The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^Man, that spot looks perfect for a long exposure for some stars.

Speaking of long exposure, has anyone done the steel wool thing? I know it's sort of a cliche thing to do and I seen so many people do it lately but I really do want to try it and there are some spots in SF that would be cool to do it.

tumblr_m6ec7hG8pn1qcf1yho1_500.jpg
tumblr_mb6smggtsa1qc21s1o1_500.jpg

What you mean? Have the barn, plus long exposures for stars? I never really ever shot stars man ... how long is long?
Like bulb long?

I think star shots look best with something in frame like that barn. And with no ambient light around and on that barn, it won't get over exposed if you do a super long exposure for the stars. That is why it is super hard to get stars when you shoot say a cityscape cause the lights from the building would over expose first before you could do the exposure long enough to get the stars.

Some samples. You could even light the barn with some LED lights to to give it an effect. Sometimes people do it and stack two photos with the barn and stars exposed.

5454795607_4543823b48_o.jpg
tumblr_lpsqdpJHlB1r16h5mo1_500.jpg
barn-stars-copy.jpg
p1576450108-3.jpg
6730131527_938466b315_z.jpg

Fongstarr, not as good as the ones you posted, but here's my 1st take on it ...

Never been the astronomy type of guy .. lol

Last edited:
That is an awesome shot. What are you shooting with again? I notice the gradient blend issue. I think that is where the sensors from full frame to crop come into play but I have that problem even with my camera.

That is an awesome shot. What are you shooting with again? I notice the gradient blend issue. I think that is where the sensors from full frame to crop come into play but I have that problem even with my camera.
Fong, what gradient issue? Maybe I'm missing something .... I have three different monitors and depending on which one I'm at - the vibrence/saturation can become an issue.

That was shot with a 5DII and 24-105L

Maybe is the quality when you uploaded to NT ...  

Last edited:
Guys - I'm trying to take at least one picture a day .. So, if you guys feel like I'm bombarding the thread, let me know ....

^^^Man, that spot looks perfect for a long exposure for some stars.

Speaking of long exposure, has anyone done the steel wool thing? I know it's sort of a cliche thing to do and I seen so many people do it lately but I really do want to try it and there are some spots in SF that would be cool to do it.

tumblr_mb6smggtsa1qc21s1o1_500.jpg

When I was shooting the bay bridge last week I saw someone doing this. Seemed pretty cool and they were also using an LED light afterwards.

Keko-Those shots of the barn and night shot are awesome! How long was the exposure for the night shot? For being your first time that is pretty good.

Fong, what gradient issue? Maybe I'm missing something .... I have three different monitors and depending on which one I'm at - the vibrence/saturation can become an issue.

That was shot with a 5DII and 24-105L

Maybe is the quality when you uploaded to NT ...  

Given I am on my work computer and it isn't the best but the sky shows like gradient issues when the blue gets from light to dark. Like there are pixels and what not showing and it doesn't have a super smooth transition. I always edit on my Mac and when I go to my work, I notice it more but when I get home, I see it also but it is more subtle.

This is my photo but as an example, you can see how there are gradient issues as well. You can really see it at the light blue areas.

heaven-7a.jpg

photographer bros, do yourself a favor and invest in some of the HoldFast gear, specially this moneymaker strap...

This might sound really dumb but I feel like if you own that strap that you have to dress the part. I don't dress all dipset and whatever but I just don't think I can pass that crazy strap look. Plus I got my camera in a bag almost a 100% of the time. I am way to scared to even carry it around my waste cause I already bashed it against a wall already.

Anyone have a list for somebody looking to get into photography?

Interested and what to know what to look for especially when buying a camera and getting angles and lighting and editing.

This might sound really dumb but I feel like if you own that strap that you have to dress the part. I don't dress all dipset and whatever but I just don't think I can pass that crazy strap look. Plus I got my camera in a bag almost a 100% of the time. I am way to scared to even carry it around my waste cause I already bashed it against a wall already.

Yeah putting that thing in you definitely have to be the type to put extra effort into what you have on, but I think that's the demographic holdFast was shooting for anyways, they have a highlight section of a handful of photographers who have used t and they all look pretty trendy.

Anyone have a list for somebody looking to get into photography?

Interested and what to know what to look for especially when buying a camera and getting angles and lighting and editing.

Like a start up DSLR and lense?

And thanks for the feedback bros

Back
Top Bottom