--- THE OFFICIAL NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS THREAD --- OFFSEASON THREAD

What Are You Concerned About Heading Into This Season???

• Brady turning 40

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Safety

• Gostkowski

• Total voters
malcolm butler has definitely had a down year this year so far compared to last year. was listening to the radio and this was again brought up (something we've discussed in here before a couple times). the defensive coaching our CBs receive has time and again led to a decline in play. devin mccourty. logan ryan. and now butler. all came in and BALLED their first year as starter. their play quickly declined the next year. it has to be the coaching they're getting from Beardy. something he's doing is just getting these guys off their game. that instinctive play in their first year is replaced with something like almost being coached up too much and asking them to do too much. i hope butler can get back on track. let him just play man and not think too much.

While I do agree with you that something is going on with coaching regarding CBs, Butler is actually having a better year numbers wise. Numbers don't always tell the whole story tho since he had a lot tougher matchups last year in those games.

Example
At this time last year, Butler gave up 58% of his targets for 320 yards & 4 TDs. This year, he's a t 50% for 245 yards and ZERO touchdowns

Logan Ryan is really struggling tho. Cyrus jones looks like a huge bust. I don't even know if he's made a positive play all year.and Coleman was inactive last week.
Excited to see Rowe tho. Maybes he's able to pick up some slack.
Luckily our safety play is one of the best. Chung is so underrated and harmons gonna get payed big by someone else next year lol.

Last edited:
malcolm butler has definitely had a down year this year so far compared to last year. was listening to the radio and this was again brought up (something we've discussed in here before a couple times). the defensive coaching our CBs receive has time and again led to a decline in play. devin mccourty. logan ryan. and now butler. all came in and BALLED their first year as starter. their play quickly declined the next year. it has to be the coaching they're getting from Beardy. something he's doing is just getting these guys off their game. that instinctive play in their first year is replaced with something like almost being coached up too much and asking them to do too much. i hope butler can get back on track. let him just play man and not think too much.

While I do agree with you that something is going on with coaching regarding CBs, Butler is actually having a better year numbers wise. Numbers don't always tell the whole story tho since he had a lot tougher matchups last year in those games.

Example
At this time last year, Butler gave up 58% of his targets for 320 yards & 4 TDs. This year, he's a t 50% for 245 yards and ZERO touchdowns.

yeah this was actually also a huge part of the discussion. half the dudes thought he was having a better year based on the numbers. but the so called expert (Greg Bedard) said there really is only the eye test for corners, and he's been bombing the season from that standpoint. he brought up a couple plays to show he just looks "lost" at times out there.

i dunno. whatever it is, i think our defense as a whole will be fine. just based off the strength of the front seven.

the decline of Malcolm Butler :nerd:

i'm half kidding. he's made some plays today. but man LaFell just COOKED him on that TD

score was very close to what i heard people predicting

though that does not account for game play

good Win tho

:nthat:

someone earlier today asked me what The Pats record was & I mistakenly told them 5-1 :tongue: :wink:

that game was ALL second half adjustments, man. great job. i'd even say that final offensive possession of the first half. really good job by the coaches to make adjustments and then obviously the team to execute.

DSK mentioned it in the main thread but today showed it so much. Hightower is just flat out crucial to this defense. if you had to pick him or Collins, you gotta go Hightower. i do hope we keep both though.

Eric Rowe had a nice debut for us. really came in and helped in the 2nd half when we switched it up with 3 corners. did a good job on AJ as well.

James White (although atrocious in pass protection) was great today catching the ball out of the backfield. Gronk is officially byke.

Offensive line finally figured it out but god damn. they were getting WORKED even though the Bengals were only rushing 4.

Gronk and Blount need to chill with the trash talk though. that was ALL Gronk who started the mess. i get he was pissed at Pac for going low, but c'mon man. we were cooking. keep your cool.

overall, real good win. great to see us start slow but keep our composure and turn it on strong in the 2nd half.

Last edited:
I'm cool with the trash talk, but they need to be careful because they already got a huge target on themselves just for being who they are.

Happy to see a dominant second half though. Love love love this team.

and i forgot to shout out Elandon Roberts. dude has come in and been tremendous for us. has done a GREAT job so far.

Defense looked good when it matter in the 2nd half :pimp:

No Collins//Freeny? No problem with Dont'a out there taking charge :pimp: :pimp:

Roberts also looked solid as you said DSA. Didn't see Mingo as much as I thought.

The O-Line was getting bullied early but I don't know what Scarneccia told them but they looked great after. TB with time is surgical

Gronk's back at 100% :pimp: :pimp:

Any word on Lewis's timetable to return? The offense is already getting in rhythm without him,can;t imagine when he gets back :lol: :x

Oh and father time? Who the **** is that? :lol:

In 2 games back:

View media item 2200418

Last edited:
Any word on Lewis's timetable to return? The offense is already getting in rhythm without him,can;t imagine when he gets back :lol: :x

he's been seen strutting around the locker room and in the weight room the last two weeks. eligible to return to practice tomorrow. so we'll see how long it takes to get into shape and into the lineup.

also, OL help on the way. Tre Jackson also eligible to return to practice now so just a matter of time until that happens

reinforcements :pimp:

off topic but...

Martellus Bennett ‏@MartysaurusRex 43s43 seconds ago
Not really but I do like hockey jerseys. [emoji]128514[/emoji] and I think hockey players are phenomenal athletes

Marty knows :pimp:

sounds like Dion Lewis and Tre Jackson will NOT be practicing this week. fingers crossed for next week, i guess

Hightower is AFC Defensive player of the week. We need to pay that man. Most important player on that defense the past 3 years IMO.

Hightower is AFC Defensive player of the week. We need to pay that man. Most important player on that defense the past 3 years IMO.

i have very little doubt that they won't pay him. they'll take care of him. i would LOVE for them to also take care of Collins. but High is the priority for sure.

Last edited:
i have very little doubt that they won't pay him. they'll take care of him. i would LOVE for them to also take care of Collins. but High is the priority for sure.

I agree, I would like both resigned. I love Collins also but he is def. A little lower than hightower. Roberts is making the possibility of letting one go a little easier tho. He's played great the last 2 games.

Mike Reiss ‏@MikeReiss 20s21 seconds ago
On fines, LeGarrette Blount was for unnecessary roughness, Julian Edelman for a facemask and Rob Gronkowski for taunting. $9,115 each.

Hope Edelman has a breakout game. I've been holding on to him in Fantasy and my group chat has been talking **** about it every week. I'm the only Patriot fan so they stay trying to throw shade anyways. :x

:lol: definitely worth holding on to him

i do think his foot is bugging him. he doesn't seem as explosive and elusive as he normally does. was even hearing that he's "hopping" into his routes and jukes. not what you want to see.

what they should do is rest him till he's good. let ThugDola cook in his place for now. let Jules heal up for the stretch run.

Back
Top Bottom