The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Camera+ app + macro on the 14 pro, crazy detail
IMG_4020.jpeg

Did a bridal shower this weekend. Had no clue what I was doing :lol:. Brung some studio lights I didn't even use. Watched a YouTube video when I got there to see what kinda settings I needed to use. And then my memory card crapped out halfway into it lol. It was fun tho and I'm looking forward to more gigs :pimp:

I need to learn how to use artificial lights. Not sure if I'm ever gonna invest, but a gig I just started has em on deck if need be.

It’s a different kind of shooting. Like normal cases with natural light, you expose and crank ISO if needed. With flash, you do the opposite and under expose, drop ISO down and fill light with your flash. The photo itself looks different too and your client might like it or not like it. It’s good to know how to do both. My advise if any is to practice and do gigs like engagement shoots rather than full on weddings. Setting up poses to me is easier and if you are a rookie, charge less and use those first time experiences as a place of learning. When you get it, jack up your rates and create a strong portfolio and then look into doing weddings.

Check this video out. Obviously this guy is pro off camera flash photography. Also to note, lighting a single model is different then lighting a couple of even a group. A single strobe or flash might not do the trick and that is where you might need two or even three depending on the sun and what time of day you shoot. If you notice, Manny is shooting at sundown in the shade which is where flash can help. He exposes darker for flash and when he fires, you flash is the main source of light rather than the sun.

Currently shooting with a Sony A7C paired with the Sigma 24-70 2.8.

I find myself using the 35mm focal length the most.

If I were to purchase the Sony 35mm 1.4 are there any advantages that I will get by switching from the zoom lense?

Sorry this might be a noobie question but I heard that primes > zooms. While the Sigma is pretty sharp, will it be that much of an improvement?

Currently shooting with a Sony A7C paired with the Sigma 24-70 2.8.

I find myself using the 35mm focal length the most.

If I were to purchase the Sony 35mm 1.4 are there any advantages that I will get by switching from the zoom lense?

Sorry this might be a noobie question but I heard that primes > zooms. While the Sigma is pretty sharp, will it be that much of an improvement?
I'd like to believe there will be a noticeable improvement in sharpness. Probably around f4-8.

Just got a nikon IV ED for 260. I dont have much 35mm that needs to be developed yet so ill really be putting it to work when i get some rolls shot but i think itll be a good investment as far as cost saving. Always heard great things about cool scans.

Just got a nikon IV ED for 260. I dont have much 35mm that needs to be developed yet so ill really be putting it to work when i get some rolls shot but i think itll be a good investment as far as cost saving. Always heard great things about cool scans.

I have one as well that I’ve used for a while. I ended up getting the macro 60 and the attachment that allows you to take photos of the slide. I honestly find it way less time consuming than the coolscan. It’s another option if you find yourself having trouble with the scanner.

I have one as well that I’ve used for a while. I ended up getting the macro 60 and the attachment that allows you to take photos of the slide. I honestly find it way less time consuming than the coolscan. It’s another option if you find yourself having trouble with the scanner.
Scan quality the same when you compared them?

bxbadboy90 bxbadboy90 I have a sony A7 and I use a cheap 35mm 2.8 cheap rokinon about 99% of the time with it. It's tiny, not quite a pancake, but coupled with the A7's already small size, it's perfect for carrying around all day for street snaps. A fixed lens may also lead you to try shooting in different ways. Instead of standing still and zooming, you'll find yourself moving yourself closer to or further from the subject and finding different angles in between.

Here's a recent one, lined up the Manhattan Bridge from my friend's convertible on the BQE
52905118972_02d0775d97_k.jpg

Yeah having a prime lens makes you move to frame the subject the way you like. I definitely enjoy it more.
Fong$tarr Fong$tarr you've done a helicopter photo tour of SF/Golden Gate Bridge right? I've been wanting to do that.

Yeah having a prime lens makes you move to frame the subject the way you like. I definitely enjoy it more.
Fong$tarr Fong$tarr you've done a helicopter photo tour of SF/Golden Gate Bridge right? I've been wanting to do that.
Yup. I used to use FlyNYON when they were in the Bay but the pandemic forced them out. I used Specialized Aviation (https://www.instagram.com/specialized.aviation/?hl=en) after and they were fine but about the same price which was like $600-700 for hour flight around SF. Last time I went was the best cause I was my myself with the pilot. He got me at angles that I needed for the wide angle lens I had. If you were with other photographers, there is no real choice but to shoot with what the pilot flies you at.

Couple of tips if you end up doing it. Jack your ISO up high especially if you are shooting at sun down. I even shoot close to 6000 ISO when it gets super dark. Plus you need to shoot with a fast shutter and I tend to shoot at like f4.5 to try and get most of the pic in focus. Also I usually shoot with a 15-30mm zoom. This produce great photos, but the pilot does have to get in super close to a subject matter. If I had to do it over again, I would shoot with a 24-70mm lens. That way you have wide but can also get some compressed shots as well. There is something fascinating about getting long lens shots from a helicopter. It's essentially what drones still can't do which will make your photos unique from that. Other tip is get a huge memory card or shoot with two cameras at once. I have a 32GB card and I tend to use it up fast on these shoots on a 24MP sensor. There was once where I maxed out a card and had to delete photos while I was on the plane. which made me miss some shots.

Let me know if you have other questions as well.

Has anyone been using the generative fill function in photoshop? Pretty cool way to modify your photos; removing items and changing the background context of your subjects.

Kinda craving to get a cheap film camera
any recommendations?
something super portable would be nice

Try a rangefinder, something like the Canon QL17. Way more manual control than a P&S. I recently picked up a Konica Auto S2 for about $40 to take a break from my SLRs, and even though it's heavier than the Canon and some other rangefinders, it's not as heavy as the SLRs. Haven't developed the rolls I've shot yet but it's been fun to mess around with.

I’ve been on a frenzy as of late with film cameras. I got a Mamiya 7 with 80mm lens and Nikon L35AF point and shoot. Haven’t shot photos yet but hoping to this weekend. Will post when I can.

I’ve been on a frenzy as of late with film cameras. I got a Mamiya 7 with 80mm lens and Nikon L35AF point and shoot. Haven’t shot photos yet but hoping to this weekend. Will post when I can.
Do what this guy did, jump all the way in and get a plaubel makina 6x7

Or a rz67ii pro

Or a fuji gf670 :lol:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom