The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

So a family has commissioned me to shoot their daughters wedding this Saturday on the 11th, and I have no clue what I'm doing as far as shooting weddings. They know that I've never shot a wedding before, but they've seen some of my previous work I've done with coworkers and they like my stuff.

Any tips as far as shooting weddings? I know I need to get a tripod, and I've been thinking about buying a 50mm lens, but what else as far as mandatory shots, lighting, using flash indoors, etc? Any good website/articles I can read up on?

Thanks bros!

edit:
Oh, and how much do people usually charge for this? I'll be shooting and doing the editing. Since I don't have experience, I always lowball my self, but I always feel like I should demand more. Pricing schemes?

Last edited:
So a family has commissioned me to shoot their daughters wedding this Saturday on the 11th, and I have no clue what I'm doing as far as shooting weddings. They know that I've never shot a wedding before, but they've seen some of my previous work I've done with coworkers and they like my stuff.

Any tips as far as shooting weddings? I know I need to get a tripod, and I've been thinking about buying a 50mm lens, but what else as far as mandatory shots, lighting, using flash indoors, etc? Any good website/articles I can read up on?

Thanks bros!

edit:
Oh, and how much do people usually charge for this? I'll be shooting and doing the editing. Since I don't have experience, I always lowball my self, but I always feel like I should demand more. Pricing schemes?
I shoot weddings from time to time and they can be tough if you go solo. First, I wouldn't charge if you know you don't have the experience.

I have a 50D and 580EXII with a Gary Fong diffuser, I use a friends 40D as my backup. KSteezy's blog is great for inspiration. I often wonder how he brings the personality out of his subjects. Biggest lessons I have learned is to take as many pictures as possible, when in doubt change your batteries in your flash, and always discuss the expectations with your bride and groom. I will never forget my first wedding.

By the way Seeko, this is Jason from ATL NT. Hit me up bro.

Thanks bros!

edit:

First wedding and never shot one before, be upfront with them and encourage them to find an experience photographer if these shots are critical to them, if they are still game you are clear to go without anything to lose, don't charge either, I know time is money but this being your first wedding even if you have a great eye and technically good with a camera, you will stumble, we all do....just do it as a favor.

Get yourself a back up camera, you don't need anything else other than a flash, your camera some lenses, memory cards and extra battery...don't get caught up in all the gimmicks of off camera lighting, softboxes, extra flashes on stands for a silly flare danceshots....keep it simple and focus on the important moments....get a timeline of the day from the bride, where she wants you to start all the way to the end....if possible scout locations to be familiar with your sorroundings prior to shooting...snap snap snap...be aware of everything and good luck bro...weddings are very draining, you'll have over 1k shots to edit, the most annoying part is sorting out the garbage shots from the keepers in post editing, specially on your first weddings....check out other photographers for inspiration, here is my inspiration/fave photographer/friend/mentor dude is gifted.

www.nylagray.com

I shoot weddings from time to time and they can be tough if you go solo. First, I wouldn't charge if you know you don't have the experience.

I have a 50D and 580EXII with a Gary Fong diffuser, I use a friends 40D as my backup. KSteezy's blog is great for inspiration. I often wonder how he brings the personality out of his subjects. Biggest lessons I have learned is to take as many pictures as possible, when in doubt change your batteries in your flash, and always discuss the expectations with your bride and groom. I will never forget my first wedding.

By the way Seeko, this is Jason from ATL NT. Hit me up bro.

Thanks for the kind words bro!!!...glad I can serve of inspiration!!

Here is my blog address just in case

www.elkincardonaphotography.com/blog

Some shots from my hike today just outside Portland.

this strap is a thing of beauty bros, exactly what i needed for weddings to be able to easily wield two bodies without looking like a doofus.

Gonna take my d3100 out this weekend see if i can get at least 3 good shots i will post in here asap and wait for the cruel advice :rofl: but all in learning im in europe now finally got 3 years to shoot as much as possible

Adobo... BigRockFord... thanks alot fellas!
happy.gif

Ksteezy. I could imagine how difficult it is to work while carrying two cams with standard straps,

must be uncomfortable too. Not to mention the chance of a nicely ironed shirt getting ruined.

The price tag is def justifiable... the built quality seems solid! Looks badass too!

Last edited:
Gonna take my d3100 out this weekend see if i can get at least 3 good shots i will post in here asap and wait for the cruel advice
roll.gif
but all in learning im in europe now finally got 3 years to shoot as much as possible
Where in Europe exactly?

Definitely post your pics!

Lot of dope shots on this page. Now that I'm working 2 gigs I haven't had much time to put my Camera to use :frown:

Back
Top Bottom