The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

My Buddy in the Navy picked up e4 in just a year and change TIS......it kinda pisses me off how fast other branches promote not gonna lie I won BTZ but it still took me 2.5 years... :rolleyes

One last question, before I see a recruiter.

Do you get promoted due to time,

or could I be such an exemplary soldier/airmen

that I get promoted "early"?

The best part is really the supplemental income. Unless you're an officer, the 20-year retirement isn't OMG. You rate 50%. If you retire as an E8, you're probably looking at $2,300-$2,400 before taxes. You can also file for disability. There's also social security later on. But that's not bad if you get another job.

Like I know a Captain that just retired. So we'll say $3 K. And then say $500 in disability. He did IT and I want to say he went to a GS14 or muckity muck job so he's making decent money, probably clearing $100K easy.

3k a month... Lol nah. It's not that easy. It's 50 percent of your base pay at the rank you retire. Not to mention enlisted pay also.

And of course you collect your pension and can work another federal job. I'll be retiring from the military at 46 with free medical and dental plus going to another federal IT job.

Last edited:
No offense, I'd say you don't know what you're talking about. You can retire from the military...get hired on a GS/Federal job...collect your military pension...work 20-30 more years...retire again...

Now you CAN sell your Tim back if you want to buy into the Federal retirement program with the time you served in the military.

Many ways to skin a cat.

I know a guy who retired in May. He was a retired USAF E7 (20 years). Did 20 years as a GS (he was a 12 when he retired). Now he's going to be a local contractor.

But the key take away is if you like the military life. I'm grateful for the medical insurance. My daughter is special needs and Tricare has covered most of it. I could probably make more money working in the civilian sector but I'd like to finish out.
If that's the case, that's great. However, I'm not entirely to sure you can collect a federal pension and then work for another federal job in order to collect one pensions while working a federal job. Can you please post your source? I'm curious to know ... Sounds like a good gig.

We all know people ... Just like this one guy that retire from the MC and got hired at a local ROTC location. He didn't get retirement ... He got to get pay at his pay grade when he retired and collect the BAH from the location. Maybe when he is done with the ROTc he will collect two pensions.

I believe you will only be able to collect 2 pensions once you retired from your second federal job but not collect military pension and while working another federal job.

Last edited:
3k a month... Lol nah. It's not that easy. It's 50 percent of your base pay at the rank you retire. Not to mention enlisted pay also.

And of course you collect your pension and can work another federal job. I'll be retiring from the military at 46 with free medical and dental plus going to another federal IT job.
Its your highest rank you achieved when retired 

One last question, before I see a recruiter.
Do you get promoted due to time,
or could I be such an exemplary soldier/airmen
that I get promoted "early"?

I'll try to answer most of your questions....

-Yes you can make a career out of the military
-After basic training, you move on to training for your specific job
-There are programs for specific ranks to move up but from what I've seen anything after e6 is all earned the normal way, time in grade, testing etc.....

Right.... Is that not what I said?

Legitimately asking. Not trying to be a jerk
Na im not being smart or anything but lets say a CPT gets demoted then at retirement he still get CPT pay. You could have been saying it this way but some may not have understood it the way you put it.

Na im not being smart or anything but lets say a CPT gets demoted then at retirement he still get CPT pay. You could have been saying it this way but some may not have understood it the way you put it.

Oh ok gotcha. Didn't think about that. But yeah it's not common for officers to get demoted at least not navy. You just going home.

Officers.. punished? 
laugh.gif

They just get "repositioned".

Officers.. punished? :lol:

They just get "repositioned".

Officers go home. You do anything stupid... You're going home. Depending on the severity you will get fired from your job then sent to a admin job and the rest of your fitreps will be trash forcing you to retire or get out.

I'm an O2 in the navy. I've seen and heard a lot already.

Last edited:
Flashback to 2004 56 CMS XMAS party at Luke Air Force Base.....
Some Guy who was a legit Comedian was hosting.............................. Fast FWD to 2005, he's not supposed to shoot on the Colenel (Wing Commander) This year. Went too hard the year prior....

key joke.............. Guy wearing a HUGE BELT BUCKLE Wildin' thinkin' he doin' it got called out............. "HARD ON BASE".... "Don't act like that when you exit that gate" LOL!!!!

