The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

If you have the adapter get DSLR dashboard. More control and it does work with video. Used it many times and enjoy it very much. More times than desired there is a lag in the live view tho

What's a good starter camera?

just about any camera one can buy these days that isn't a point & shoot (though the Sony rx100 & the canon powershot g7 are super capable & make great images) will be really, REALLY good; so the question is what do you want to do? put some thought into how important factors like connectivity, lens selection, portability, size, the system (i.e. do you want something to grow into/with or do you just want better quality images?) etc. matter for what you'd like to ultimately doing with the camera...

WELP.... SHOT MY 1ST WEDDING TODAY... AS A BEGINNER, I THINK I GIVE MYSELF A 7/10.

THAT SCORE BECAUSE:
-I WAS THE ONLY SHOOTER
-I ONLY HAVE 1 CAM
-I SNAPPED 286 PICS. LOL!
-VERY FEW BLURRY PICS

WILL POST A COUPLE IN HERE IN A COUPLE DAYS TO GET SOME CRITIQUING.

What's a good starter camera?

just about any camera one can buy these days that isn't a point & shoot (though the Sony rx100 & the canon powershot g7 are super capable & make great images) will be really, REALLY good; so the question is what do you want to do? put some thought into how important factors like connectivity, lens selection, portability, size, the system (i.e. do you want something to grow into/with or do you just want better quality images?) etc. matter for what you'd like to ultimately doing with the camera...

I wanna actually bring this up. As I posted previously...I wanna get serious about photography but want to do so gradually because i'm used to whipping out my ipod 5th gen and snapping pics from vacation.

I was gonna get the nikon l830 because for the price on black friday ($170) and the zoom, I didn't think it would be a bad deal. But i've been looking at all the great camera's out there and I saw the rx100. Now let's say that I'm just using my camera to snap pics for my blog and to gradually learn photography. Would anyone recommend me going with the rx100 or should I just dabble with nikon l830 just to **** around with.

Another thing on my mind is that I wanted to start out with a good all around camera which the rx100 seems to be (photo & video).

I figured I could learn some basics with either of these cameras and maybe move up to an actual entry level dslr in 8 months to a year.

Someone help me out with this...

I wanna actually bring this up. As I posted previously...I wanna get serious about photography but want to do so gradually because i'm used to whipping out my ipod 5th gen and snapping pics from vacation.

I was gonna get the nikon l830 because for the price on black friday ($170) and the zoom, I didn't think it would be a bad deal. But i've been looking at all the great camera's out there and I saw the rx100. Now let's say that I'm just using my camera to snap pics for my blog and to gradually learn photography. Would anyone recommend me going with the rx100 or should I just dabble with nikon l830 just to **** around with.

Another thing on my mind is that I wanted to start out with a good all around camera which the rx100 seems to be (photo & video).

I figured I could learn some basics with either of these cameras and maybe move up to an actual entry level dslr in 8 months to a year.

Someone help me out with this...

i would say if your goal is to eventually move up to an entry level dslr, get an entry level dslr (or mirrorless camera) because the rx100 (can't really speak for the new canon g7) while an awesome super nice camera probably isn't the best camera to learn with if you're trying to learn; it is somewhat awkward in some ways (some of the customization & ux can be confusing) but it would be awesome for those who don't want to lug around their dslr but still get high image quality, who already know their way around aperture, iso, shutter speed (because it shoots raw & offers manual control) or someone who'd want a really nice point & shoot without fussing about too much with the controls, because its got a relatively large sensor & great auto shooting modes...but i could see it being maybe frustrating to learn with because it doesn't seem to be very straightforward for learning

this isn't to say one couldn't learn with a camera like the rx100, there will be a learning curve no matter the camera chosen, but that it'd likely be much easier to learn with a camera that had dedicated buttons a dials to indicate the camera's settings without having to dig around in the interface too much...the micro 4/3rds mirrorless cameras to me seem to be a really good compromise, if a bit pricey (and a lil' hipster retro chic), because they are small, produce great images, and have pretty clear traditional camera controls.

I don't know much about that nikon but having a quick look at it, it doesn't look to have much in the way of physical controls, i guess if you'll really need that much zoom range it might be a good buy? but if you want to get into photography, maybe scouring your local craigslist for a decent cheap dslr/mirrorless camera and a cool lens for it and start taking pictures is the move to make, why wait?

Can't wait to see the wedding pics. Was it scary?

MY HEART WAS BEATING OUT MY CHEST! LOL!

I WAS FINE SHOOTING THE GROOM/BRIDE PARTY BUT THE ACTUAL CEREMONY, I BROKE A SWEAT, HEART WAS POUNDING. LOL!

IM GLAD IT WAS A SMALL GATHERING!

I'd actually suggest getting a camera with adjustable ISO, shutter speed, and aperture settings if you will eventually get to a higher level cam. Micro 4/3 cameras are good starting points

I'd actually suggest getting a camera with adjustable ISO, shutter speed, and aperture settings if you will eventually get to a higher level cam. Micro 4/3 cameras are good starting points
Systems will be pricier to start off with compared to the entry level dslr kits.

But alongside what you mentioned, I'd personally recommend a cheap used compact system (or point-and-shoot) that allows that functionality. If you just want the look of a dslr, I don't recommend buying those kits either. Everyone ends up trying to sell off those 18-55 and 55-200 lenses within the first 2 months due to gear acquisition syndrome. I think you'd be better served buying a body on its own and then a versatile lens you'd keep for a while (maybe a used Nikon 16-80, or used third party 17-50 to maintain budget)

If you have the adapter get DSLR dashboard. More control and it does work with video. Used it many times and enjoy it very much. More times than desired there is a lag in the live view tho
Wow, I've never come across this app until now. I don't really shoot with the adapter, but this app will definitely be useful for the few times that I do. Leaps and bound better than the Nikon app; they need to step their game up.

Great advice guys. So let's say my budget is $300 tops. Anything in particular I should look for that would help me start out?

Personally, I would like a smaller camera instead of lugging something hefty around, which is why I was attracted to the rx100 and L830.

Appreciated!

Great advice guys. So let's say my budget is $300 tops. Anything in particular I should look for that would help me start out?

Personally, I would like a smaller camera instead of lugging something hefty around, which is why I was attracted to the rx100 and L830.

Appreciated!

for 300, you may be able to find one of the older sony nex mirrorless systems. they're a few years old at this point but really good if you're starting out.
also in that range may be a canon T3. in my opinion, id save that 300, add to it a bit more till you're in the 500-600 range

nice! i shot my first two weddings a month ago. i only had one body and going forward thats something id never do again seeing that i shoot with mostly prime lenses. what was your setup?

Appreciated!

You could always go used. You can get a Rebel t2i/t3i on photography-on-the.net or ebay for a good price, though it might be a a little above 300.

Don't know much about compact systems, but I've been considering getting something from the Canon G series.

Last edited:
nice! i shot my first two weddings a month ago. i only had one body and going forward thats something id never do again seeing that i shoot with mostly prime lenses. what was your setup?

Interested to know his set up also. I shot my first wedding as a secondary shooter a few months back and it was hectic to say the least. I'm no pro but luckily my buddy was the primary photographer who was much better than me at it lol

For $300 I'd go for an EOS M with the 22mm or maybe an older Olympus m43

I have no friggin clue why I have my M cause i never shoot with it but I just saw the Samyang fisheye and totally want it for some reason.

Samyang7.5mm_on_EOSM.jpg

You got me fiending for the M now.

Now it's EOS M vs. RX100 (m1)

Honestly if it is between those two, go with the Sony. That thing has gotten such good reviews where as the M literally was a flop but was only saved by the software update. I don't thing anyone would take the M over the Sony, well, unless they got it for free.

I think it depends if you want a system camera or a fixed lens. Nice thing with the M is you can get Canon glass that will work with a DSLR if you upgrade. I agree though I'd take the Sony.

I've got that Samyang for Fuji mount, fun (and cheap) lens

Last edited:
For $300 I'd go for an EOS M with the 22mm or maybe an older Olympus m43

You got me fiending for the M now.

Now it's EOS M vs. RX100 (m1)

also, a good piece of just about always applicable advice (#alliteration!) when evaluating any potential purchase is to go to a place that sells the thing(s) your considering to actually see/touch/use said item(s) to be better informed, in this case cameras, preferably a camera store but a best buy/target/Walmart will do, to get a feel for these cameras...talk to the sales associate(s) & if they're even halfway knowledgeable you'll probably leave the store with a better idea of what you can handle...

Back
Top Bottom