The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Lucky:

That pay table chart is pretty much standard across the board for all branches.

Basically, you'll be starting as an O-1 (2nd LT) and will be basically in charge of a platoon or be an XO working for a Company commander. This is my experience in the Army.

You said you have a degree in IT...do you happen to have certifications? The main thing about joining the military would be for the security (Secret or Top Secret) clearances. Especially in the IT field, that can prove handy when later going on to do Government Service jobs.

Good luck with whatever your decision is!
pimp.gif

We usually do TCS over to Kuwait.

Kuwait is way too easy. Hot as heck in the summers like everyone says, cooler Falls and Winters. They have everything you need there...PX, Food Courts and MWRs.

We usually do TCS over to Kuwait.

Kuwait is way too easy. Hot as heck in the summers like everyone says, cooler Falls and Winters. They have everything you need there...PX, Food Courts and MWRs.

Originally Posted by civickid96

Lucky:

Basically, you'll be starting as an O-1 (2nd LT) and will be basically in charge of a platoon or be an XO working for a Company commander. This is my experience in the Army.

You said you have a degree in IT...do you happen to have certifications? The main thing about joining the military would be for the security (Secret or Top Secret) clearances. Especially in the IT field, that can prove handy when later going on to do Government Service jobs.

pimp.gif

no certs, I could get an A+ with ease, I`m more so trying to do some kind of Analyst work/ MAYBE programming, are you saying certs would help with being put in a good position or you are speaking about afterwards?  My end goal career wise before retiring and becoming a professor is doing Project Management. Everyone I know that is in air force or has done it is telling me its a GOOD  look, and I could make BANK, but idk if they are just talking cause they do it/did it or what. Not being able to rock a mustache/ goatee will suck but thats life, like I said right now I`m doing research, it really looks like something that would be supremely beneficial being that I have a degree and have worked jobs, so after leaving the forces I would have a TON of experience compared to some of the straight from HS guys I've seen in the military who don't know anything but military life.

Lucky:

pimp.gif

no certs, I could get an A+ with ease, I`m more so trying to do some kind of Analyst work/ MAYBE programming, are you saying certs would help with being put in a good position or you are speaking about afterwards?  My end goal career wise before retiring and becoming a professor is doing Project Management. Everyone I know that is in air force or has done it is telling me its a GOOD  look, and I could make BANK, but idk if they are just talking cause they do it/did it or what. Not being able to rock a mustache/ goatee will suck but thats life, like I said right now I`m doing research, it really looks like something that would be supremely beneficial being that I have a degree and have worked jobs, so after leaving the forces I would have a TON of experience compared to some of the straight from HS guys I've seen in the military who don't know anything but military life.

Originally Posted by LuckyLuchiano

all of this
I joined at 22, and I know a bunch of other guys who joined in their mid to late 20's, and you can tell a big difference from some of the guys who joined straight out of high school.  That extra maturity and developed people skills will take you far especially as an officer

all of this
I joined at 22, and I know a bunch of other guys who joined in their mid to late 20's, and you can tell a big difference from some of the guys who joined straight out of high school.  That extra maturity and developed people skills will take you far especially as an officer

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

That pay schedule is kind of discouraging.
that pay chart isnt a true way to see how much you make. you still have base pay, housing allowance, special pay, and other things that factor in for your pay.

Lucky:

I'm 33 years old, joined the Army in 2009 as Enlisted (a big mistake). I had a degree like you that I earned back in 2002 in Psychology. If I wanted to make a career out of the military, I would have definitely signed up as commissioned officer. The big difference is that if you decide to go officer, you will go to OCS or whatever the equivalent of what that is in the Air Force. Once you pass their basic training, you end up where ever they decide to put you in. It might not even be in the field you want it to be.

I say if you want to stay technical and join the military, see what the requirements are to go Warrant Officer. I know the Army is desperately needing Signal Corp Warrant Officers. I know as enlisted, we'd have to reach at least E-5 and have a few NCOers (reviews) and then apply for school. As a Warrant Officer, you will directly work in your field and not have to worry about anything else.

Now before I get blasted for not going OCS, I have had quite the adventure in the military. Been to FLW, Joint Base Sam Houston (was gonna be a medic) but that didn't work out and ended up in Fort Gordon for 25B school (Information Systems Technology). After that, I've been stationed in Korea and now in South Carolina and have been deployed to Kuwait.

While being in the Army, I've gotten my Security Clearance, got Network+ and Security+ certified...all on the Army's dime. I'm working on my CISSP certification and looking to exit later this year, with getting a government or contract job. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me...be more than glad to talk s'more!
pimp.gif

Originally Posted by HAM CITY

That pay schedule is kind of discouraging.
that pay chart isnt a true way to see how much you make. you still have base pay, housing allowance, special pay, and other things that factor in for your pay.

Lucky:

I'm 33 years old, joined the Army in 2009 as Enlisted (a big mistake). I had a degree like you that I earned back in 2002 in Psychology. If I wanted to make a career out of the military, I would have definitely signed up as commissioned officer. The big difference is that if you decide to go officer, you will go to OCS or whatever the equivalent of what that is in the Air Force. Once you pass their basic training, you end up where ever they decide to put you in. It might not even be in the field you want it to be.

I say if you want to stay technical and join the military, see what the requirements are to go Warrant Officer. I know the Army is desperately needing Signal Corp Warrant Officers. I know as enlisted, we'd have to reach at least E-5 and have a few NCOers (reviews) and then apply for school. As a Warrant Officer, you will directly work in your field and not have to worry about anything else.

