The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

^^^^Go long. Especially if you have a full frame. I find the best way to capture animals is super close shots and not wide angle. I really want to rent the 70-200mm L lens. Heard nothing but great stuff about it.

Get stuff like this if you can but it will be hard.

giraffecloseup.jpg
FPZoo-Resize.jpg

I used a friends 70-200 for the wedding I helped shoot a few weeks back. Incredibly phenomenal lens. The handling takes some getting used to, but so crisp and clear!

^Where's that at?!

Can you guys tell where the clone work was done here? I'm very bad at it and only spent about 10min doing it.

mount washington, in the white mountains of hew hampshire...

whatever you did, it looks good from here boss! I can't see anything that stands out...

Hey fellas,

I would appreciate your input here. My Canon S100 crapped out on me. It doesn't take pictures anymore but turns on and can see from the viewfinder. I got it 3 years ago and used it a lot. Dropped a few times. Not mad at it.

I want to get something to replace it. I want it to be compact and similar. I love Canon because you can set the auto timer to take multiple pictures. This is useful for outfit pictures for me. I don't use manual mode much. I usually just leave in auto mode.

Thinking about getting the same camera but want your guys opinions.

Thanks!

Edit: thinking about getting the Canon S110 as opposed to S120 since I only just take pictures in auto and resize them to 30 percent of the actual size. Price on Amazon is good. Would appreciate your thoughts!

Last edited:
Hey fellas,

I would appreciate your input here. My Canon S100 crapped out on me. It doesn't take pictures anymore but turns on and can see from the viewfinder. I got it 3 years ago and used it a lot. Dropped a few times. Not mad at it.

I want to get something to replace it. I want it to be compact and similar. I love Canon because you can set the auto timer to take multiple pictures. This is useful for outfit pictures for me. I don't use manual mode much. I usually just leave in auto mode.

Thinking about getting the same camera but want your guys opinions.

Thanks!

Edit: thinking about getting the Canon S110 as opposed to S120 since I only just take pictures in auto and resize them to 30 percent of the actual size. Price on Amazon is good. Would appreciate your thoughts!

given what your needs are you'd be fine with whatever camera you'd choose...but what would you be comfortable to spending though? for bang for your buck a sony rx100 (it is ever so slightly thicker than an s100) version i or ii (if you search around and don't mind scooping a used one) is pretty much the best compact camera for around the $250-$300 you'd spend on a new s1xx, and the version ii has a tilt-able screen for the selfie game, otherwise the cameras you are looking at aren't all that much better than this current generation of smartphone cameras other than having optical zoom, which isn't a small thing but that would depend on how useful having zoom is to you...

given what your needs are you'd be fine with whatever camera you'd choose...but what would you be comfortable to spending though? for bang for your buck a sony rx100 (it is ever so slightly thicker than an s100) version i or ii (if you search around and don't mind scooping a used one) is pretty much the best compact camera for around the $250-$300 you'd spend on a new s1xx, and the version ii has a tilt-able screen for the selfie game, otherwise the cameras you are looking at aren't all that much better than this current generation of smartphone cameras other than having optical zoom, which isn't a small thing but that would depend on how useful having zoom is to you...
I wouldn't want to spend more than $400. I think that's how much I paid for the s100 brand new.

I've heard good things about the Sony but how's the self timer feature? I have an Olympus too that gets rarely used because it only takes one picture and cannot be changed.

I'll look at it since the tilt seems dope but I usually just use a tripod and go stand a few feet back to get a dope backdrop along with the outfit pic.

Last edited:
From what you're coming from and your needs, you're probably fine just using your cell phone. If you want a compact, check out the canon G16.

I wouldn't want to spend more than $400. I think that's how much I paid for the s100 brand new.

I've heard good things about the Sony but how's the self timer feature? I have an Olympus too that gets rarely used because it only takes one picture and cannot be changed.

I'll look at it since the tilt seems dope but I usually just use a tripod and go stand a few feet back to get a dope backdrop along with the outfit pic.

with the sony you could also use your phone as a remote...though most new cameras are starting to add this functionality. I'd imagine the self timer is would be similar to most other cameras but I can't say for sure...you could also could look at the canon gx7 which is pretty similar to the sony and has the same tilt-able selfie screen that also is a touch screen, but is also more expensive

Thanks, dudes. I'm so out of touch. Lol. I haven't kept up in years. Will swing by Best Buy to play with a few.

Thanks, dudes. I'm so out of touch. Lol. I haven't kept up in years. Will swing by Best Buy to play with a few.

If you want to get a bit more fancy you could find a Sony Nex-5 mirrorless system in your price range. Explore a little bit and have some fun with photography.

If you want to get a bit more fancy you could find a Sony Nex-5 mirrorless system in your price range. Explore a little bit and have some fun with photography.
Thanks, man. I'll look into it.

I can't afford to have multiple expensive hobbies. I wanted to get into photography in the mid 2000s when I was still in undergrad and into modding cars. Saved up for an slr. $800 was a lot for a college kid. Got it and used it on many shoots. I realized then how expensive lenses are then lighting equipment. Lol.

I don't even have time to go do "shoots" anymore. I know several nters ie Elkin and Marcos are heavy into it. But alas, it's not my calling. I just want a tangible device for taking pics on the go and upload onto my blog to share.

Putting the finishing touches on a rebuild of my site.  Minimalist feel but still a lot of work for a non-comp dude like me.  Would appreciate constructive criticism/comments, etc. Peace.

http://www.tezwashere.com

I like the layout a lot. Im a minimalist person myself (I just love good content, I don't need bells & whistles). The layout is simple, clean, links are easily accessible.

The "About Me" was really cool. Its always nice to get some background on other shooters etc. The blog was cool, read about Myrtle Beach and its a great place. Have you ever been to Emerald Island in NC? I bring it up cause they both have a feel to them.....I dunno.

Sorry for rambling on everyone lol.

Lighthouses and Palace of Fine Arts are soo photogenic. Great shots guys!!!

And that Mission Peak. Done it twice. Never again most likely LOL. Ill stick to flat trails haha.

Went out to shoot the milky way.

My iso game weak.
What camera you using?

Just took my newly copped 6D out for night shooting and I'm blown away with how well it does in low light. Joint shoots at 2500 ISO like it's 150. My old 7d was iffy above 1000 even.

Any suggestions on a good backpack?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom