better in order to win the hearts and minds of the locals. Our enemy fights us in an asymmetrical manner, they know we have a distinct advantage with the application of force...so they'll take potshots at us from concealed positions, plant IED's, and blend in with the populace. All that to say they are not gonna fight us in a traditional "straight up" manner where firefights usually take place, because they would be summarily decimated...but if they can pop an unwitting patrolling soldier here and there and blow up a few convoys they can wage the war of public perception and try to make the us pull out.

Firefights in the traditional sense aren't that prevalent in the wars we are fighting in Afghanistan and Iraq (not as much Iraq anymore due to us drawing down). 11 Bravos are doing dismounted foot patrols a lot more often now which makes them more vulnerable, but the superiors feel this is better in order to win the hearts and minds of the locals. Our enemy fights us in an asymmetrical manner, they know we have a distinct advantage with the application of force...so they'll take potshots at us from concealed positions, plant IED's, and blend in with the populace. All that to say they are not gonna fight us in a traditional "straight up" manner where firefights usually take place, because they would be summarily decimated...but if they can pop an unwitting patrolling soldier here and there and blow up a few convoys they can wage the war of public perception and try to make the us pull out.

this might sound weird but i'll rather do foot patrols then be in an mrap.... from my experience doing convoy security missions i always felt vulernable to an attack inside a mrap.... i would def rather be on foot cause u could actually defend yourself better and see the enemy better in my opinion.

and yea they really cutting people out of the military left and right one of my friends had got in a fight at a bar.... and charged with like 2nd degree battery..

cut him instantly... one girl failed like 8 pt tests cut
laugh.gif
  not a game no more....

this might sound weird but i'll rather do foot patrols then be in an mrap.... from my experience doing convoy security missions i always felt vulernable to an attack inside a mrap.... i would def rather be on foot cause u could actually defend yourself better and see the enemy better in my opinion.

and yea they really cutting people out of the military left and right one of my friends had got in a fight at a bar.... and charged with like 2nd degree battery..

cut him instantly... one girl failed like 8 pt tests cut
laugh.gif
  not a game no more....

Apologies up front for creating a separate thread before posting in here.  I was ignorant of the existence of this thread prior to a fellow NT'er informing me of it. 

So, I'm thinking of joining the Air Force and going in as an officer.  I'm 31 at this point and I'm preparing myself to go back to graduate school but the fact that I will sink myself into debt over 2-3 years of graduate school has me more than a bit worried, especially considering I'm going to be proposing to my girl in the coming months and all that follows from that (wedding, honeymoon, wedding bands, etc).

Basically, I graduated from the University of Florida Cum Laude (3.97 GPA); I have an impeccable academic record.  I volunteered and worked for Americorps for a year after college and I'm currently in my fourth year in my first real position after college (Social Worker on a Children's Crisis Unit).  I make decent money here but not enough to live well and support a family on, which is one of my major motivations to go back and get my Master's (aside from just being a personal goal).

Anyhow, I'm considering joining the Air Force to help me get some experience, make connections, and also get assistance with graduate school.  I'm assuming that I would make pretty decent money as an officer in the Air Force for the four years I'd be in, plus my housing and healthcare and food etc would be taken care of which would help out a great deal.

For all of you guys or ladies out there that have been down this road or are currently on it, what are your opinions, experiences, etc.?  Do you recommend it for someone in my position?  Think it would be a good move?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Back
Top Bottom