The Official Nike Air Max 90 Thread

Weren't the shoes and boxes labeled Air Max III in the UK? I remember I read about it a long time ago way way before they started this recraft program. In America I think they were just called the new Air Max at the time because the culture wasn't live with the lore like that. I mean, back then people would just cop the shoe and wear the hell out of it(and actually run in them) for a few years before retiring and getting a more current Air Max of the year.
Interesting. Not sure what pairs were labeled as Air Max III but its clear the "It was never called Air Max III" guys are wrong.

Guys...finally received my pair and I’m disappointed to the Max (pun intended). The left toe box is way off 😩

D014D12B-86ED-43A6-82C2-9940A0E72F2F.jpeg

Why are people getting bent about this naming ****? In that case, you know what this shoe was definitely never called until a long time later? The AM90. As far as I'm concerned, calling them AMIII is a hell of a lot more true to the provenance and history of the shoe than a name that was attached to it with a round of retros 10 years after the OG model actually debuted. As has been said more than once, Jordans weren't labeled with numbers, either, until around the 12. And the TV ads never mentioned a number. They were always just "the new Jordans" to 90-something percent of people. I actually took to sometimes calling them by numbers in the early '90s, but only if I was talking to one of my friends about how, "I think the 3 was the best one so far," or some topic like that. I found it easier to do that than to say, "You know, the ones that were out three years ago in 1988 that had the elephant material on them?" Which come to think of it, I ended up having to say half the time anyway. Why? Because if I just said, "The Air Jordan III is my favorite so far," pretty much no one besides other mega Jordan nerds even knew what the hell I was talking about.

Last edited:
Weren't the shoes and boxes labeled Air Max III in the UK? I remember I read about it a long time ago way way before they started this recraft program. In America I think they were just called the new Air Max at the time because the culture wasn't live with the lore like that. I mean, back then people would just cop the shoe and wear the hell out of it(and actually run in them) for a few years before retiring and getting a more current Air Max of the year.
Have completely forgotten about seeing that AM-III box before. (I might actually have seen that pic here on AM90 thread). So, it’s possible either kids one or the ones sold in UK were called Air Max III back then.

But I don’t think that was the case in Japan tho. My father used to run marathon back then and he was actually the type of the guy whom buys the exact same model in multiple quantity if he found a pair which he really like. And i still remember the day I shouted to him “Yo, Dad, u bought another half dozen of Air Maxes?” while looking at the label on boxes he brought back home and he was like “No son, it’s not a half dozen, it’s just 5 (pairs), but it’s new Air Max!!”

Actually, he didn’t like that new Air Max that much and later said “I should’ve bought another half dozen of old Air Maxes while they were still around...” tho.

Touche LOL. It's one of the best retros in a LONG time. If Jordan did a retro like this, there would be dancing in the streets.

IF JB did the Fire Red IV justice, I currently wouldn't be on the fence about coppin. III's gettin some love but with the new shape not one OG colorway has dropped. I don't care about UNC, The Fire Red Denims, The Royal Pair, The all star Fire Red pair etc. They're all so wack.

Wow, that’s awesome. Would you mind doing some detailed comparison pics vs the 2020?
I would not mind at all,unfortunately I am still waiting for release here in europe so I have none to compare to. but as soon as they arrive I will make some comparison pictures and post them right away.
I did show the retro laser blues compared to the og's and also the eggplant retro vs the og on the air max 90 thread a while back ,
and I can tell you already they are very similar but not quite. nevertheless, in my opinion ,nike's best attempt to recreate an original so far . and very thankfull that they have .

Back
Top Bottom