The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Apologies up front for creating a separate thread before posting in here.  I was ignorant of the existence of this thread prior to a fellow NT'er informing me of it. 

So, I'm thinking of joining the Air Force and going in as an officer.  I'm 31 at this point and I'm preparing myself to go back to graduate school but the fact that I will sink myself into debt over 2-3 years of graduate school has me more than a bit worried, especially considering I'm going to be proposing to my girl in the coming months and all that follows from that (wedding, honeymoon, wedding bands, etc).

Basically, I graduated from the University of Florida Cum Laude (3.97 GPA); I have an impeccable academic record.  I volunteered and worked for Americorps for a year after college and I'm currently in my fourth year in my first real position after college (Social Worker on a Children's Crisis Unit).  I make decent money here but not enough to live well and support a family on, which is one of my major motivations to go back and get my Master's (aside from just being a personal goal).

Anyhow, I'm considering joining the Air Force to help me get some experience, make connections, and also get assistance with graduate school.  I'm assuming that I would make pretty decent money as an officer in the Air Force for the four years I'd be in, plus my housing and healthcare and food etc would be taken care of which would help out a great deal.

For all of you guys or ladies out there that have been down this road or are currently on it, what are your opinions, experiences, etc.?  Do you recommend it for someone in my position?  Think it would be a good move?

Thanks in advance for the input.

Pretty sure you're too old to go active duty now but I'm pretty sure you could still go guard or reserve.

Also TALK TO A RECRUITER

Pretty sure you're too old to go active duty now but I'm pretty sure you could still go guard or reserve.

Also TALK TO A RECRUITER

Whats up guys, so i was in the process of joining the Air Force and still am but got into a bicycle accident back in April. I was supposed to have my physical at MEPS in early May but due to my accident that didn't happen. I got an AC sprain in my left shoulder and theirs still some mild pain but i have full rotation of my arm and i can even ride my bike again. Currently going to physical therapy for it. Does anyone know if something like this will prevent me from getting in. Recruiter said he can get me a physical in July since June is already filled up. I'm really hoping this doesn't affect my future with the military cause i was looking forward to joining. Main concern is when they go over my medical history if something like this will be brought up. No broken bones or anything of that nature so i'm really hoping it won't be an issue. If anyone can help me out i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Whats up guys, so i was in the process of joining the Air Force and still am but got into a bicycle accident back in April. I was supposed to have my physical at MEPS in early May but due to my accident that didn't happen. I got an AC sprain in my left shoulder and theirs still some mild pain but i have full rotation of my arm and i can even ride my bike again. Currently going to physical therapy for it. Does anyone know if something like this will prevent me from getting in. Recruiter said he can get me a physical in July since June is already filled up. I'm really hoping this doesn't affect my future with the military cause i was looking forward to joining. Main concern is when they go over my medical history if something like this will be brought up. No broken bones or anything of that nature so i'm really hoping it won't be an issue. If anyone can help me out i'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Yuku double post 
mad.gif

Originally Posted by jrdnsrnss

they won't check your medical history if you don't tell them or write down somewhere you had an accident 
MEPS didn't check my medical history because I kept quiet about my past injuries and I had a list of medical treatments, man 
smile.gif

they won't check your medical history if you don't tell them or write down somewhere you had an accident 
MEPS didn't check my medical history because I kept quiet about my past injuries and I had a list of medical treatments, man 
smile.gif

Originally Posted by FullTech

smile.gif

IC, so if i don't put down i had an accident and later on at boot camp my injury bites me in the %%+ what happens? Any trouble coming my way for technically lying since i did have an injury.

smile.gif

IC, so if i don't put down i had an accident and later on at boot camp my injury bites me in the %%+ what happens? Any trouble coming my way for technically lying since i did have an injury.

if your injury affects you in boot, you just get sent back home till you get back to normal

don't worry about it, you won't be doing anything too physical in boot, lol

if your injury affects you in boot, you just get sent back home till you get back to normal

If you have documentation of an injury, cool, say you have it. But MEPS is gonna try to scare you, and try forcing you to remember every scratch and scabs i.e. so they can kick you back to your recruiter and have the right documents.

So keep shut of ANY undocumented injury. 

Nah, if an injury derives from bootcamp, then you claim the military caused it, and depending how serious it is they will just send you home or just a holdover rotting in boot camp. but theres pieces of S***, one female in my unit, had problems with her discs in her back when she was a civi, and went through basic.. then came into the REAL army, she milked it, always on profile, never worked, and she got medboarded, (out of the army) with disability pay. Biggest S***bag. thats where are money is wasted and we were about to get our pay taken away, cause of these people. Worthless to the military.

If you have documentation of an injury, cool, say you have it. But MEPS is gonna try to scare you, and try forcing you to remember every scratch and scabs i.e. so they can kick you back to your recruiter and have the right documents.

So keep shut of ANY undocumented injury. 

Nah, if an injury derives from bootcamp, then you claim the military caused it, and depending how serious it is they will just send you home or just a holdover rotting in boot camp. but theres pieces of S***, one female in my unit, had problems with her discs in her back when she was a civi, and went through basic.. then came into the REAL army, she milked it, always on profile, never worked, and she got medboarded, (out of the army) with disability pay. Biggest S***bag. thats where are money is wasted and we were about to get our pay taken away, cause of these people. Worthless to the military.

Cool, i'm not even gonna mention it then at MEPS. I don't really have documentation at home with me saying i have an injury. If they were to seek medical records i guess they would find it since i've been seeing my doctor for it and i've been going to physical therapy. Also, does anyone know the wait time from passing the physical at MEPS until getting sent to basic? I've heard people leave within two weeks of having there physical and read about one dude that had his physical and left for basic five months later. What makes the wait times longer or shorter? I'm hoping mine is at least two months after the physical so i can strengthen up my shoulder and start my pushup-pullup regimen again. My workout has taken a huge hit from this injury. 

Cool, i'm not even gonna mention it then at MEPS. I don't really have documentation at home with me saying i have an injury. If they were to seek medical records i guess they would find it since i've been seeing my doctor for it and i've been going to physical therapy. Also, does anyone know the wait time from passing the physical at MEPS until getting sent to basic? I've heard people leave within two weeks of having there physical and read about one dude that had his physical and left for basic five months later. What makes the wait times longer or shorter? I'm hoping mine is at least two months after the physical so i can strengthen up my shoulder and start my pushup-pullup regimen again. My workout has taken a huge hit from this injury. 

I think age cut off for officer is 34 or something like that but if its lower you can also get an Age waiver.. BUT getting commissioned is getting harder and harder..

I think age cut off for officer is 34 or something like that but if its lower you can also get an Age waiver.. BUT getting commissioned is getting harder and harder..

False. The only way you get sent home during bootcamp is for family emergencies and getting discharged. If you get injured you get held over in the medical squadron meaning you get to stay in bootcamp longer.

False. The only way you get sent home during bootcamp is for family emergencies and getting discharged. If you get injured you get held over in the medical squadron meaning you get to stay in bootcamp longer.

school me on the new 9/11 gi bill thats suppose to be coming this aug..... considering using it (reserves spent more than 180 days active duty)

school me on the new 9/11 gi bill thats suppose to be coming this aug..... considering using it (reserves spent more than 180 days active duty)

Originally Posted by High Altitude

nope, I met a Recruit from Paris Island when I left Camp Lejune 
he went back home for his injury 
indifferent.gif

Originally Posted by High Altitude

nope, I met a Recruit from Paris Island when I left Camp Lejune 
he went back home for his injury 
indifferent.gif

Back
Top Bottom