The Official Nike LeBron 14 Thread. Retail $175

Most of his pe's have been trash except maybe the navy and gold pair. They need to just give us ID and a full acronym inspired pack.

2012 was definitely the height of Nike Basketball hype and it seems they might be trying to get back to that with legit quick strikes according to this

View media item 2319411
***Grabbed from PG thread

Red Asterisk next to product indicate Quick Strike?

Last edited:
Nike uses gold way too much

No such thing as to much gold... If anything... They don't use enough gold

austin-powers-in-goldmember-2002-movie-review-eats-skin-mike-myers.jpg

After thinking it over, the themes are kinda played out honestly. Maybe we have gotten a little greedy when it comes to them. DePaula also tweeted that Nike is rethinking about always releasing the same themes every year. I just want some dope colors that match the uniforms like the 2011 pack.

Last edited:
LeBron XIV "Out of Nowhere" Review

First Impression:  This is a much better looking shoe than I had originally thought. This model really jumps out in person.  Pictures usually make shoes look better, but I think the opposite might be true for this colorway, looks good in pictures, looks better in hand. Was impressed when I opened the box (which is gigantic!) and saw how good the materials look up close.  Don't look as "plastic" as the XIII's did, and don't look as thin as the upper on the KD9's. Threw them in the gym bag and put in about an hour and a half in these on court.  
Fit/Size:  The million dollar question with any new sig is, how do they fit?  Well these are very interesting...they are much roomier than past LeBron signatures (XI, XII, XIII) and are more true to size in length than the XII's and XIII's.  The length is a bit shorter than XII's and significantly shorter than XIII's.  I think we may finally be back to actual "True to size."  Wider feet guys should be happy with these, and narrow feet guys (like me) who really want a snug fit may need Elite socks to really accomplish that tight fit.  But overall, I really feel like true to size should cover most.  I typically wear a 9.5 in most LeBrons (AZG, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13), and these in a 9.5 are a very good fit.   

Lockdown/Lacing:  The good news is the lacing system is all above the shoe, no hidden lace passageways like the XIII.  The bad news is, the lacing system is all above the shoe, with no separate tongue.  I say this because if you have tried the KD9 or similar shoes where Nike utilizes flyknit loops all above the bootie, you know it's not the greatest for getting a great lockdown.  (I've been playing in the KD9 for the last couple months, so bare with me in all the comparisons)  Basically since this is a bootie constructed shoe, the laces aren't much help at all.  Basically the upper is providing you with all the fit, the laces are borderline worthless.  This brings me to the other not so great thing, the ankle entrance-way.  Getting in the shoe is a bear.  I would say even worse to get into than the KD9 because it's much higher at the ankle than the KD9.  But like the KD9, once you are in, it's worth the effort.  The heel has the same generous "U" shape padding as the Jordan XXX and KD9 to hold your heel and Achilles's firmly and comfortably in place, and actually has some structure in the heel.  The upper towards the front of the shoe is fairly light and thin, not much structure, but the material looks pretty solid.  Inside the bootie the shoe feels like felt, very soft and very comfortable on the top of your foot.  Only true disappointment is that the strap feels purely aesthetic.  The way it's positioned and the way it attaches in the inside arch, it does very little in the form of lockdown or security.  

[Pictured next to a same size (9.5) KD9 for comparison in height and collar support]

[Weight: 1 lb 0.1 oz]

Tech/Performance:  The easiest way to describe the "feel" of this shoe is a LeBron 13 low on steroids.  The Hex zoom pods FINALLY have impact, and can be felt immediately.  Most "bounce" of a LeBron shoe since the X.  The design made me think that these would be a very light LeBron, but when I put them on the scale (size (9.5) they were about 16 ounces (a pound).  I think the lightweight upper is offset by the work Nike put into the sole/midsole/outsole combination.  The hex pods feel and look much larger in the heel, and forefoot (2 of them), and the dissection video shows there is support layered in the midsole as well.  My guess is most of the weight can be found there.  Nike tinkered with the position of the pods and came up with what is a slimmer pattern cutting deep into the inside arch of each shoe.  This makes for a somewhat elevated and potentially unbalanced feel.  I'm a bit surprised LeBron liked this shape of the outsole.  Obviously, no more "flight plate" type divided outsole like the XIII had.  The XIV has a solid one piece designed outsole with a small dividing channel near pads of the forefoot. While the "pixelated" traction pattern of the outsole feels tacky and an improvement over the "bars" pattern of the XIII's outsole, this narrow outsole makes me think Bron being such a big guy wouldn't like the minimal portions of outsole meeting the floor.  It's cut almost like a track spike's outsole, meant for explosive movement like a sprinter, not a marathoner.  I'm happy with the traction improvements in the pattern, but worry that due to the shallow grooves, these could pick up dust quickly.  The slim profile also gives me concern.  While they were pretty stable in drills today, I wonder how they will feel in the paint in a game, and if the stability will become an issue for taller guys. I'm about 6'3" 190, so not huge, but tall enough and old enough that I don't want any ankle rolls or injuries at this point.  The spring by the new pods and midsole configuration do make for a nice comfortable ride, and I think the XIV's definitely have a bit more flexibility given the new outsole design.  

