Untitled by james bringas, on Flickr

ive been adding lots of grain on my photos lately.. not sure if thats good
nerd.gif
Embrace the grain bro...A little bit a grain can be a nice touch.

People Watching:

Fellas! I did it!

I must say, I'm pretty proud of myself right now. The photos came out great. I shot in raw and manual the entire time and I surprised myself. What I found most challenging was posing and positioning people. I found myself following parents and everyone else's leads, which is easy, but I would like to have more direction over that part to feel more complete. Trust me, the wedding party had a lot of personality and presence which made this look WAY easier than it could have been.

So a family has commissioned me to shoot their daughters wedding this Saturday on the 11th, and I have no clue what I'm doing as far as shooting weddings. They know that I've never shot a wedding before, but they've seen some of my previous work I've done with coworkers and they like my stuff.

Any tips as far as shooting weddings? I know I need to get a tripod, and I've been thinking about buying a 50mm lens, but what else as far as mandatory shots, lighting, using flash indoors, etc? Any good website/articles I can read up on?

Thanks bros!

edit:
Oh, and how much do people usually charge for this? I'll be shooting and doing the editing. Since I don't have experience, I always lowball my self, but I always feel like I should demand more. Pricing schemes?

First wedding and never shot one before, be upfront with them and encourage them to find an experience photographer if these shots are critical to them, if they are still game you are clear to go without anything to lose, don't charge either, I know time is money but this being your first wedding even if you have a great eye and technically good with a camera, you will stumble, we all do....just do it as a favor.

Get yourself a back up camera, you don't need anything else other than a flash, your camera some lenses, memory cards and extra battery...don't get caught up in all the gimmicks of off camera lighting, softboxes, extra flashes on stands for a silly flare danceshots....keep it simple and focus on the important moments....get a timeline of the day from the bride, where she wants you to start all the way to the end....if possible scout locations to be familiar with your sorroundings prior to shooting...snap snap snap...be aware of everything and good luck bro...weddings are very draining, you'll have over 1k shots to edit, the most annoying part is sorting out the garbage shots from the keepers in post editing, specially on your first weddings....check out other photographers for inspiration, here is my inspiration/fave photographer/friend/mentor dude is gifted.

www.nylagray.com

Thanks for the advice Steezy. Whenever people ask me to shoot for them, the first thing I tell them is how experienced I am. I never boast or pump myself up so I don't have anything to live up to. When she asked me how much I charge, I told her $100 (which I think is dirt cheap for shooting a wedding) because again, I couldn't promise outstanding results, but she ended up giving me $200, which was nice of her.

I came armed with a Nikon D90, 18-105 kit lens, SB600 external flash with a diffuser, 1 16gb Extreme SD, 1 2GB Ultra 2 SD (didn't have to use), an extra set of batteries for the flash, tripod, battery chargers, and my bag.

I kept the bag on me all day and it never really got in the way, so when I needed to switch batteries or anything, it was handy which was good. I could have benefited from a larger zoom lens for shooting in the chapel, but it wasn't a huge church so it worked out. I've heard about renting though? Maybe I'll look into it for future events. Didn't have a backup camera, but it could have come in handy if I would have had two lenses.

So a family has commissioned me to shoot their daughters wedding this Saturday on the 11th, and I have no clue what I'm doing as far as shooting weddings. They know that I've never shot a wedding before, but they've seen some of my previous work I've done with coworkers and they like my stuff.

Any tips as far as shooting weddings? I know I need to get a tripod, and I've been thinking about buying a 50mm lens, but what else as far as mandatory shots, lighting, using flash indoors, etc? Any good website/articles I can read up on?

Thanks bros!

edit:
Oh, and how much do people usually charge for this? I'll be shooting and doing the editing. Since I don't have experience, I always lowball my self, but I always feel like I should demand more. Pricing schemes?
I shoot weddings from time to time and they can be tough if you go solo. First, I wouldn't charge if you know you don't have the experience.

I have a 50D and 580EXII with a Gary Fong diffuser, I use a friends 40D as my backup. KSteezy's blog is great for inspiration. I often wonder how he brings the personality out of his subjects. Biggest lessons I have learned is to take as many pictures as possible, when in doubt change your batteries in your flash, and always discuss the expectations with your bride and groom. I will never forget my first wedding.

By the way Seeko, this is Jason from ATL NT. Hit me up bro.

Yo Jason! What's good man? We had a good conversation that time at the summit man. How's everything going for you photography wise and in general? I took your advice in bringing extra batteries for the flash. It's possible I could have overlooked this if you hadn't said it! lol...

Man, it was a lot of fun. I'm extremely gracious for you and Steezy dropping advice so detailed and quick. Made a HUGE difference in my confidence, preparedness and know-how. I really appreciate the help. So... Proof is in the pudding. Take a look...

Here are some of the photos. All constructive input is appreciated.

Sorry for all the photos. :lol:

Last edited:
Ok, so I'm looking at kits for the following:

Nikon D3200
Canon T1i

what are good prices for them? Used and New; I'm using ebay... would you suggest craigslist too? I'm fine with it being used honestly, as long as it's in working order. I also don't mind minor scratches etc.

I'm looking at a kit for the Nikon D3200 that's 400 shipped.

Fellas! I did it!

I must say, I'm pretty proud of myself right now. The photos came out great. I shot in raw and manual the entire time and I surprised myself. What I found most challenging was posing and positioning people. I found myself following parents and everyone else's leads, which is easy, but I would like to have more direction over that part to feel more complete. Trust me, the wedding party had a lot of personality and presence which made this look WAY easier than it could have been.
Thanks for the advice Steezy. Whenever people ask me to shoot for them, the first thing I tell them is how experienced I am. I never boast or pump myself up so I don't have anything to live up to. When she asked me how much I charge, I told her $100 (which I think is dirt cheap for shooting a wedding) because again, I couldn't promise outstanding results, but she ended up giving me $200, which was nice of her.

I came armed with a Nikon D90, 18-105 kit lens, SB600 external flash with a diffuser, 1 16gb Extreme SD, 1 2GB Ultra 2 SD (didn't have to use), an extra set of batteries for the flash, tripod, battery chargers, and my bag.

I kept the bag on me all day and it never really got in the way, so when I needed to switch batteries or anything, it was handy which was good. I could have benefited from a larger zoom lens for shooting in the chapel, but it wasn't a huge church so it worked out. I've heard about renting though? Maybe I'll look into it for future events. Didn't have a backup camera, but it could have come in handy if I would have had two lenses.
Yo Jason! What's good man? We had a good conversation that time at the summit man. How's everything going for you photography wise and in general? I took your advice in bringing extra batteries for the flash. It's possible I could have overlooked this if you hadn't said it! lol...

Man, it was a lot of fun. I'm extremely gracious for you and Steezy dropping advice so detailed and quick. Made a HUGE difference in my confidence, preparedness and know-how. I really appreciate the help. So... Proof is in the pudding. Take a look...

Sorry for all the photos.
laugh.gif
You shot in RAW, which is great because a lot of these need to have the White Balance tweaked.

These all look like they were taken with a point and shoot set on Auto imo.

You need to have more control with your flash.

I see a lot of real bad compositions...

...cutting off of limbs on shots that were set up. I'm fine with cutting off of limbs but only in certain type of shots.

I have never shot a wedding, but I understand that the venue plays a big part as to how good you can make certain shots look.

I'm going to take pictures at my bro's friend's wedding. Nothing official, they have a paid photographer, I just want to see what I can come up with.

I only have a 5D Mark 2 with a 50mm 1.8 and 28mm 2.8

We'll see how that goes...
nerd.gif

^^ Yeah, the white balance is an issue, but the composition on a lot of those examples aren't TERRIBLE :lol:

And what do you mean by having more control over my flash? I mean.. I know what you mean, but can you point out examples and how you would have done it different?

Looking for constructive input. Thanks bro.

Fellas! I did it!

In this image I would've zoomed out a little more or stepped back to so the dress/legs of the bridesmaids wouldn't have gotten cut off.

White balance on this one needs to be corrected. Try increasing the exposure a little bit?

Again white balance but in this pic it's hard to focus on the couple getting married because of the other people in the picture. They're distractions but I get that it's hard to get a shot when they're up there without having other people in the picture.

I would have shot this one from a different angle. Maybe have the camera near the ground pointing upwards?

See the bluriness in this pic? (Is bluriness even a word? lol)

This shot is a little off center. Should have moved more to the right so the couple could be in the middle.

As far as these cake photo's go I honestly don't like them. (No pun intended) The limbs of the bride and whoever else is there are cut off and I get that the focus is supposed to be the cake but in the second picture the hands are again distracting. I don't know whether you were trying to make the cake the focus or the person who was cutting it. I would've taken pics of the cake before they were being cut then once they were being cut taken pics of the people with them.

Where's the dudes hand? lol Again the 2 women are distracting so it's hard to see who is the focus of the picture.

This pic is cool just needs some editing done to it. Play around with it in lightroom.

I am by no means a professional photographer and have never shot a wedding before but these are the things I see that could be improved upon. I have a friend who did a wedding shoot once and just taking what I learned from him and applying it here. Don't take anything I have said as an offense I'm just trying to help you with what I see and what I would have done differently. This experience will help you become a better photographer. Hope this helps and I know people are going to be pissed at me for quoting all the pics but sorry haha just trying to share my thoughts.

Fellas! I did it!

