The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

-Army
-completed basic training and ait at Ft Jackson, South Carolina
-stationed at Ft Stewart (Hinesville, Georgia) (first duty station)
-mos is 42A (human resources) (a desk job dealing with a lot of paperwork from promotions, awards, leave forms, personnel action and etc)
-work in a S-1 shop with 4 other guys (overstrengthed)
-work from 9-5 5 days a week except Thursday's (everybody gets off at 3)
-do pt from 6:30-7:30 every morning 5 days a week
-not that far away from home (4 hours)

-Army
-completed basic training and ait at Ft Jackson, South Carolina
-stationed at Ft Stewart (Hinesville, Georgia) (first duty station)
-mos is 42A (human resources) (a desk job dealing with a lot of paperwork from promotions, awards, leave forms, personnel action and etc)
-work in a S-1 shop with 4 other guys (overstrengthed)
-work from 9-5 5 days a week except Thursday's (everybody gets off at 3)
-do pt from 6:30-7:30 every morning 5 days a week
-not that far away from home (4 hours)

Originally Posted by ryair max 1

Sole and ATL don't give up...I think you guys have better chances then I do for OCS for just getting in.

For just getting in and getting an unrestricted line commission (SWO, Subs, or Aviation communities), you guys have seem to have decent ASTB scores, which matter a lot. Restricted line stuff (PA, Intel/SW, Supply, and others) often require interviews + ASTB scores. Like I mentioned, my OAR is low at 40 but I am going to really push for some personal recs from any contacts I have/may meet. My package DL is Oct. 1 for the Nov. board reviews.

If I don't get the PA spot, my next choice is SWO, but based on my OAR, I think I will get passed up for SWO.

Not to sound overconfident or anything but I like my chances, I'm just sick of waiting. I've had my application complete for 6 weeks or so and now they tell me that they won't have boards until October or November and who knows when I'll actually be able to go to OCS. When I began talking to the recruiter he told me that from beginning to end most of the time it would take between 6-8 months; I'm looking at a year at the earliest.

Sole and ATL don't give up...I think you guys have better chances then I do for OCS for just getting in.

For just getting in and getting an unrestricted line commission (SWO, Subs, or Aviation communities), you guys have seem to have decent ASTB scores, which matter a lot. Restricted line stuff (PA, Intel/SW, Supply, and others) often require interviews + ASTB scores. Like I mentioned, my OAR is low at 40 but I am going to really push for some personal recs from any contacts I have/may meet. My package DL is Oct. 1 for the Nov. board reviews.

If I don't get the PA spot, my next choice is SWO, but based on my OAR, I think I will get passed up for SWO.

Not to sound overconfident or anything but I like my chances, I'm just sick of waiting. I've had my application complete for 6 weeks or so and now they tell me that they won't have boards until October or November and who knows when I'll actually be able to go to OCS. When I began talking to the recruiter he told me that from beginning to end most of the time it would take between 6-8 months; I'm looking at a year at the earliest.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

for those who say go officer...it really is competitive. have any of you enlisted with a degree? is it really that bad? I understand you get more respect by going in as enlisted and then becoming officer...
Enlisted isn't that bad.  Most of the LT's that I know personally that were prior enlisted I like better than those straight out of ROTC or OCS.  As an enlisted person you get a perspective of the Army (or whatever service you're in) that you wouldn't get if you didn't enlist.  You know exactly what your Joes go through on a daily basis, thus making your decision making process better.  Not to mention that when you go through OCS, you already know basic military %**!.  So it's not as much of a culture shock as it would be for someone straight off the street.

With all that said, if you got the chance to go officer out of the gate, do it.  And this is coming from someone who is enlisted.

Better pay.
Better living quarters.
More responsibility.
Great opportunities for advancement.
Better retirement.

The list goes on.  I'm currently fulfilling my obligations as an enlisted man, then I'm going officer.  Enlisted people are the backbone of the military and all that jazz, and I get counted on more heavily than most LT's I know (running joke is that lieutenants are just commissioned privates...don't know a damn thing and we always give em a hard time
laugh.gif
)...but *$!$ all the %+*@%@$+.  I got a son to feed, and the pay difference is just astounding. 

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

for those who say go officer...it really is competitive. have any of you enlisted with a degree? is it really that bad? I understand you get more respect by going in as enlisted and then becoming officer...
Enlisted isn't that bad.  Most of the LT's that I know personally that were prior enlisted I like better than those straight out of ROTC or OCS.  As an enlisted person you get a perspective of the Army (or whatever service you're in) that you wouldn't get if you didn't enlist.  You know exactly what your Joes go through on a daily basis, thus making your decision making process better.  Not to mention that when you go through OCS, you already know basic military %**!.  So it's not as much of a culture shock as it would be for someone straight off the street.

With all that said, if you got the chance to go officer out of the gate, do it.  And this is coming from someone who is enlisted.

Better pay.
Better living quarters.
More responsibility.
Great opportunities for advancement.
Better retirement.

The list goes on.  I'm currently fulfilling my obligations as an enlisted man, then I'm going officer.  Enlisted people are the backbone of the military and all that jazz, and I get counted on more heavily than most LT's I know (running joke is that lieutenants are just commissioned privates...don't know a damn thing and we always give em a hard time
laugh.gif
)...but *$!$ all the %+*@%@$+.  I got a son to feed, and the pay difference is just astounding. 

Have any of you guys gone through OCS? How long did it take you from beginning to end? Any advice for those applying?

Have any of you guys gone through OCS? How long did it take you from beginning to end? Any advice for those applying?

