The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Can everyone post whatever was used for each shot/post?  haha.

Anyways are those filters a waste of money?  The circular polarizer filter is advertised to improve outdoor shots.   And speaking of outdoor shots which would be better, Pancake 24mm or the 10-18mm? 

Also if anyone is interested in a D40x PM me.  Havent looked at the thing since getting a Canon :lol:  

Thanks fellas.

I own both 24mm pancake & the 10-18mm......personally Ive been doing most of my landscape stuff with that. One of my favorite pieces of glass. Its not really fast, but still solid.

I need to look into some wide glass.

one thing that people can do to shoot wide(r), is stitch together multiple images & crop later, with the added benefit of more detail and greater or shallower depth of field, it is a pretty awesome workaround...especially if using photoshop to edit

Last edited:
I'm going to do an iconic shoot of the Mary Hill Hunt Bridge (the Bridge in Dallas), in 4k with my Inspire 1 UAV. I'm going to do it at night in 4k resolution. Then I'm going to dress it up in Adobe Premier. I cannot wait!

The Inspire 1 has a 2 mile range so I'll be off in the distance while I shoot it. It sends a realtime no latency 720p video feed back to my tablet.

That bridge was designed by the world renowned Santiago Calatrava...he also designed some structures for the Athens Olympics as well as many more things.
My dude is been a month, we still waiting to see this.  What's going on?

Went to Yosemite this weekend with some friends. To echo Fong's sentiments from a few pages back, definitely rough being the only photographer in the group. I wanted to take time to set up shots and see different areas, everyone else wanted to just power through the hike :\ barely had time to get the framing right in most of my shots. Would love to make it back out there either solo or with people more into photography.

yosemite by bjamez20, on Flickr

I decided to come back to this post, speaking about being the only photographer in the group...etc. Ive done enough family events, kids parties, etc for my friends.....they never give me a hard time when it comes to wanting to stop for some shots. In fact, there have been quite a few times that rather then hit a bar or a lounge on weekend....theyll hit me up and say "hey bro, I found a spot/saw a mural/some graffiti if you want to make a night out of it, etc"

At the same time, in the back of my head I almost feel guilty holding people up when I'm trying to get a shot in the middle of something lol

Does anyone know if the Tribute to Lights Downtown only goes on 9/11 or all of sept till 9/11?

I swear I've seen it aside from September 11th, but according to this info from the website it looks like its only up the day of.

Source: http://www.mas.org/programs/tributeinlight/

Last edited:
I swear I've seen it aside from September 11th, but according to this info from the website it looks like its only up the day of.

Source: http://www.mas.org/programs/tributeinlight/
Yeah, I had read that before asking the question, but I too thought I seen it previous to Sept 11. Well, we are both correct, I talked to one of my shooting friends and he said they do random testing and from time to time you see them up for minutes at a time. 

Some recent random stuff.......first 4 taken with the 10-18mm, the others with the regular 18-55mm kit lens

#nyc #newyorkcity #newyork #random by Michael Rios, on Flickr

#nyc #newyorkcity #newyork #random by Michael Rios, on Flic#nyc #newyorkcity #newyork #random by Michael Rios, on Flickr
I hardly do this, but Reps for both posts
nthat.gif

I'll probably pick up both anyways haha.  10-18 for the ultra wideness/zoom, and the 24 for the primeness of it lol.

I hardly do this, but Reps for both posts :nthat:   

I'll probably pick up both anyways haha.  10-18 for the ultra wideness/zoom, and the 24 for the primeness of it lol.

Appreciate it......I know the price of the 10-18 is starting to come down (i purchased at the full retail price of 300, then it watched it drop to about 250 a few weeks later lol), and the 24 I was lucky enough to purchase it after the first price drop on it (from 200-down to 150)

Both are solid and I think you could do very well with either if you had to choose.

Planning to go to the zoo next weekend and shoot. Never shot at a zoo, so my question is what kind of lens (i have a full frame camera) are good for the zoo? Looking to rent rather than buy.

Thanks

^^^^Go long. Especially if you have a full frame. I find the best way to capture animals is super close shots and not wide angle. I really want to rent the 70-200mm L lens. Heard nothing but great stuff about it.

Get stuff like this if you can but it will be hard.

giraffecloseup.jpg
FPZoo-Resize.jpg

Back
Top Bottom