The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Originally Posted by blueLAMBORGHINI

C&C?

4207431514_6249d29ca0_o.png

I am at work but the white balance seems a tad off. I think either a tad yellow or red...not sure though. Also the lighting seems to be ok in the backgroundbut the foreground (which is probably the most important cause you are light the subject) is either too dim or not bright enough. I've never done light boxstuff myself but I guess the idea is to light the subject enough to almost eliminate all shadows, which displays the product and its detail better

Not like you need an example cause we all know what it looks like but HUF does a decent job at taking pics of there merchandise.

nike_ajf13_blkrd.jpg

Originally Posted by dstylezs

Kicks R Me: Amazing photos bro.. Howd you like Cuba?

Thanks man. Cuba was awesome...it's amazing to visit a place with almost 0% American influence (and tourists for that matter). No fast food chains orwell known brands, no billboard advertising...kinda surreal.

Originally Posted by verynecessary

if you have a camera place near you that rents equipment, a flash is usually around $10-20 for a one day or weekend rental.

if you're stuck shooting available light, you can shoot a wider angle lens (something like a 18-whatever zoom). wider focal lengths have more depth of field for similar apertures as longer focal lengths.

also, you can get good results with iso 800 is you don't underexpose. you're better off shooting raw and overexposing very slightly and then bringing down the exposure a little when you process the raw files. the same goes for iso 1600. if people are posing or not moving around, you can get away with fairly slow shutter speeds, somewhere in the 1/30 to 1/60 sec range if that will help you keep the iso down a bit.

Thanks for the advice.. i have the 18-105 but with a f/3.5- 5.6 I knew it wouldn't cut it. It wasn't a real event.. it was something for work thatneeded photos taken of.. so me having a dslr, i stepped up and gave it a try..

Originally Posted by NikeAirsNCrispyTees

Kickmatic: You can get a cheap flash from Besty Buy (Sunpak?) for about 45 bucks and it should shoot TTL okay and have a swivel head and bounce. That's really your only option unless you wanna drop a couple grand on a 50mm f/1.0...That was a joke. Also, you probably don't need to hit f/9, but if you could do f/3-f/4 then that'd probably give a wide enough DOF for 2-3 people in the shot. ISO400 might be too low, unfortunately even at f/3-f/4. But ISO800 should be okay in RAW. Just ETTR (expose to the right) in RAW and you should be able to figure it out in PP.
I'll look into the cheap flash... and thanks for the advice.. instead of a flash, in the meantime I might get Gary Fong Puffer.. I think my girl may have gotten it for me for the holidays because I was telling herabout it.. we shall see Friday

Originally Posted by 916shoehead

Also, i ordered off of cametacamera 2 days ago and it still hasnt shipped
i know he is very reputable, but has this happened to any of you?
Normally i'd buy from adorama or B&H and they ship it out next day.
I bought from Cameta's ebay store and it came relatively quick... I am in NY and so are they.. you didn't get an e-mail with when they aregoing to ship?.. its usually within 1-3 buisness days I THINK

And now to the pics... some recent stuff from this past weekend.. C&C please
4205686694_c39f31cfbd.jpg

4204930247_5d4f11475d.jpg

4205688502_952723f2aa.jpg

4205687000_d4b5467897.jpg

Originally Posted by KL9

Originally Posted by 916shoehead

Originally Posted by KL9

Just pulled the trigger on the 17-55.

So when it's time to clean the lens from the dust it acquires, where can I do that at (where-dey-do-dat-at)?
buy a UV filter and stick it onto the lens when you get it. then you'll never need to clean it. it prevents getting the lens dirty and reduces flare (if some flare does occur)
edit:already answered, didnt notice...=/
Originally Posted by Rap Sizzle

^ Congrats. It's a wonderful lens that I enjoyed with my 40D (both of which have now been passed on to my sis). Pick up a B+W 77mm 010 MRC UV filter and you won't have to worry about that dust problem. Be sure to get the MRC version and not the cheaper version.
Appreciate it guys.

Now, the thing is, I'll be either picking up the filter either when I'm in Hong Kong OR on Ebay (Maybe Ritz if I have time).