Besides the angles and limbs being cut off as other people suggested, I would have bumped my ISO up if I were you. The on camera flash (or external flash on the camera) makes these look like club pictures. You should have just bumped your ISO up, turned the power on your flash down, and dealt with the little extra noise. A noisy picture is better than a blurry or useless picture. Bumping the ISO up would have made the exposure more consistant. I know this is not your fault but it looks like the way the couple and the officient were positioned during the ceremony was very unusual. The groom was standing next to a wall? If flash is allowed durring the ceremony I would have had 2 flashes on tripods on each of the outside isles pointing in toward the bride and groom. Flash photography can be difficult when the flash is on the camera and your constantly moving.

^^ Yeah, the white balance is an issue, but the composition on a lot of those examples aren't TERRIBLE
laugh.gif

And what do you mean by having more control over my flash? I mean.. I know what you mean, but can you point out examples and how you would have done it different?

Terrible no... bad, yes.

I have no experience with a flash... currently looking to buy one.

As far as the flash, you need to work with the light already there and use your flash to simply provide that pop on your subject.

Your flash created some harsh shadows and washed everything out.

Like I said, these pics look like they were shot with a P&S on Auto.

I also mentioned that the venue plays a big role as far as being able to get some good pictures... I'm sure Ksteez can talk about this.

Shot some jiu jitsu event and realized I just suck and shooting action stuff. Rented a 24-70mm L lens too (should have gotten the 85mm) and it was horrible to use. I actually thought it would have performed better but I guess there wasn't enough light.

jiu-jitsu-1.jpg
jiu-jitsu-4.jpg
jiu-jitsu-2.jpg
jiu-jitsu-3.jpg
jiu-jitsu-5.jpg

Fellas! I did it!

Thanks bros!

edit:

First wedding and never shot one before, be upfront with them and encourage them to find an experience photographer if these shots are critical to them, if they are still game you are clear to go without anything to lose, don't charge either, I know time is money but this being your first wedding even if you have a great eye and technically good with a camera, you will stumble, we all do....just do it as a favor.

Get yourself a back up camera, you don't need anything else other than a flash, your camera some lenses, memory cards and extra battery...don't get caught up in all the gimmicks of off camera lighting, softboxes, extra flashes on stands for a silly flare danceshots....keep it simple and focus on the important moments....get a timeline of the day from the bride, where she wants you to start all the way to the end....if possible scout locations to be familiar with your sorroundings prior to shooting...snap snap snap...be aware of everything and good luck bro...weddings are very draining, you'll have over 1k shots to edit, the most annoying part is sorting out the garbage shots from the keepers in post editing, specially on your first weddings....check out other photographers for inspiration, here is my inspiration/fave photographer/friend/mentor dude is gifted.

www.nylagray.com

Thanks bros!

edit:
I shoot weddings from time to time and they can be tough if you go solo. First, I wouldn't charge if you know you don't have the experience.

I have a 50D and 580EXII with a Gary Fong diffuser, I use a friends 40D as my backup. KSteezy's blog is great for inspiration. I often wonder how he brings the personality out of his subjects. Biggest lessons I have learned is to take as many pictures as possible, when in doubt change your batteries in your flash, and always discuss the expectations with your bride and groom. I will never forget my first wedding.

By the way Seeko, this is Jason from ATL NT. Hit me up bro.

Things are going great man. I have slowed down on wedding in order to work on a new website and project. Looking to add to my skill set.

^^ Yeah, the white balance is an issue, but the composition on a lot of those examples aren't TERRIBLE :lol:

Terrible no... bad, yes.

I have no experience with a flash... currently looking to buy one.

As far as the flash, you need to work with the light already there and use your flash to simply provide that pop on your subject.

Your flash created some harsh shadows and washed everything out.

Like I said, these pics look like they were shot with a P&S on Auto.

I also mentioned that the venue plays a big role as far as being able to get some good pictures... I'm sure Ksteez can talk about this.
I agree that you need more control over your flash. It seems as if you leaned on the flash lighting rather than the natural lighting of the wedding venue. You should have been able to shoot the first set of pictures without the flash. Continue to shoot in RAW as you would have been able to edit the pictures easier in Lightroom.

Nikon D3200
Canon T1i

what are good prices for them? Used and New; I'm using ebay... would you suggest craigslist too? I'm fine with it being used honestly, as long as it's in working order. I also don't mind minor scratches etc.

PM'ed you

Nikon D3200
Canon T1i

I just copped a D5100 off ebay. It was brand new came with two lenses, three batteries, two chargers, dvd and a bag. I paid 665. I added a 2 year accidental warranty for 75. It would have cost me close to 900 for all this anywhere else.

Just took this tonight straight out of the camera. Need to mess with it in lightroom to get the lighting right but my first panorama shot with my DSLR. Came out pretty good might I say. Might have to click on the image to see the details.

^ Looks good. I would have probably centered the path in the frame, unless you couldn't move anymore right. Dope shot, though!

Back
Top Bottom