The Official Military Thread. Vol 1

Been waiting for MEPS to give me the green light about my medical records. Was dumb enough to put "yes" on the medical questionnaire down at MEPS and was denied until the ME down there approved me after jumping through a bunch of hoops.

The more they make me wait, the more I second guess it. To the point where I'm not even going to call my recruiter anymore about it; obviously they aint in any hurry to enlist me......unless this Syria thing gets more real than we could hope for.

My branch of choice is Navy. My recruiter is getting me set to go to MEPS at the top of August. I've taken the ASVAB(scored ok I suppose) have few questions if anyone can help me out. How is life in America's Navy? Pros/cons? Perks? How was boot camp? I've heard it the easiest of all branches but what can I expect at Great Lakes? How to assure myself a Rating on a fleet and not a submarine?

Sorry for all the questions but any answers/advice would be helpful. Thanks in advance.

Boot Camp is cake walk I went through in 99 and its much easier now.

Like in the Navy is like going to work from 9-5 everyday, unless you are on deployment then its 12 hour days 7 days a week. Its not bad cause on the boat you cant go anywhere anyway but to your rack.

Pros= Steady check, sometimes great people, travel, once in a lifetime experiences, will learn to work hard and party harder and ect
Cons= No control of your life but you sign that over at MEPS.

Depending on the rate depends on if you could be sent to a sub or boat. Aviation rates don't get sent to Subs cause there are no planes on subs. Pretty much any other rate can be sent to a sub except Seabee rates. Each rate has a different sea to shore rotation, meaning years on sea duty and shore duty. Sea Duty means you are stationed to a sea going command, I have seen some sea going commands never got to sea. Shore duty means you are stationed at to command on a base and you never go out to sea. Back to the sea to shore rotation, I was a (AS) Aviation Support Equipment Technician, my rotation was 4/3, for every four years at sea I had to spend 3 on shore. As I stated before this changes from rate to rate, AT's Air Traffic Controllers had a 2/5 rotation which was good but was bad when they tried to advance. Most qualifications you will need to advance or only obtainable if you are on a boat. My daughters mom has been in 13 years and just got sent to a boat last month. She is up to advance to E7 but she needs qualifications to compete with her peers. 13 yrs without them will look bad.

Each rate has their own fate. Some rates get more work than others. Each command is different.

I would stongly advise that you not go in undesignated, they will tell you can shop your rate when you get to a boat and strike it when you are up to test. That can take a couple years especially if you go in as an e1. You cant strike until you test for e4. There way too much uncertainly going undesignated. Do good in A School cause the top of the class picks orders first and so on.

Oh I was a Seabee as well, they dont go on boats and they fly to their deployment destinations. I like it because if you didn't have class, we would pt in early in the am and not have anything to do the rest of the day. Their were days I was back in my room at 730am asleep. I would not suggest Seabees though. PM and will come back to explain.

Good Luck

Been waiting for MEPS to give me the green light about my medical records. Was dumb enough to put "yes" on the medical questionnaire down at MEPS and was denied until the ME down there approved me after jumping through a bunch of hoops.

The more they make me wait, the more I second guess it. To the point where I'm not even going to call my recruiter anymore about it; obviously they aint in any hurry to enlist me......unless this Syria thing gets more real than we could hope for.

I was in your position when i joined. I had to wait over a year for an injury i sustained to clear and needed to wait almost three months for two medical waivers. It's a really long process. I went Air Force and they're pretty picky with who they select nowadays. So many people trying to join and they are taking less and less people so they can be picky with who they choose.

MEPS is the worst. I put "yes" on some of the stuff they asked on the medical questionnaire, and they called my recruiters and started yelling at themvand **** because I didn't tell them before I went to MEPS. So basically I witheld info, but I guess I got lucky cuz they told me they were gonna go ahead and let me in anyway.

So excited to go to basic training in November. I even finally cut my mile time down to the single digits today.

I gotta get out of this hellhole city/state (Brookhaven, Mississippi) I live in, and REALLY live life.

