The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

btw im doing some hip hop artist portaits. any tips? havent done anything like this ebfore. i usually just go aorund shooting for fun trying to see what i can do. now i am doing my first portrait work with a friend. any tips would help. i''ve been studying different photographers work so i have some ideas.

Few shots from the session I had yesterday.

Kids mom wanted portraits done for her girls 8th birthday

Last edited:
Few shots from the session I had yesterday.

Kids mom wanted portraits done for her girls 8th birthday
you shot this with your new 70-200mm?

Yes I did.

Almost the entire shoot was done with it.

I like to switch to my primes too but the mom was running really late and we actually started to run out of light.

I try to shoot every gig w/ every one of my lenses (right now w/ canon i only have 3).

Also, the "huge flowery area" the mom wanted it done at ended up being like, 1 square foot of flowers, i swear :lol: :x :lol:

Last edited:
a freind told me the Lumix FZ200 is the way to go if I wanted to be cheap. so i got it. paid 180. well see what it is next week when it gets here.

he kept tellin me to getta Pentax K50 but i didnt wanna spend the extra money jus yet

a freind told me the Lumix FZ200 is the way to go if I wanted to be cheap. so i got it. paid 180. well see what it is next week when it gets here.

he kept tellin me to getta Pentax K50 but i didnt wanna spend the extra money jus yet

Honestly those are really odd suggestions. I am not a huge fan of those point and shoot DSLRs just because you can't swap lenses. I am almost sure you could have gotten an old Nikon for a cheap price but if you are happy, than that is all that matters.

btw im doing some hip hop artist portaits. any tips? havent done anything like this ebfore. i usually just go aorund shooting for fun trying to see what i can do. now i am doing my first portrait work with a friend. any tips would help. i''ve been studying different photographers work so i have some ideas.
Find an area with the city in the backdrop or some thing that kinda reflects their music. Tougher artist = "grittier" background ie graffiti , Lyrical artist = Significant Background ie a childhood home or neighborhood staple store or area. Something complimentary

Honestly those are really odd suggestions. I am not a huge fan of those point and shoot DSLRs just because you can't swap lenses. I am almost sure you could have gotten an old Nikon for a cheap price but if you are happy, than that is all that matters.
The Pentax is interchangeable.

The benefits of those others is the zooming. If you try to make an alternative kit with a cheaper dslr body and lenses you'd still be over priced for the target audience. Some people just want decent images without sacrificing too much on cost. If I'm sitting high up in the stands and want a close up of my child's graduation or game, this may provide a better image zoomed in than my phone would.

As a day to day, I still think cell phones provide really great images for most people's needs. I've have a co-worker who recently had a baby and the only reason she bought a DSLR was to have pic's of her child with a "blurry background". I'm sure there are apps that can suffice that need.

Last edited:

You could have gotten a nice point & shoot with that money.

The K50 is pretty nice for the price point. Just finding aftermarket lenses/etc for it will be a bit more difficult. If I had to pick between the two, I would have chosen the Pentax. As previously stated before, I probably would have stayed away from those all-in-1 super-zoom cameras.

But in all honesty, none of that matters. If you're gonna shoot with that camera until it's beaten to the ground, then that's all that matters. Just shoot! Congrats and have fun!

so today i edited some old photos for practice. i believe i was using some type of film emulation picture style in my canon t1i. i think the highlights are harsh in the second picture due to this. i decided i'm no longer doing that and will do the emulation in Lightroom. didnt even have Lightroom when i took these pictures lol.

any feedback with the editing?

iwk6zd.jpg

35arp0j.jpg

Last edited:
so today i edited some old photos for practice. i believe i was using some type of film emulation picture style in my canon t1i. i think the highlights are harsh in the second picture due to this. i decided i'm no longer doing that and will do the emulation in Lightroom. didnt even have Lightroom when i took these pictures lol.

any feedback with the editing?
I'd say this, as just some hopefully helpful advice in general.  If you had gone to the other side of the dude, you would have had nice lighting on the side of his face, and also would have been shooting into what appears to be a dark room (which would have gotten rid of distracting highlights in the background.  You cannot see his eyes at all, and I am kind of more interested in what he is actually looking at (which might be nice to include in the picture next time if it is interesting). I feel if you had just switched sides of this photo, it would be much better.  There is also a debate (at least amongst old asians and old westerners) about which side your eyes naturally view a photo.  Most people stateside will say that when you instantly look at a photo, you eyes will go from left to right (similar to reading).  However, if you are from an asian country, it is possible that you would read right to left, and therefore would be the opposite.  Since I grew up here, I tend to agree with left to right.  I feel like if the photo is reversed, it is also much more pleasing (other then the obvious words being backwards).  