Could I be a career military guy (wow that sounded funny)?
Like could I just stay in for the rest of my life?

Rest of your life? NO. You wouldnt want to honestly. If you do join make it past your first enlistment and then go on. Alot of guys and girls I was in BCT/AIT with who was all hooah and etc all got out after the first 3 years....The reasons vary.

I tell everyone if you join any service start with the shortest contract you can get for your mos etc and see if you like it first.

I think the part some of you are missing is Navy has LDO, Marine Corps has warrant officers, LDO and commissioned officers, Army has WOs, commissioned officers...Air Force blah, blah, blah.

The Captain I used in my example was a Marine Corps warrant officer who went LDO. So he retired as a captain. He actually got selected for major but it would've required another two year obligation in order to get the 04 retirement.

And it is a fact you can collect the two retirements:

http://blogs.federaltimes.com/federal-retirement/tag/military-retired-pay/

It's early but you can do a Google search...talk to DFAS...your administration shop that handles pay...the federal/GS HR office...etc.

My current J code director is a SES (1-star equivalent) and a retired Army colonel. Now I don't know what he's doing as I'm not cool with him like that. But if he wanted, he could get his colonel retirement and get that 100K annual pay.

And never say never as far as the career option; however, it really is about adjusting to a new way of life. Some can handle it, some cannot. I remember saying I was going to get out after my first contract. Next thing you know, I was like hmm...maybe this isn't all bad. Now, the allure of outside is great because I've been doing IT, gotten numerous certifications and a degree. But I'm going to try my best to finish.

Anybody have any experience with getting any money back taken from you after getting your discharged changed from a general to honorable? For ex. I had my discharge upgraded to a honorable but when I got out because I got a general and didn't complete my re enlisted term(I got a bonus) they took my money from taxes and didn't pay me my last check that had 25 days of leave on it. Any help much appreciated.

Just a heads up to my fellow brothers and sisters serving , I am/was TAD, or TDY for the non Navy folks, and I was in DFW international airport trying to find spots within the airport for which I could smoke without having to go outside and come back through TSA and all of that, and I stumbled upon the American Airlines website, which is the airline I'm flying and here's what I found out doing research:

If you're active duty you pay nothing to go into the admiral's club. Now, you may be saying what's the big deal, well I'll tell you.

I went to the admiral's club with this knowledge to see if it would work, it did. I went to the desk, presented my military id, my boarding pass, and my orders. BOOM, in there. Free beer, wine, and spirits. And plus it is just a chill atmosphere overall, no noise, just a chill lounge where you can get right. Even if you don't drink it still is cool because you can get soft drinks and snacks while you are waiting out your layover. I never got to smoke inside but it was worth it for a peace of mind, and I got right. Sorry if this was posted before, I thought it would be nice to share because with the Navy I go TAD a lot, and I know you guys do too. Btw, this was with American Airlines, idk about the other carriers.

Say word!!! I've been traveling on orders and off wit them for 6 yrs and never knew....Nomore 14 dollor shots you the man op!!! Repped

Just a heads up to my fellow brothers and sisters serving , I am/was TAD, or TDY for the non Navy folks, and I was in DFW international airport trying to find spots within the airport for which I could smoke without having to go outside and come back through TSA and all of that, and I stumbled upon the American Airlines website, which is the airline I'm flying and here's what I found out doing research:

If you're active duty you pay nothing to go into the admiral's club. Now, you may be saying what's the big deal, well I'll tell you.

I went to the admiral's club with this knowledge to see if it would work, it did. I went to the desk, presented my military id, my boarding pass, and my orders. BOOM, in there. Free beer, wine, and spirits. And plus it is just a chill atmosphere overall, no noise, just a chill lounge where you can get right. Even if you don't drink it still is cool because you can get soft drinks and snacks while you are waiting out your layover. I never got to smoke inside but it was worth it for a peace of mind, and I got right. Sorry if this was posted before, I thought it would be nice to share because with the Navy I go TAD a lot, and I know you guys do too. Btw, this was with American Airlines, idk about the other carriers.
Well since I am an employee and a member of the military I should get doubles pretty quick

Back
Top Bottom