The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Just a heads up to my fellow brothers and sisters serving , I am/was TAD, or TDY for the non Navy folks, and I was in DFW international airport trying to find spots within the airport for which I could smoke without having to go outside and come back through TSA and all of that, and I stumbled upon the American Airlines website, which is the airline I'm flying and here's what I found out doing research:

If you're active duty you pay nothing to go into the admiral's club. Now, you may be saying what's the big deal, well I'll tell you.

I went to the admiral's club with this knowledge to see if it would work, it did. I went to the desk, presented my military id, my boarding pass, and my orders. BOOM, in there. Free beer, wine, and spirits. And plus it is just a chill atmosphere overall, no noise, just a chill lounge where you can get right. Even if you don't drink it still is cool because you can get soft drinks and snacks while you are waiting out your layover. I never got to smoke inside but it was worth it for a peace of mind, and I got right. Sorry if this was posted before, I thought it would be nice to share because with the Navy I go TAD a lot, and I know you guys do too. Btw, this was with American Airlines, idk about the other carriers.

Even if you aren't on orders you can utilize this. I do it all the time when traveling and I have a long layover. Also you can go to any USO and if there isn't one usually the airline you travel with will let you chill in their preferred members club or the equivalent of admiral. Mostly free food blankets places to sleep shower toya for kids you name it.

I'm a Registered Nurse and really considering going into the military reserves this October (when they release new benefits). I went earlier in the year and they said their budget was exhausted, new benefits released in Oct. 

Any thoughts or input is appreciated

^ From a professional perspective: Experience, traveling, Samaritan work, helping folks in other countries

Financial: Tuition assistance, Loan repayment

I'm not ready for a full time commitment as I'm still fresh in my field, plans to go back to school in near future 

Finally...

Pinned to Chief!!:smokin

Congrats. I know it's an important rank on the enlisted side and there's a little haze/training prior to pinning on.

Congrats chief it felt so good to see my first classes who made chief in their khakis

anyone with Military Working Dog Handler experience? seems pretty cool and exciting of having a dog

Last edited:
Any of you all know if 25B is a good mos? That may be the one I choose.

Yes. I am a former 25B (2009-2012) and you will go to Fort Gordon for school training for I believe 19 weeks. I ETS'd out in 2012 and I now work at the MEPS here in San Francisco as a government civilian.

25B can set you up for success whether you stay in or get out.

Last edited:
Seems like a easy job but I can see it being demanding at times depending on how many people are in your company. Is this active or reserve 

Yes. I am a former 25B (2009-2012) and you will go to Fort Gordon for school training for I believe 19 weeks. I ETS'd out in 2012 and I now work at the MEPS here in San Francisco as a government civilian.

25B can set you up for success whether you stay in or get out.

Yes I'm going active duty and that sounds great because this is the mos I'm most interested in. Thank you both for the feedback.

Seems like a easy job but I can see it being demanding at times depending on how many people are in your company. Is this active or reserve 
Yes I'm going active duty and that sounds great because this is the mos I'm most interested in. Thank you both for the feedback.
Cool bean son Let me know if you get that MOS. Are there any other MOS that you are looking at?

Cool bean son Let me know if you get that MOS. Are there any other MOS that you are looking at?

I'm gonna sit down and read some more into the others I qualify tonight and I'll come back and see if you can give me some more insight. I'd appreciate all the help.

Back
Top Bottom