The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

The homie got this shot of me, had me sitting on a stool. Levitation photography has always been cool IMO. We had another shoot today, will upload when he finishes tinkering with em.

Last edited:
Anyone ever take a photography class? Is it worth it? I am getting a little frustrated with my my shooting as of late and wonder if a class could even help in that. Or are the Youtube classes just as good?

Anyone ever take a photography class? Is it worth it? I am getting a little frustrated with my my shooting as of late and wonder if a class could even help in that. Or are the Youtube classes just as good?

I keep going back and forth on wanting to pay for online "classes"

i follow scot kelby and he has a pretty attractive program..

http://kelbyone.com/

Unless it is an advanced class or workshop, you are going to be bored in there while they show everyone else how to use the camera in manual mode.

I don't think I'd ever pay for a photography class if it wasn't part of my undergrad schooling. The crazy part is the content they teach you for what you pay. I'll see stuff on groupon/living social all the time for $70 classes where they're just teaching you about 3rds composition, ISO, aperture, and shutter speed. You'd be better just watching youtube vids.

I guess some people would rather have a physical person there who they can talk to when they're not getting it right for immediate resolution.

15 years ago when I was on college (for those curious I am 35 lol)....I needed to take an "intro to photography" as part of my undergrad (I have a double major in communications/publication design and English)....the instructor was terribly boring and I ended up dropping the class 2x. After some time I was able to substitute another course to satisfy the degree requirements.

13-14 years later I ended up teaching myself how to shoot a DSLR manually

It's nice to learn new things, feels even more rewarding when you discover them yourself via trial and error!

^ Thats also why people go for classes. Some people just aren't inclined to go out on their own and shoot. They'd rather have classroom instructions. If the teacher takes them out then that's their experience.

I guess what I am looking for is just some sort of insight on things to shoot that I don't really have a knowledge for which is mostly portrait photography and even some flash stuff. To get some real hands on in that case would be the real ideal class for me but even with that, I'd never want to pay $300 for it. The funny thing too is I am very much a solo shooter. I actually clam up when I am at a spot where there is tons of photographers. I am always asking myself "why would I want to get something exactly as the person next to me?". Maybe the class thing in general is to open myself up to public shooting and even mingling with other photographers. Live criticism are really intuitive to me as well. I think reading stuff on the net is only so strong.

^For portrait photography you can try watching some videos on composition and positioning of models. Then go out with a friend and shoot. You can also try finding models via craigslist, but they can be flaky. Senior portraits are always another good opportunity to practice. 

I keep going back and forth on wanting to pay for online "classes"

i follow scot kelby and he has a pretty attractive program..

http://kelbyone.com/

i took an intro class at my CC, yeah I was pretty bored.

i'd rather just watch youtube videos.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom