The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Fisheye IS a novelty lense and I wouldn't chose it over a 35mm, but if all you want to do is have fun with your camera then a fisheye can be extremely fun....I ised to love it when I first started shooting

And thanks on the feedback guys, shooting newborns is one of the most draining things in the world...lol

Last edited:
I need some help...
+1 for the 35 f/1.8. I shoot with a D3200 as well, and ever since I got the 35 it hasn't come off. I think a fisheye would look cool for some photos, but I definitely wouldn't want it for the majority of my shots.
It's true that the kit lens does cover the 35, but I think the improved image quality (especially in low light/indoors) is a worthwhile trade-off for no zoom. If you feel like the majority of the shots you'll be taking would look better with the fisheye, definitely go for that instead. I was actually considering an ultra-wide angle lens before buying the 35. But in the end I realized the 35 is more suitable for what I use my camera for.

Thinking a 85mm is gonna be next purchase. Right now I can't decide between the nikon 1.8g or the sigma 1.4.

Anyone with insight on either lens? Is the sigma worth twice the price?

Goste187...
I have the Nikon 85mm f.1.8G... It's my favorite lens. I'm shooting on a crop sensor so it has a different feel than on full frame but my other lenses don't compare when it comes to portraits. Other than that my other go-to is my 50mm f/1.8G which on the crop becomes similar to the 85mm on full frame.

BlueRibbon...
I have the 35mm and I think it's the best direction to go in because you will ultimately ditch that kit lens. Once I got my 35mm I stopped using my kit lens. Not being able to zoom does suck but the images are well worth it.

Fong...
Keep your head up. Hope he can get the help needed to pull through.

Goste187...
I have the Nikon 85mm f.1.8G... It's my favorite lens. I'm shooting on a crop sensor so it has a different feel than on full frame but my other lenses don't compare when it comes to portraits. Other than that my other go-to is my 50mm f/1.8G which on the crop becomes similar to the 85mm on full frame.

The 85 1.8G is unbelievabley sharp on my D800. IMHO its actually sharper than the 1.4G at 1.8.

^^ Very interesting, it'll be put on a D600 full frame sensor as well. Can you show me some sample pix of it on the D800?

The 85 1.8G is unbelievabley sharp on my D800. IMHO its actually sharper than the 1.4G at 1.8.
Man..appreciate all the help but of course I went w/ the pricier option
mean.gif

Sigma 85 f/1.4 on the way....hopefully it was worth 2x the price damn near.

Man..appreciate all the help but of course I went w/ the pricier option :smh:

I hope you like the Sigma 85. I own the 85mm (canon mount) and love how sharp it is. I have heard some great things about Sigma lately. I played with the 35 1.4 art series lens and fell in love. I'm gonna cop soon.

I hope you like the Sigma 85. I own the 85mm (canon mount) and love how sharp it is. I have heard some great things about Sigma lately. I played with the 35 1.4 art series lens and fell in love. I'm gonna cop soon.
Thank man. I had to think about the long run in this scenario. The Nikon 1.4 was completely out of the question so I went with the more durable lens (on paper). I hope it meets my expectations in this 

I think it all depends on what you are shooting for. I say get the fisheye if you are shooting only to put up stuff for the web. Honestly when people are saying its novelty, I mean that is if you are shooting for a purpose to be something outside of a photographer enthusiast. If you are just shooting to get cool photos, fisheye is a great lens especially if you are traveling. I have taken my fisheye lens to a lot of places like even NYC and it has been a great secondary lens in just capturing the large scope of things like buildings and what not. I'd get another one in a heart beat if I wasn't trying to get an 85mm.

And thanks for the all the general responses on my cat. I am not even that dude that puts my life on the net but I feel like any wish is a good wish.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on the type of lens to pick up.

I do agree I do think the 35mm would be my go to lens all the time.

And yes the fisheye lens would be like an accessory.

I would like just a couple of shots with that fisheye effect, not every single picture. 

For example a fisheye effect on the Roman Colosseum!

Will most likely pick up the 35mm.

Maybe the fisheye lens in the near future. 

Keep you posted on the pickup...

Cant wait to share the images from this trip!

Thanks to everyone for the feedback on the type of lens to pick up.
I do agree I do think the 35mm would be my go to lens all the time.
And yes the fisheye lens would be like an accessory.
I would like just a couple of shots with that fisheye effect, not every single picture. 
For example a fisheye effect on the Roman Colosseum!

Will most likely pick up the 35mm.
Maybe the fisheye lens in the near future. 

Keep you posted on the pickup...
Cant wait to share the images from this trip!

Not to make you second guess your decision, but you've already got 35mm covered in your zoom range. If you have specific shots you want to get with the fisheye, I'd go that route.

Goste187... Why the Sigma 1.4 instead of the Nikon 1.8? I remember watching a video that Matt Granger did on the Nikon 85 1.8 vs 1.4 and he said he would take the 1.8. I think it's even $100 off with the instant rebate right now.

BlueRibbon23... Might want to look into renting that fisheye. I'm actually going to sell my 35mm once I figure out how to get a D610. Thinking about going 28mm instead. Rock the 28, 50, and 85 and then a 70-200 and I should be good.

Goste187... Why the Sigma 1.4 instead of the Nikon 1.8? I remember watching a video that Matt Granger did on the Nikon 85 1.8 vs 1.4 and he said he would take the 1.8. I think it's even $100 off with the instant rebate right now.

BlueRibbon23... Might want to look into renting that fisheye. I'm actually going to sell my 35mm once I figure out how to get a D610. Thinking about going 28mm instead. Rock the 28, 50, and 85 and then a 70-200 and I should be good.

My decision was more long term thinking. My Street style means I'm shooting natural light 99% of the time so I need as fast lens as possible.

I watched various reviews of both lens and was on pixel peeper and they are Def close. The difference for me was that extra bit of speed, the actual build, and how well the sigma compares to the nikon 1.4

I figured I'd buy it now and not worry about upgrading whereas I'm sure eventually I would want to move up from the 1.8 eventually

A bit upset today... ATTEMPTED to have a shoot at the pool in my community with a good friend of mine and was shut down. Wasn't given a convincing answer as to why I couldn't shoot. It's not against the rules either. The hate for photographers is real. I could understand if I was told that I could come back once the leasing office was closed because they didn't want potential business to feel some type of way about it. Nope. I was told maybe if you came to us before we could work something out. I can rant all day about this...

Man..appreciate all the help but of course I went w/ the pricier option
mean.gif

I have the Sigma 85mm 1.4 myself. You won't be disappointed. It's an amazing lens. Recently copped the Sigma 35mm 1.4 and that's been great as well. Sigma 
pimp.gif

Back
Top Bottom