Any USN enlisted been affected by PTS????
What about the new Physical Fitness test (1 and done, no "bad" days)?

Yeah
the USN is DEF down sizing and kicking MAD heads out.
Got a lot of fatty's and HYT dudes getting the boot.

Any USN enlisted been affected by PTS????
What about the new Physical Fitness test (1 and done, no "bad" days)?

Yeah
the USN is DEF down sizing and kicking MAD heads out.
Got a lot of fatty's and HYT dudes getting the boot.

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about joining the navy soon. The problem is I only have one kidney. I was like this since I was born and I have never had a single problem from it. Now if I went for a physical should I mention this or not , and what would be the consequences if they found out? And also what would be the likelihood of getting a waiver for that? Thank you for any help.

Hey everyone, I'm thinking about joining the navy soon. The problem is I only have one kidney. I was like this since I was born and I have never had a single problem from it. Now if I went for a physical should I mention this or not , and what would be the consequences if they found out? And also what would be the likelihood of getting a waiver for that? Thank you for any help.

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the whole process. Do you know what the most/least selective jobs are? I here Intelligence is really tough. I'm looking to get Supply but I'm willing to take whatever they give me

You seem to be pretty knowledgeable about the whole process. Do you know what the most/least selective jobs are? I here Intelligence is really tough. I'm looking to get Supply but I'm willing to take whatever they give me

Originally Posted by ATLsFinest

I heard it was a more physical version of boot camp. I was told by a Captain aka my CO... 
ohwell.gif

I heard it was a more physical version of boot camp. I was told by a Captain aka my CO... 
ohwell.gif

Originally Posted by FullTech

ohwell.gif
as in they're more physical with you or you need to be in better physical condition?

ohwell.gif
as in they're more physical with you or you need to be in better physical condition?

ohwell.gif

ocs in the army is 15 weeks its more physical and mental then bct you actually learn how to plot combat plans call in artillery etc they have 5 mile release runs all kinds of stuff my friend just got out of ocs said it wasnt that bad if you like running

ohwell.gif

ocs in the army is 15 weeks its more physical and mental then bct you actually learn how to plot combat plans call in artillery etc they have 5 mile release runs all kinds of stuff my friend just got out of ocs said it wasnt that bad if you like running

Most selective is PA, followed by Intel. They are, by far, the smallest communities. PA has a single civilian billet for their next FY. I don't know what the selection numbers for Intel are but probably small as well. These are communities where officers hardly leave and many laterally transferred in after SWOs, pilots, or NFOs. The hardest part of applying to Intel for many is getting an officer interview for the boards. Many people can't find any because there are only so many (about 1300) and often located in specific areas (Hawaii, MD at Ft. Meade/Suitland, boats).

Least selective would be SWO. They are always looking for people who want to go on ships. I know in the past that if OCS applicants had SWO as a second or third choice, many Navy personnel would overlook top choices and send it straight to the SWO board.
laugh.gif
I highly doubt they do that now but just a heads up from an officer contact of mine. 

If I got selected, I wouldn't mind the wait as much because I have decent job and it would allow to prep in every way possible. Learn ranks, memorize General Orders for Sentries (know this if any of you get selected!) and Sailors creed, and just keep running.

Most selective is PA, followed by Intel. They are, by far, the smallest communities. PA has a single civilian billet for their next FY. I don't know what the selection numbers for Intel are but probably small as well. These are communities where officers hardly leave and many laterally transferred in after SWOs, pilots, or NFOs. The hardest part of applying to Intel for many is getting an officer interview for the boards. Many people can't find any because there are only so many (about 1300) and often located in specific areas (Hawaii, MD at Ft. Meade/Suitland, boats).

Least selective would be SWO. They are always looking for people who want to go on ships. I know in the past that if OCS applicants had SWO as a second or third choice, many Navy personnel would overlook top choices and send it straight to the SWO board.
laugh.gif
I highly doubt they do that now but just a heads up from an officer contact of mine. 

If I got selected, I wouldn't mind the wait as much because I have decent job and it would allow to prep in every way possible. Learn ranks, memorize General Orders for Sentries (know this if any of you get selected!) and Sailors creed, and just keep running.

laugh.gif

Is there any way to gauge your chances based on gpa, caliber or school attended, OAR score? I really wish I could get a better feel of the likelihood of me being selected. I have a 3.1 gpa from UGA and a 51 on the OAR. PT stuff is good (83 push-ups in 2 minutes, 93 curl-ups and a 10 minute 1.5 mile). I read an article last year that said the Navy is making a concerted effort to diversity so I hope that works to my advantage. I'm just sick of waiting 
mad.gif

laugh.gif

Is there any way to gauge your chances based on gpa, caliber or school attended, OAR score? I really wish I could get a better feel of the likelihood of me being selected. I have a 3.1 gpa from UGA and a 51 on the OAR. PT stuff is good (83 push-ups in 2 minutes, 93 curl-ups and a 10 minute 1.5 mile). I read an article last year that said the Navy is making a concerted effort to diversity so I hope that works to my advantage. I'm just sick of waiting 
mad.gif

...I am prior military...4thID...OIF vet...one semester left then gettin a grad degree...while its hard to find a job...the thought of OCS is always in the back of my head...

...my wife says she doesn't want me to go but the overall benefits are numerous...I love my freedom now compared to when I was enlisted but I just can't stop thinking if I should go OCS or warrant..

...but good luck to those about to enlist or enter the military...and god bless those currently serving...and always thank a veteran...

Back
Top Bottom