The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Santi...nice pics man...

can i get quick tutorial on how to build a light box? or if you can post pics of yours? thanks...

Originally Posted by Kickmatic23

I was using my af-s 35mm f/1.8 to shoot an event for the first time... it was indoors and not the brightest so i left it at f/1.8.... it messed up alot of shots tho because the person who was focused on was clear but the person right next to them came out blurred

learning through mistakes.. the only way to do it

guess i should set the aperture to f/9 or so and just bumped up the iso and dealt with any graininess... if anyone can gimme any other tips they'd be appreciated... i want better results for next time
speedlite
pimp.gif
definitely makes things a lot better imo.

Anyone ever deal with Adorama?

I'm gonna buy a lens on Ebay from Adorama, but I'm wondering how long it takes to ship.

I live in Daly City (SF), CA...

nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif
nerd.gif

Thinking about buying this camera from Best Buy tomorrow...something to get the job done before I get my SLR in February..It has good reviews from CNET, BestBuy, and Amazon. Can anyone on NT give me some advice before buying...

Camera

Thanks.

Originally Posted by lauk4kicks

I was using my af-s 35mm f/1.8 to shoot an event for the first time... it was indoors and not the brightest so i left it at f/1.8.... it messed up alot of shots tho because the person who was focused on was clear but the person right next to them came out blurred

guess i should set the aperture to f/9 or so and just bumped up the iso and dealt with any graininess... if anyone can gimme any other tips they'd be appreciated... i want better results for next time
speedlite
pimp.gif
Speedlight isn't an option at the moment.. no funds..
eyes.gif

Did I hit the nail on the head tho or is there anything else I can do to not have the same prob next time?

Originally Posted by KL9

I've gotten 3 lenses from there.. no problems.. highly recommended

Originally Posted by KL9

I've gotten 3 lenses from there.. no problems.. highly recommended
Where do you live and how long did it take for them to ship/item to arrive?

DOES ANYBODY USE SONY/MINOLTA slr's here ?

I have soooo much damn equipment I can get rid of for cheap! CHEEEAAAPP.\\

Oh and I got a DSLR for sale. Sony a100 with extra battery/charger/usb/manuals + 18-70mm lens + bag for $400. Barely used

Originally Posted by lauk4kicks

speedlite
pimp.gif
Speedlight isn't an option at the moment.. no funds..
eyes.gif

Did I hit the nail on the head tho or is there anything else I can do to not have the same prob next time?
if you have a camera place near you that rents equipment, a flash is usually around $10-20 for a one day or weekend rental.

if you're stuck shooting available light, you can shoot a wider angle lens (something like a 18-whatever zoom). wider focal lengths have more depth offield for similar apertures as longer focal lengths.

also, you can get good results with iso 800 is you don't underexpose. you're better off shooting raw and overexposing very slightly and then bringingdown the exposure a little when you process the raw files. the same goes for iso 1600. if people are posing or not moving around, you can get away withfairly slow shutter speeds, somewhere in the 1/30 to 1/60 sec range if that will help you keep the iso down a bit.

ive had the 780is for a while and my brother jus got it last week. we both think it's great, esp cause of the HD video feature. youtube some test shots ifyou want to see the quality.

btw, i have the d40 w/ the 18-55mm kit lens. i was thinking of getting a 35mm f1.8 for christmas. anyone know if this is a good lens?

Adorama is one of the biggest Camera places in NYC along with B&H - both are highly recommended and widely use by locals, none locals and foreigners alike....

As far as shipping, I'm guessing whatever it states on the website is going to be a good estimate ... expect delays now because of the snow storm and allthe holiday shopping that has been going around ..

Originally Posted by tripholla

ive had the 780is for a while and my brother jus got it last week. we both think it's great, esp cause of the HD video feature. youtube some test shots if you want to see the quality.

btw, i have the d40 w/ the 18-55mm kit lens. i was thinking of getting a 35mm f1.8 for christmas. anyone know if this is a good lens?

yes, when I had my d60, the 1.8 was almost always on

Haven't been in the photo thread in a while, glad to see another one is still going strong. Here are a couple pics I snapped while I was in Cuba lastweek:

4197934758_9ae0835f7c_b.jpg

4197932358_12d0f902a4_b.jpg

4197178383_d6314b1e91_b.jpg

A local boy jumping into some tourists' photo....for money.

