The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

I can't stop thinking about retraining to aircrew maaaan. I dont even care what it is Loadmaster, FE, AG. I just HAVE to be Aircrew. It's my calling and I would be so depressed if my retraining package wont get picked up. doing what you love>>>money

I just want this to be my office everyday

What's better? Air Force or the army?

I know I'll get a lot of replys with different answers. Mom & bro are in the army.

I'm 2 years into college 56 credits.

Also thinking of doing the WCAP for Track.

any reservists/ reserve officers in here?

how are they seen professionally in the eyes of federal agencies? obviously former AD guys get vet pref for hiring position but are reservists given certain considerations?

the ones i know are private sector so their experiences are different when dealing with work than those in the government/public sector.

Last edited:
Highly considering joining the military, always been a dream of mine to serve. I'm young and single, nothing tying me down, figured now is my best chance.
I'm mainly interested in Air Force and Navy, but open to any branch. Even National Guard if thats the only thing I can get.

Would greatly appreciate it if a member from each branch could chip in on daily life, pros and cons, downtime hobbies, etc.

Basic information:
20 years old
Current college student, second semester freshman.
Interested in getting a job in either Special Warfare or Information & Technology.
Wouldn't mind being infantry for awhile, but I want to take what I learn in the military and make it a career when I get out.

Thanks in advance for reading and responding.

Wouldn't mind being infantry for awhile, but I want to take what I learn in the military and make it a career when I get out.

if thats what you want id suggest staying away from infantry and going for IT.

TA is officially back. To my active duty heads, take advantage, there is no guarantee it will be the same next fiscal year. Get that CCAF and bachelors if you haven't already. #promote

Im currently in New York, considering join the military ....but looking do it out west like California, would it be possible to join in NYC and being stationed in California? not sure if it's a dumb question or not. Im 24 with a B.A. in criminal justice if that matters...what oppurnities would i have with a degree? thanks in advance

Im currently in New York, considering join the military ....but looking do it out west like California, would it be possible to join in NYC and being stationed in California? not sure if it's a dumb question or not. Im 24 with a B.A. in criminal justice if that matters...what oppurnities would i have with a degree? thanks in advance

im confused about what you're asking......you can join the military from anywhere but they can also station you anywhere in the world. Are you just tryna stay stateside? If you wanna guarantee California then consider moving there and join their Guard and Reserves

if you have a bachelor's degree then definitely go the officer route......but if you go enlisted you will advance in rank right away (e-3 for most branch, e-4 in the army)

Highly considering joining the military, always been a dream of mine to serve. I'm young and single, nothing tying me down, figured now is my best chance.
I'm mainly interested in Air Force and Navy, but open to any branch. Even National Guard if thats the only thing I can get.

Would greatly appreciate it if a member from each branch could chip in on daily life, pros and cons, downtime hobbies, etc.

Basic information:
20 years old
Current college student, second semester freshman.
Interested in getting a job in either Special Warfare or Information & Technology.

Air Force here

Daily life varies on what type of job you have but most airmen work 8-9 hours, weekends/holidays off
One of the best things about the military is definitely traveling, I've been to the philippines, south korea, currently in England.....TDY's to alaska, thailand, singapore
You can do whatever you want on your downtime obviously besides the illegal stuff lol except if you get stationed in kadena i hear they're strict as hell down there right now

blacktopking319 - What was training like?
Will I have time, right after graduation, to visit family and say farewell?

Any advice or tips that you wish you would've known heading into BMT would be greatly appreciated.

blacktopking319 - What was training like?
Will I have time, right after graduation, to visit family and say farewell?

Any advice or tips that you wish you would've known heading into BMT would be greatly appreciated.
basic was very easy to me. make sure u are in shape when u go and do alot of running before hand. Drill sgt will try to mind **** u but its all bs in my opinion becuase for most part i did what i wanted to do. I went to ft benning; get people to write to u...mail time is the best time(dont want to be the only one not getting mail and some a hole making fun of u) expect for breakfast. Eat has much has u can for breakfast because if u gong to the range that day then u will have mre to eat and maybe field dinners back at your barrack which both suck and not filling. Measure your days and weeks by breakfast lunch and dinner. Go to church on sunday plus the bible is a good past time and knowledge. The jewish service is what i went to on sunday service they had juice to drink along with bagels to eat and pastries. I felt like i was on top of the world eating after chuch since no suger is allow to be eating but there ways aroun that like how u can eat the candy in the mres but your drill sgt may come up bs about it( just son the drill sgt about how u can it and its in the regs). Basic is just to easy to give up on when u are there. Do your 13 weeks and come home or go to ait. I can go on for days with stories of my time. If u need some more info just holla