XIII

XIV 

Up close shot of "pixel" patterned outsole.  

Overall:  Pump up the soles and pods of the XIII's, ditch the "flight plate," add and stretch out the KD9 upper ankle portion and heel counter structure, add a purely aesthetic strap, move the pods a bit, shave the inner arch, and basically you got the LeBron 14.  I'm still a little surprised this is the shoe LBJ wanted, and seems so content playing in so far.  Simply because the shape and upper are such a drastic change from last year.  The XIV feels like a low when you are wearing it, even with the tall ankle collar.  I do enjoy the look of them, especially this colorway.  I'm happy with the improved fit in terms of length, the traction update, the new cushioning and the new zoom pods.  I'm concerned and need more time to see how the slim profile of the outsole works for me, if the stability of the elevation the pods gives is okay in high paced action, if I can maintain a good snug fit in back to back games, and how long the traction will hold out if the court is dusty at all.  It's an intriguing shoe for sure.  But it's also pretty clear why we got a lower retail price.  I think buyers will like the fit once the shoe is on, and these will feel great for someone buying just for casual wear as well.  If I had to grade them, I would give Nike a solid B on these.  Which is much better than the C- they had with the XIII's.

Like always, we are all different, so everyone could have different impressions, opinions, thought on sizing, and issues with the shoes. I don't claim to be any type of expert, and  I'm certainly not a professional basketball player or sneaker-tester, just a 30-something former college player who is getting old but still loves to play. I give my opinions simply to help those that can't always try things out before buying or have questions that can sometimes be answered before the shoe hits their area. I'm sure I forgot a bunch of stuff, so feel free to ask or shoot me a message. Always glad to help. And I will try to give an update every so often if I think it needs it.

RnNZfQn2o2xpggJQqefCOervMbPIci5mujDPJnvl43kv6Rtxjyh5gHN_JKVzeU-aaGz3pePFgxfoAAtZJZNx8mveVTc-11j98EfuAJVcumUenA=s0-d-e1-ft

Last edited:
I think the no ASG kicks coincides with the report that Nike is relaxing their releases or taking the year off in terms of releases while they wait for the influx of income from the NBA deal.

Getting in the shoe is a bear. I would say even worse to get into than the KD9 because it's much higher at the ankle than the KD9.

@dwoodactennis This is like the worst dream coming true for the LeBron 14 :frown:

Fit/Size:  The million dollar question with any new sig is, how do they fit?  Well these are very interesting...they are much roomier than past LeBron signatures (XI, XII, XIII) and are more true to size in length than the XII's and XIII's.  The length is a bit shorter than XII's and significantly shorter than XIII's.  I think we may finally be back to actual "True to size."  Wider feet guys should be happy with these, and narrow feet guys (like me) who really want a snug fit may need Elite socks to really accomplish that tight fit.  But overall, I really feel like true to size should cover most.  I typically wear a 9.5 in most LeBrons (AZG, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 12, 13), and these in a 9.5 are a very good fit.   

Repped for the solid review. Much appreciated.

Not too sure about your true to size comments though. The LBJ VIII and IX were notoriously shorter in length - you had to go up a 0.5 size at the very minimum vs. the rest of the LBJ line while certain colourways of the IX required a full size up. Also the IV was about 0.5 too big but it's quite far removed from the XIV so we can leave it out for comparison's sake.

The XII and XIII had sizing consistent with earlier LBJs vs. VIII & IX, but you contradict this in your post by saying that this shoe is shorter overall than the XII & XIII. So in essence it looks like this shoe might fit like the VIII & IX requiring that you go a 0.5 size up vs. your normal size?

Last edited:
The Out of Nowhere colorway is going for $825 on a size 12 on stockX and one sold for $600

Look, the shoe just dropped and the hype is quite high. I guarantee you around summer time, people will be posting about the 'steals' they got for MSRP or under.

Back
Top Bottom