The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by baby dill

I'm about to photograph my entire collection to start off so we're talking roughly 200-250 shots that I would have to edit the white balance on. I don't mind doing a bit of editing on them, but I am trying to avoid any excessive editing...

I may just take them outside on the deck and in the sunlight and do it that way ... this stuff is going to take forever.
laugh.gif
Why would you have to PP the WB on all of them? There's nothing wrong with shooting Auto WB. Even better than that, set up a tri-pod and somelights (or a flash if you have one) and set the white balance in the camera.

Or you could make a lightbox. I've always wanted to make one, but I don't exactly have room for one right now.

Originally Posted by AirPhilippines

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

AirPhilippines wrote:

How do you check if there is dust on your sensor or lens. Something about a high F/stop and shooting at a white wall or so?
Yea pretty much. smallest aperture you can use pointed at a white wall, and slightly underexposed.

K thanks, is this sensor dust or lens dust?

that looks like sensor dust.
this is what i would do (not many people recommend it tho)

but... set our camera on bulb, hold down the shutter, take the lens off and take one of those dust sprays and spray it in there and then you're good to go.that's how i fixed mine.

^ Or just go into the menu and do a manual sensor clean. does the same thing..
grin.gif
laugh.gif

Made a new one. Just used a piece of reflective poster-board and available light like Rap said.

* Shot with a PowerShot A590IS

Santi I remember the 1st time I came up in this thread and saw you doing a mini video with a D90 and from there I was hook .. not why Im remembering that nowbut I am ..
smile.gif

NT

lets talk prices.

A lot of the times, I take pictures at parties for friends. and never charge because they're my friends.

but lately friends of friends have asked me to photograph their parties. These are birthday parties, baby showers, college parties..

nothing serious.. so how much should i charge them?

should i give them a X amount for an X amount of pictures? since its not like the usual photo shoots i do.

Canon 40D or Nikon D90?

I know the D90 is more expensive and therefore probably better but just want NT's opinion.

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

Canon 40D or Nikon D90?

I know the D90 is more expensive and therefore probably better but just want NT's opinion.
40D is faster, D90 shoots video.

Originally Posted by Whateversclever

NT

lets talk prices.

A lot of the times, I take pictures at parties for friends. and never charge because they're my friends.

but lately friends of friends have asked me to photograph their parties. These are birthday parties, baby showers, college parties..

should i give them a X amount for an X amount of pictures? since its not like the usual photo shoots i do.

So do you know them if they are friends of a friend? I think someone on here said they get charged like $100 for doing clubs. If this is something serious andthey want quality photos (or just clear ones), then I would say $60-$100 depending on how cool you are with the customer. But at that price, you better shoot agang load of photos cause I would think that is what they would expect.

And the 40D and D90 question, it depends on what kind of lenses you want to invest in. Look into that and then you have your answer.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by Whateversclever

NT

lets talk prices.

So do you know them if they are friends of a friend? I think someone on here said they get charged like $100 for doing clubs. If this is something serious and they want quality photos (or just clear ones), then I would say $60-$100 depending on how cool you are with the customer. But at that price, you better shoot a gang load of photos cause I would think that is what they would expect.

That is way too low for the amount of work that goes into shooting an event. Your price should include the time you worked during the event and after for postprocessing or any retouching. I say $100 and up depending on the event. Think about it, DJs get just about the same or more for playing music. Don't evershort change yourself.

^^^^Well....he said birthday parties, baby showers and college parties....so I based it on that and if they are good friends of him or not. I am a truebeliever of not short changing yourself when it comes to services but I doubt anyone would want to pay a $100 for baby shower photos or even college parties.Sometimes short changing yourself with the right position at least gets you some easy money.

I was using my af-s 35mm f/1.8 to shoot an event for the first time... it was indoors and not the brightest so i left it at f/1.8.... it messed up alot ofshots tho because the person who was focused on was clear but the person right next to them came out blurred

learning through mistakes.. the only way to do it

guess i should set the aperture to f/9 or so and just bumped up the iso and dealt with any graininess... if anyone can gimme any other tips they'd beappreciated... i want better results for next time

I think the "theme" or "assignment" idea is great, I would love to participate. It gets me out of the house and gives me a reason to gosnap some pics! Anyways, here are some Christmas themed photos from Italy. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm just starting out, need all that I canget.

mrzqlz.jpg

Christmas tree on the Spanish Steps, the Vatican in the background.

2ahwjt.jpg

I can never remember the name of this building. Anyways it's in Piazza Venezia.

r7na6x.jpg

random store

qswo5k.jpg

vespa capital of the world, has to be...

24vjepd.jpg

I really like this one here. Tried to get it from a unique angle.

2m9w2a.jpg

Piazza di Colesseo flooded with lights.

2e2lb9i.jpg

My girl and her friend in front of the Pantheon. Building is massive.

4rzvpw.jpg

Trying to teach my girl English.

5midyb.jpg

Has nothing to do with anything, just love the expression on her face
laugh.gif

^
Nice shots. When were you in Italy? I'm looking to go again next year, went to a place called Sorrento last year and it was really nice.

I am in a total photo funk. Some crap long exposure shots but I PS'd them to make them somewhat interesting.

4-days-left-3.jpg

4-days-left-4.jpg

4-days-left-5.jpg

Originally Posted by Illuztrious

I think the "theme" or "assignment" idea is great, I would love to participate. It gets me out of the house and gives me a reason to go snap some pics! Anyways, here are some Christmas themed photos from Italy. Any advice is greatly appreciated, I'm just starting out, need all that I can get.

mrzqlz.jpg

Christmas tree on the Spanish Steps, the Vatican in the background.

2ahwjt.jpg

I can never remember the name of this building. Anyways it's in Piazza Venezia.

r7na6x.jpg

random store

qswo5k.jpg

vespa capital of the world, has to be...

24vjepd.jpg

I really like this one here. Tried to get it from a unique angle.

2m9w2a.jpg

Piazza di Colesseo flooded with lights.

2e2lb9i.jpg

My girl and her friend in front of the Pantheon. Building is massive.

4rzvpw.jpg

Trying to teach my girl English.

5midyb.jpg

Has nothing to do with anything, just love the expression on her face
laugh.gif

Maybe its just me but I don't think those night pictures needed to be shot at 1600.

Yeah I didn't have a tripod. If I shot them at a lower ISO, would the night pics look better? But doesn't it also make the camera super sensitive?

Originally Posted by thekryptonite

^
Nice shots. When were you in Italy? I'm looking to go again next year, went to a place called Sorrento last year and it was really nice.

Thanks. I live out here. Sorrento is awesome, I was down there (well In Amalfi/Maiori) every weekend last summer.

Back
Top Bottom