The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I guess what I am looking for is just some sort of insight on things to shoot that I don't really have a knowledge for which is mostly portrait photography and even some flash stuff. To get some real hands on in that case would be the real ideal class for me but even with that, I'd never want to pay $300 for it. The funny thing too is I am very much a solo shooter. I actually clam up when I am at a spot where there is tons of photographers. I am always asking myself "why would I want to get something exactly as the person next to me?". Maybe the class thing in general is to open myself up to public shooting and even mingling with other photographers. Live criticism are really intuitive to me as well. I think reading stuff on the net is only so strong.

You can always come to Miami and I can help you out haha.

I just did a shoot with my boy on Saturday and we shoot differently. We didnt get similar images at all and we were standing right next to each other

i took a photography class as an undergrad as a part of the foundation courses for my major; it was pretty dope, moreso because of the students and structure than what we actually produced. we shot, developed, & printed our rolls of film, the instructor was pretty cool & there was much not that i recall in the mode of 'here's how to use a camera' it was a given that if you didn't know you would have to figure it out in order to complete your assignment...

a course could be beneficial if one feels like they could use the accountability, instruction, motivation, structure that it would provide. it also serves as place to build connection/relationships with potentially like interested persons. the other alternative is to do one of those photography workshop things that many photographers to be making their scratch, though not sure what the cost of something like that would be? otherwise the resources definitely exist online for one to get into whatever area of photography via youtube/vimeo/lynda.com (if you about that life) or even through a local photography club/crew. it is all ouchea

scooped a new toy for the low (#amazonwarehousecomeups!!!)

G L U T T O N Y by a0, on Flickr

took a few shots at the moon fully zoomed in:

M O O N by a0, on Flickr

haven't shot much else with it yet though, it is quite comical attaching such a massive lens to these small cameras...additional autumn atmospherics:

R G B || C M Y K by a0, on Flickr

P A T H W A Y S by a0, on Flickr

Untitled by a0, on Flickr

l o s || a r b o l e s by a0, on Flickr

around the bend by a0, on Flickr

Last edited:
^For portrait photography you can try watching some videos on composition and positioning of models. Then go out with a friend and shoot. You can also try finding models via craigslist, but they can be flaky. Senior portraits are always another good opportunity to practice. 

I still would like to see someone just do it live first. Like how to interact with people, how to post them, what to look for, etc.

Granger did this vid no too long ago. I know it's nude stuff but it touched on things that seemed interesting like the flexing of the leg, not to put weight on the butt area, etc. I want to know those little things a long with where or how to shoot when the sun is out, sun is going down, when shooting with long lens, short, etc.

^For portrait photography you can try watching some videos on composition and positioning of models. Then go out with a friend and shoot. You can also try finding models via craigslist, but they can be flaky. Senior portraits are always another good opportunity to practice. 

I still would like to see someone just do it live first. Like how to interact with people, how to post them, what to look for, etc.

Granger did this vid no too long ago. I know it's nude stuff but it touched on things that seemed interesting like the flexing of the leg, not to put weight on the butt area, etc. I want to know those little things a long with where or how to shoot when the sun is out, sun is going down, when shooting with long lens, short, etc.

This is why i LOVE second shooting weddings. I learn new posing tricks every time im out with my photographer mentor.

Shes constantly telling me little things here and there

I would take a film class, learn to develop and work the darkroom, that's about it...

Second shooting is a lot of fun depending who you are second shooting for...lucky for me I've only shot for a handful of photogs and became good friends with them all.

Wish I had a second on this wedding....my first destination, had a blast but worked super hard.

I would take a film class, learn to develop and work the darkroom, that's about it...

Second shooting is a lot of fun depending who you are second shooting for...lucky for me I've only shot for a handful of photogs and became good friends with them all.

Wish I had a second on this wedding....my first destination, had a blast but worked super hard.

I'd love to second shoot with you man you got some great stuff. I'm at the point where I wanna take photography to the next level and do more like parties and weddings. My job gives me the liberty to travel wherever and I'd be down to go anywhere to shoot.

about what Fongstarr was talking about I don't classes is what you need. You've got the basic down and you should just go out and maybe in groups and learn from others. I sure wish I had photographer friends that I can hangout with. Maybe some with roof access lol

We have those photog meet ups in SF but they are just too massive. I think people just meet up to meet up but I am looking for some knowledge and learning some new things more on the professional side of photography.

Just find an in studio meetup. Like go on meetup.com and find ones for photography. I've been to a few where the people own a studio and invite guest speakers or other meetup members to discuss different topics. They've done lighting, glamour shots, starting a business, etc. A couple times they gave us free reign of their equipment. Just be mindful of pricing. The one i frequent is free, but others may charge a price.

^^^Nice! Thanks man. I looked it up and found a Bay Area and Modeling Photography group. I guess I have to join to see what's up but it's a start.