MEPS is the worst. I put "yes" on some of the stuff they asked on the medical questionnaire, and they called my recruiters and started yelling at themvand **** because I didn't tell them before I went to MEPS. So basically I witheld info, but I guess I got lucky cuz they told me they were gonna go ahead and let me in anyway.

So excited to go to basic training in November. I even finally cut my mile time down to the single digits today.

I gotta get out of this hellhole city/state (Brookhaven, Mississippi) I live in, and REALLY live life.

Yeah MEPS sucks, i had to go there a lot for medical stuff and get waivers etc. Good luck with your military career.

Canadian Forces checking in

Anyone here a member of a foreign military? Seems like everybody is from one of the branches of the US Military.

Anyone here a member of a foreign military? Seems like everybody is from one of the branches of the US Military.

I did a field op with the canadian army.  All those dudes told me that they dont like hockey, I dont get it lol
They're probably messing with you and pretending not to be the stereotypical Canadian :lol:

I'm not the biggest fan of hockey either though

I did a field op with the canadian army.  All those dudes told me that they dont like hockey, I dont get it lol
They're probably messing with you and pretending not to be the stereotypical Canadian
laugh.gif

I'm not the biggest fan of hockey either though
I hate your uniforms too.  Those painted on camo patterns ect.  What do you do in the Canadian military?

I'm a Marine vet, current Army National Guard (hate it), and working on getting in this ROTC program so I can get my commission when I graduate

I hate your uniforms too.  Those painted on camo patterns ect.  What do you do in the Canadian military?

I'm a Marine vet, current Army National Guard (hate it), and working on getting in this ROTC program so I can get my commission when I graduate
Well the Marine Corp must love our camo pattern or else they wouldn't base their MARPAT off of our CADPAT

I'm an Army Reservist (Infantry). Planning on transferring over to the Regular Force (full time) once I'm finished school.

Well the Marine Corp must love our camo pattern or else they wouldn't base their MARPAT off of our CADPAT

I'm an Army Reservist (Infantry). Planning on transferring over to the Regular Force (full time) once I'm finished school.
Naw the pattern is DOPE. I hate the execution though.  I just feel like they're screwing their soldiers over with the painted on setup.  Alot of those guys (and gals 
devil.gif
 ) uniforms were completely scraped blank after 2 weeks in the field.  They were pissed 
laugh.gif

but I ***** with you though, Infantry is what its all about

Last edited:

I was in your position when i joined. I had to wait over a year for an injury i sustained to clear and needed to wait almost three months for two medical waivers. It's a really long process. I went Air Force and they're pretty picky with who they select nowadays. So many people trying to join and they are taking less and less people so they can be picky with who they choose.

MEPS finally gave me the green light but now it's too late, at least for me to join in the city I'm in now since I'm probably going to be moving within the next year.

MEPS finally gave me the green light but now it's too late, at least for me to join in the city I'm in now since I'm probably going to be moving within the next year.

Well if you can ship to basic by the time you move i think you'll be fine. What branch are you going for again?

So I plan on joining the airforce after I finish school in the spring,
But I had a question about MEPS.

So when I was 6 I broke my leg it healed perfectly, It gives me no issues
And I've played sports my whole life. But my question is will MEPS disqualify
Me for that injury?

hmmmm i just wouldnt tell them about the injury but thats just me. Its harder to get into the military let along the air force. I tried being honest when i went to MEPS and the civilian there told me that would reject me for some of the issues i put down. To me they were nothing big but im in now.

Anyone here stationed at Ramstein? I'm PCS'ing there in October, currently in tech school at Keesler AFB. Any good tips for when i get there or while i'm there? Thanks.
Yoooooo I'm out here now mane. You in the dorms or you staying off base?

hmmmm i just wouldnt tell them about the injury but thats just me. Its harder to get into the military let along the air force. I tried being honest when i went to MEPS and the civilian there told me that would reject me for some of the issues i put down. To me they were nothing big but im in now.

But I also have a huge scar from where the bone punctured through the skin.
I'm positive my doctor will approve it, I'm just concerned about MEPS and hearing how strict they are

Back
Top Bottom