4197178061_c102e60367_b.jpg

4197927776_02ef9c4039_b.jpg

4197166201_250f157de0_b.jpg

4189104178_5df2eace3e_o.jpg

Any of you guys use a handstrap? I'm about to throw my neck strap out the window. I hate it. I want to use the Canon E1 hand strap, but it needs to be usedwith a battery grip on Rebels... or I can get this adapter from B&H that screws into the tripod hole and lets me use the strap. Do you guys use Grips? arethey really worth the money?

Here's the exact setup I'm talking about.

4059357603_f721681dc4.jpg

Grip: $120 used
Strap: $20

or this..
http://www.bhphotovideo.c...mp;sku=547884&is=REG

I was thinking about getting a handstrap but I always carry my camera around wherever I go and I would think always having it in my hand rather then just overmy shoulder would be a pain in the butt. I guess it depends on how and what you shoot. If you are constantly doing studio stuff or gigs where you always haveyour camera bag around, then I would get the handstrap.

I used to have the E-1 hand strap on all my bodies since I used to have the grip on all the time. Now I just rock the Canon L6 neckstrap which just looks BA.

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

I used to have the E-1 hand strap on all my bodies since I used to have the grip on all the time. Now I just rock the Canon L6 neckstrap which just looks BA.
You have any pics of the L6 strap? I looked it up but it just looks like my T1i strap.

I think the L6 strap is just the updated Canon strap. The T1i must have been packaged with that since it is pretty new. It just seems a little wider then theones that used to be on the old Rebels.

I still want this one....

Originally Posted by SaNTi0321

Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

You have any pics of the L6 strap? I looked it up but it just looks like my T1i strap.
It's the strap that comes with 1D3 and 1Ds3 bodies. If you want something comfy for when you have the cam around your neck all day, check outthe Crumpler industry disgrace.

canon%20l6.jpg

For the Adorama question: I love Adorama. Shipping is snappy fast. If you want it by Christmas, though, you might be a little late. I got my18-55 lens in about 3 days, but it's the holiday season and they're super busy. B&H, Adorama, and Cameta are all great with quick shipping.

For the 35mm f/1.8G question: Yes. Do it. It should be roughly 50mm f/1.8 on a cropped body. Go for it. Now. AF + narrow DOF for under $300 iswhat's up.

Kickmatic: You can get a cheap flash from Besty Buy (Sunpak?) for about 45 bucks and it should shoot TTL okay and have a swivel head andbounce. That's really your only option unless you wanna drop a couple grand on a 50mm f/1.0...That was a joke. Also, you probably don't need to hitf/9, but if you could do f/3-f/4 then that'd probably give a wide enough DOF for 2-3 people in the shot. ISO400 might be too low, unfortunately even atf/3-f/4. But ISO800 should be okay in RAW. Just ETTR (expose to the right) in RAW and you should be able to figure it out in PP.

Santi: I love having a grip. I have one on my D40x and the shutter release only works if I turn on the IR, but for my hands it's awesome.It really gives the camera a full body feel and I find the extra weight (for stability) and battery life beneficial. I would love a hand strap, but I could seechanging lenses being a huge pain. I'll probably be grabbing the POTN strap from their store. Everyone says it's awesome and it looks comfortable. Youcould also check out R-Straps. I don't have a link, but they use a d-link that freewheels at the bottom so your strap doesn't tangle up. It'spretty snazzy. The Crumpler Industry Disgrace looks solid and comfortable, but it looks a little bulky for me, personally.

Edit:
Originally Posted by thekryptonite

Canon 40D or Nikon D90?

I know the D90 is more expensive and therefore probably better but just want NT's opinion.
If it's in your budget, check out the Canon 7D. What do you shoot?

Back
Top Bottom