EDIT: Found a photog meet up today in a studio in Berkeley. It's shooting painted nude photos of a model dressed up in a Halloween themed costume. It's $124 for essentially 3 hours of studio time which isn't too bad. Supposed to have 3 different lighting setups and backgrounds but one model. So far 5 people are going and all are mad old. Haha. Never worked in a studio before with legit lighting setup. I might go and see what's up.

Last edited:
We have those photog meet ups in SF but they are just too massive. I think people just meet up to meet up but I am looking for some knowledge and learning some new things more on the professional side of photography.

The big meetups are OD in my opinion. Might be fun to experience once, but definitely not the way I'd want to shoot.

When I was out last weekend there were a couple other photographers in the same spot. It was actually nice chatting with them, discussing gear, techniques, spots to shoot around the bay area, etc. Not professional type advice by any means, but still nice. One guy had a crazy motorized panoramic time lapse rig, took him like 45 minutes just to set the thing up :lol:

I've taken some photography classes on Lynda.com and while there's some good advice, it's nothing you can't get from your own research online.

From a shoot a while back..

jessica by bjamez20, on Flickr

yiu ever tried kids Fong?...stop stressing about posing and focus more on candid moments, best way to practice that is shooting kids bro....least that's how I progressed...eventually kids led to family which led to couples...I'm still not great at posing but my sessions go smoothly because I just set up a simple pose and let nature take its course....I set them up and tell them to just be themselves and forget I'm there...they do the rest and I just snap away....some people are great with posing, some clients HATE to be posed...unless you shooting "models" you will just have to be quick with the trigger and catch those spontaneous moments, kisses, hugs, smiles....gotta understand in portrait photography 99% you'll be shooting people who have never had their professional photos taken and posing them redundantly will just remind them of high school yearbook portraits and will automatically feel awkward, just learn some basic poses and let them do their thing.

This does not applied to paid pro models in a studio controlled environment obviously.

^^^^That's a good idea. Maybe I should try my niece and nephew. I am shooting my cousin's engagement photos. I am actually quite terrified I am going to mess that up.

I just noticed an admin deleted my post. I actually thought since it was tasteful that my photos would be good. My bad to the NT gods.

Oh also you guys will be happy to know that I show RAW and Jpeg at this class. I had a question for you guys. So I opened up the RAW file in Photoshop, adjusted it to my liking and saved as a JPeg and sent that photo to my phone. When I opened it in my iPhone 6+, I noticed the colors and all the color correction I did were different from my computer. I even opened up that JPeg file again on PS and it was fine. Am I doing something wrong with exporting the photo?

Oh also you guys will be happy to know that I show RAW and Jpeg at this class. I had a question for you guys. So I opened up the RAW file in Photoshop, adjusted it to my liking and saved as a JPeg and sent that photo to my phone. When I opened it in my iPhone 6+, I noticed the colors and all the color correction I did were different from my computer. I even opened up that JPeg file again on PS and it was fine. Am I doing something wrong with exporting the photo?

how different are we talmbout?

warmer vs cooler is a issue i have. i have 2 monitors a phone and a tablet... they all looks SLIGHTLY different... ranging from cool to warm.

You can buy calibrators online for a about a hundred if its that serious

Amazon product ASIN B00UBSL2TO
u may also want to look into getting better displays... but thats expensive :lol:

how different are we talmbout?

warmer vs cooler is a issue i have. i have 2 monitors a phone and a tablet... they all looks SLIGHTLY different... ranging from cool to warm.

You can buy calibrators online for a about a hundred if its that serious

Amazon product ASIN B00UBSL2TO
u may also want to look into getting better displays... but thats expensive :lol:

It looked way cooler. I've edited photos from my computer and sent to my phone and it looked the same. This has to do with it being a RAW file i believe. I have to look into it more when I get home. I was editing at 2am and wondering if i was doing something wrong.

Speaking of calibrators, someone at the class had one of these things:

Shot it in front of the model and told me it was to fix the coloring in post. There is supposed to be this software that will edit it automatically to get the correct color. I literally never see this before.

My laptop and monitor don't render the same color output so I change the tint and temp to match.

If they were fine before, look into the color spaces being used. By default my raw photos import to LR as Adobe RGB. However most images i think use sRGB. Try changing that first and then exporting as jpeg.

My laptop and monitor don't render the same color output so I change the tint and temp to match.

If they were fine before, look into the color spaces being used. By default my raw photos import to LR as Adobe RGB. However most images i think use sRGB. Try changing that first and then exporting as jpeg.

Nice....I'll look into that.

I just saw this online. The person says TIFF files are the best way to save from a RAW file cause you get the best quality.

http://www.digitalcameraworld.com/2012/08/21/raw-tuesday-the-best-way-to-save-a-raw-file/

TIFF is only useful if you still plan on editing the file. They still contain layers and will be smaller than a raw or photoshop file. But as a final image to give to people or post on the web, you should still further export TIFFs as jpeg or png.

Back
Top Bottom