im confused about what you're asking......you can join the military from anywhere but they can also station you anywhere in the world. Are you just tryna stay stateside? If you wanna guarantee California then consider moving there and join their Guard and Reserves

if you have a bachelor's degree then definitely go the officer route......but if you go enlisted you will advance in rank right away (e-3 for most branch, e-4 in the army)

Sorry for not making my self clearer. If I'm saying anything wrong it's because I'm not too familiar with how the military works, so if anybody can correct any misconceptions I have please do. I'm currently living in NYC, I want to move to Cali and join the military also, so i figured if possible kills to birds with one stone by enlisting in the military and being stationed in Cali. I know that some people are stationed state side, if i joined would i have the option of being exclusively stationed in Cali ? If i join for 4 years , how much of that time could/ would i spend abroad? If i sign up in NYC could i be transfered to Cali?

Sorry for the 21 questions, and If my questions are stupid, my bad... I just don't know how the process works.

Sorry for not making my self clearer. If I'm saying anything wrong it's because I'm not too familiar with how the military works, so if anybody can correct any misconceptions I have please do. I'm currently living in NYC, I want to move to Cali and join the military also, so i figured if possible kills to birds with one stone by enlisting in the military and being stationed in Cali. I know that some people are stationed state side, if i joined would i have the option of being exclusively stationed in Cali ? If i join for 4 years , how much of that time could/ would i spend abroad? If i sign up in NYC could i be transfered to Cali?

Sorry for the 21 questions, and If my questions are stupid, my bad... I just don't know how the process works.

when you join the military you become their asset. meaning, you have no control over when or where you're going because you belong to them.

all you can hope for is a dream sheet where you put your desired locations. the military may choose your new location from that dream sheet, and they might not.

as someone suggested, the only guaranteed way to be stationed IN california, is moving there and joining the guard or reserves.

other than that its a crap shoot, no guarantees on locations.

now, with all that said alot of people chance that crap shoot and are successful.

some people join the active military with the intent of being stationed in a certain place and it works out for them. i wouldnt suggest it.

:nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat: :nthat:

Ya boooy just got approved OHA/BAH as a single A1C. That happens almost never but hard work does pay off and people do notice. Bout to get paid :smokin

sup my name is Xavier been in the Guard for 6 years... been deployed to Iraq in 2010 doing convoy security..... got my e-5 this jan....... I have 57 credits one class away from getting my associate degree was thinking about going to the green and gold smp program. was wondering should I>?

sup my name is Xavier been in the Guard for 6 years... been deployed to Iraq in 2010 doing convoy security..... got my e-5 this jan....... I have 57 credits one class away from getting my associate degree was thinking about going to the green and gold smp program. was wondering should I>?
i would its a lot different from the enlisted side unless u want to continue your path down the nco route. Also u should move up alot quicker depending out your drive. 6 years...e-5 seems a little to long for me. o yea plus more money if u worried about that. 
laugh.gif

its a lot harder to get your e-5 in the guard than active duty....

most people dont even get it lol there whole careers state cant afford to promote everybody.... i got 300's for the past two years on my pt test kinda un heard of in my unit....

but i see you from br im from lafayette where you stationed at?

i was looking at the pay chart comparing officers to ncos.... and officers make a grip more than ncos

Are some of you making bank? If so, how? I know you can't get rich in the military, and that's not the point of joining, but this is highly important if you ask me.

Are some of you making bank? If so, how? I know you can't get rich in the military, and that's not the point of joining, but this is highly important if you ask me.

how much bank are we talking? you gotta think about it like this, all your basic needs are taken care of so your base pay, allowances, COLA etc..... most likely 90% of it is expendable income.....there are a lot of opportunities to stack up

its a lot harder to get your e-5 in the guard than active duty....

most people dont even get it lol there whole careers state cant afford to promote everybody.... i got 300's for the past two years on my pt test kinda un heard of in my unit....

but i see you from br im from lafayette where you stationed at?
928 Napoleonville..... My roommate is in a Lafayette unit tho.

Back
Top Bottom