I leave on the 29th and not too sure when it'll arive. I have a 77mm filter right now, but not sure how good it is,
laugh.gif
Bro, you do go to Davis don't you? There are a couple of shops in Sacramento I could lead you to.

Originally Posted by Mr Fongstarr

Originally Posted by blueLAMBORGHINI

C&C?

I am at work but the white balance seems a tad off. I think either a tad yellow or red...not sure though. Also the lighting seems to be ok in the background but the foreground (which is probably the most important cause you are light the subject) is either too dim or not bright enough. I've never done light box stuff myself but I guess the idea is to light the subject enough to almost eliminate all shadows, which displays the product and its detail better

Not like you need an example cause we all know what it looks like but HUF does a decent job at taking pics of there merchandise.
Most likely. I didn't use any lamps ...
laugh.gif
Just wanted to see how it would come out.

So what do you think I should do about the White Balance? I had the setting on Fluorescent Light ...
embarassed.gif

Originally Posted by LiveMyReality

Originally Posted by KL9
Bro, you do go to Davis don't you? There are a couple of shops in Sacramento I could lead you to.
Nah, I'm one of the few Warriors fan that don't attend Davis. SFSU
tired.gif
tongue.gif

Quick question.....anyone got tips on shooting like family portrait stuff indoors without flash?

I actually got nominated to shoot photos with santa clause at my work. I figure to use my 35mm 1.8 lens to get the job. The problem I might be facing is that Iheard to shoot at a smaller aperture when shooting portraits so everyone is in focus...but since this is indoors, I kind of need to set it so it shoots quick.Someone said shoot at like f/8-11 but I know for a fact that it will be too slow. So what do I do.....shoot at a large aperture like f/4 or smaller at thesuggested f?8 and jack up my iso to compensate? I l already have people expecting things from me and shooting portraits for me is the worse.

Quick question.....anyone got tips on shooting like family portrait stuff indoors without flash?

I actually got nominated to shoot photos with santa clause at my work. I figure to use my 35mm 1.8 lens to get the job. The problem I might be facing is that I heard to shoot at a smaller aperture when shooting portraits so everyone is in focus...but since this is indoors, I kind of need to set it so it shoots quick. Someone said shoot at like f/8-11 but I know for a fact that it will be too slow. So what do I do.....shoot at a large aperture like f/4 or smaller at the suggested f?8 and jack up my iso to compensate? I l already have people expecting things from me and shooting portraits for me is the worse.
You're gonna need the 1.8 to shoot indoors. I'm in the same situation for Christmas eve... I think I'm gonna mess with the built-inflash and make it work.

I got my lens already!

Overnight shipping was only $20 more, it was worth it. Now should I put on my cheap filter first and try out the new lens?
nerd.gif

Can't wait/Don't want to wait to get a new one...

I actually got nominated to shoot photos with santa clause at my work. I figure to use my 35mm 1.8 lens to get the job. The problem I might be facing is that I heard to shoot at a smaller aperture when shooting portraits so everyone is in focus...but since this is indoors, I kind of need to set it so it shoots quick. Someone said shoot at like f/8-11 but I know for a fact that it will be too slow. So what do I do.....shoot at a large aperture like f/4 or smaller at the suggested f?8 and jack up my iso to compensate? I l already have people expecting things from me and shooting portraits for me is the worse.
why no flash though? i thought u had one

^^^^I do have the built in but I hate shooting with it. IMO, flash photos just don't look natural and I feel like I can use a point and shoot to takephotos like that. If I had a speedlight, then that would be different but the built in flash is such a piece of junk.

But I am at the point where I don't care. They aren't paying me....but I just wanted to see if there was anything I can do to just better myself as aphotographer. Oh well....best thing about digital is I am just going to shoot a photo until it comes out right. Probably like 3-5 photos per family just tomake sure I have a decent one.

Originally Posted by youngwill500

19360_1072828078127_1748913529_135393_5112645_n.jpg
19360_1072828118128_1748913529_135394_4897611_n.jpg

Explosion from far...

i think if you convert the first one to B&W add some contrast maybe even a gradient to it, it would be siiiickkkkkk....the second one doesnt work, i meanthe rule of thirds helps it, but that chain in the middle of the frame is wayyy too much of a distraction, its also over exposed, but in B&W the overexposure will actually work in your favor imo.

Back
Top Bottom