As for editing, I edited it slightly, where I blew out the highlights.  When you have a bunch of bright stuff in the background like you do, I find that it is rather distracting and such.  Might as well just blow it all out and get rid of it.  I also brightened up his face, and tried to remove some of the lens flare that was on his hat.  Made it a slightly tighter crop also.

I'd say this, as just some hopefully helpful advice in general.  If you had gone to the other side of the dude, you would have had nice lighting on the side of his face, and also would have been shooting into what appears to be a dark room (which would have gotten rid of distracting highlights in the background.  You cannot see his eyes at all, and I am kind of more interested in what he is actually looking at (which might be nice to include in the picture next time if it is interesting). I feel if you had just switched sides of this photo, it would be much better.  There is also a debate (at least amongst old asians and old westerners) about which side your eyes naturally view a photo.  Most people stateside will say that when you instantly look at a photo, you eyes will go from left to right (similar to reading).  However, if you are from an asian country, it is possible that you would read right to left, and therefore would be the opposite.  Since I grew up here, I tend to agree with left to right.  I feel like if the photo is reversed, it is also much more pleasing (other then the obvious words being backwards).  

As for editing, I edited it slightly, where I blew out the highlights.  When you have a bunch of bright stuff in the background like you do, I find that it is rather distracting and such.  Might as well just blow it all out and get rid of it.  I also brightened up his face, and tried to remove some of the lens flare that was on his hat.  Made it a slightly tighter crop also.

i appreciate this. these two pictures werent meant to be anything crazy, but i took them for fun. i also had another edit where you could see his face better, but i didnt like how much more the highlights were blown out. as i look back i do like it better due to the fact his face is more visible. i would have gone to the other side if i was actually trying to take these photos seriously rather then just taking them because i can lol. i just did it real quick. it really gives me something to remember though because i even though i know it would be better to go to the other side i may have not done it.
14kl9a1.jpg

Last edited:

Is this a good deal for starters?

If this is a drawn out hobby of yours, do yourself a favor and buy everything piece by piece. If I were you, buy just the NIkon body (I just googled it and saw a price for $300) and then take the other $100 and get the Nikon 35mm 1.8G which is like $170. From there, you should be able to do some decent shooting. The 35mm might not be an all purpose lens (it's not ultra wide and not telephoto) but it will teach you at least the ins and outs of shooting and is a pretty decent focal length considering.

If this is a drawn out hobby of yours, do yourself a favor and buy everything piece by piece. If I were you, buy just the NIkon body (I just googled it and saw a price for $300) and then take the other $100 and get the Nikon 35mm 1.8G which is like $170. From there, you should be able to do some decent shooting. The 35mm might not be an all purpose lens (it's not ultra wide and not telephoto) but it will teach you at least the ins and outs of shooting and is a pretty decent focal length considering.

this. all that extra stuff is usually **** quality anyway.

I'll be optimistic.

Nice if you're looking to dabble in it and test it. Because who knows it might not be something you want to do long term.

Good just to get a feel of basics and learn about your F stops, ISO, Shutter speeds etc. Then once you get the high quality stuff like our colleagues mentioned above, you're really going to see some results.

You can still take prime photos and nice even if you're on a budget.

Last edited:

Add some tone to your boy. You got him looking like the ghost of Kawhi Leonard.

lol you right. there was a lot of tone originally due to whatever that stupid film emulation in my camera i was using and maybe thats why i took so much out. anyways i noticed this earlier after posting, but hey thats why i did this for practice. thanks for the feedback! lol

Back
Top Bottom