Now before I get blasted for not going OCS, I have had quite the adventure in the military. Been to FLW, Joint Base Sam Houston (was gonna be a medic) but that didn't work out and ended up in Fort Gordon for 25B school (Information Systems Technology). After that, I've been stationed in Korea and now in South Carolina and have been deployed to Kuwait.

While being in the Army, I've gotten my Security Clearance, got Network+ and Security+ certified...all on the Army's dime. I'm working on my CISSP certification and looking to exit later this year, with getting a government or contract job. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me...be more than glad to talk s'more!
pimp.gif

Lucky:

pimp.gif

check your PM

Lucky:

pimp.gif

check your PM

Originally Posted by arhymingape12

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Originally Posted by Xavier

he aint lying..... place was hotter than iraq...... the sandstorms there were
sick.gif
sick.gif
 at night the wind picks up a good bit......

the px's and resturants was nice used to hit up charleys every night.... they have bk, starbucks all that extra stuff.

You guys weren't kidding, It's hot as hell here and its not even July-August yet..

You from the New York National Guard? They got y'all at AJ?

KNB right now. I work at both tho. This is cake tho. We were training for Afghanistan and that got shut down so I got sent here.

Originally Posted by arhymingape12

Originally Posted by SnkrFrk

Originally Posted by Xavier

he aint lying..... place was hotter than iraq...... the sandstorms there were
sick.gif
sick.gif
 at night the wind picks up a good bit......

the px's and resturants was nice used to hit up charleys every night.... they have bk, starbucks all that extra stuff.

You guys weren't kidding, It's hot as hell here and its not even July-August yet..

You from the New York National Guard? They got y'all at AJ?

KNB right now. I work at both tho. This is cake tho. We were training for Afghanistan and that got shut down so I got sent here.

Originally Posted by yungchris504

and to ryair max can one be denied from the Air Force? Or is the aptitude test used for job placement?

With me having a CIS degree when becoming an officer do they assign me something IT related or what ever or do I apply for positions or what how does that work, I know I could use good but I prefer to hear from one of you guys.
AFOQT is part of an entry package towards getting accepted towards AF OTS. From the OTS wiki...

"Interested applicants typically contact Air Force recruiters. Recruiters will provide application details; they will also schedule applicants for the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT). The test covers numerous batteries, assessing math, verbal, and analytical skills, as well as measuring pilot and navigator potential. To have a reasonable chance at acceptance, either AFOQT scores, college GPA, or previous pilot skills must be noteworthy. Applicants will be given an opportunity to apply for Air Force career fields that correspond with the applicants' expertise and/or desires. Applicants will be interviewed by active Air Force officers and will receive a medical examination. Applicants will be notified of acceptance or rejection by their recruiter. Applicants will enlist via the Delayed Enlistment Program, and will be assigned a class date. BOT is very competitive, with recent boards having selection rates below twenty percent. It is the commissioning source which is used to balance out officer manning as deemed necessary by the Air Force."

If not applying as a pilot you might be able to just take the math, verbal, and analytical skills portion. I can only speak for the Navy process but when applying for a non-pilot position, those were the only sections I took (called Officer Aptitude Rating). The AFOQT plays a decent sized part in getting accepted and yes they can turn you down if you don't get the minimum and the higher the score, the more competitive your package.

Originally Posted by yungchris504

and to ryair max can one be denied from the Air Force? Or is the aptitude test used for job placement?

With me having a CIS degree when becoming an officer do they assign me something IT related or what ever or do I apply for positions or what how does that work, I know I could use good but I prefer to hear from one of you guys.
AFOQT is part of an entry package towards getting accepted towards AF OTS. From the OTS wiki...

"Interested applicants typically contact Air Force recruiters. Recruiters will provide application details; they will also schedule applicants for the Air Force Officer Qualifying Test (AFOQT). The test covers numerous batteries, assessing math, verbal, and analytical skills, as well as measuring pilot and navigator potential. To have a reasonable chance at acceptance, either AFOQT scores, college GPA, or previous pilot skills must be noteworthy. Applicants will be given an opportunity to apply for Air Force career fields that correspond with the applicants' expertise and/or desires. Applicants will be interviewed by active Air Force officers and will receive a medical examination. Applicants will be notified of acceptance or rejection by their recruiter. Applicants will enlist via the Delayed Enlistment Program, and will be assigned a class date. BOT is very competitive, with recent boards having selection rates below twenty percent. It is the commissioning source which is used to balance out officer manning as deemed necessary by the Air Force."

If not applying as a pilot you might be able to just take the math, verbal, and analytical skills portion. I can only speak for the Navy process but when applying for a non-pilot position, those were the only sections I took (called Officer Aptitude Rating). The AFOQT plays a decent sized part in getting accepted and yes they can turn you down if you don't get the minimum and the higher the score, the more competitive your package.

Just to give you a little bit of insight. I went into the navy as an IT officer. its a pretty competitive process to get in given the fact that the military is downsizing. so if you are serious about joining I would go talk to a recruiter as of yesterday. It has been the best decision I've made in life so far. And not that I was even doing bad on the outside...I had my own place, car, good gov job in grad school etc...I just wanted a change and something challenging.

Just to give you a little bit of insight. I went into the navy as an IT officer. its a pretty competitive process to get in given the fact that the military is downsizing. so if you are serious about joining I would go talk to a recruiter as of yesterday. It has been the best decision I've made in life so far. And not that I was even doing bad on the outside...I had my own place, car, good gov job in grad school etc...I just wanted a change and something challenging.

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

where are you stationed?

Originally Posted by SoleWoman

where are you stationed?

Back
Top Bottom