The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

A couple weeks my friend and I were in upstate NY. He's a big outdoors guy and invited me to hike Watkins Glen State Park. When we got there we saw that the park was closed (Not open during the winter) so we had to hop over a couple of fences. If any of you east coast head live close i recommend checking it out.

Last edited:
Yo dj, next time you do the smokes you should have the client have the back of their hand to the lens so its not as visible in hand :pimp:

You got some sick locals for the grimey look :pimp:

Ah, yeah!! I'm gonna have to give that a whirl. Good lookin out.

I hope you've been out shooting!! Post some more ish

Danny got the asian models on lock. Wish i lived out west :x

I swear the guy only knows :pimp: looking people :lol:

those bombs from enola gaye?

Yes they are. I found a local paint ball shop that sells them $6 a pop

Damn how are is he holding it on the sides? It gets pretty warm in that area :lol:

For me the only cool part was like the bottom 1/5 of the can.

Then again, I only held it after the smoke was gone.

Last edited:
Dope stuff being put out in here as always fam!!!

Did my first "official" photo shoot yesterday. spent the whole day working around the city hittin all the "SF spots" for these twins doing their senior portraits.

This is just one quick edit of one of the shots and would love some feedback and critique from all y'all portrait pros.

Last edited:
Was so cool to shoot at SF city hall. Digital delivery went out to the bride today and she loved them and immediately started to blow up my facebook telling all these people to follow me and what not :rofl: :pimp:

A shot that shows off the awesome building.

Was so cool to shoot at SF city hall. Digital delivery went out to the bride today and she loved them and immediately started to blow up my facebook telling all these people to follow me and what not :rofl: :pimp:

A shot that shows off the awesome building.

That's awesome bro. Must be a great feeling. Good stuff!!

A couple weeks my friend and I were in upstate NY. He's a big outdoors guy and invited me to hike Watkins Glen State Park. When we got there we saw that the park was closed (Not open during the winter) so we had to hop over a couple of fences. If any of you east coast head live close i recommend checking it out.

I've always wanted to head out there on my bike but it's a 4 hour ride for me.  I've never seen winter-y pics of that area before. Very nice.

From sunday. All natural light.

Please critique! I desire to be better.

Beautiful, bro. Absolutely beautiful. Love the tones and contrast.

Damnit, man. How the hell do you do this haha. Always great images. Glad you're getting noticed, homie. Is that the 35mm?

Last edited:
Been out the last couple of evenings with a friend and just got the latest PS. I'm not sure about this but I wanted to experiment with a new technique for B&W. There's a whole line of these things - built as anti-submarine measures in WW2. It's literally 5 minutes from my house. The light was never great but I like the lines in the sand and the shape of the concrete.

26438929912_eb63c6bc9c_c.jpg

Last edited:

Only critique I can give is perhaps a different area would have made these shots more enticing. The poses are basic and with a regular background the shots come off wanting. Maybe a busy background would take these Chill Sunday Shots and add some umph to em

my opinion is the opposite... i would take those shots for the rest of your career

the light through the trees comes off perfect for me in those shots, jus like the last ones. not eem noticing the girl is BLAH hah

top one needs an angle correction maybe

Im getting married in 2 weeks and havent had time to shoot or edit hardly at all. got a few candids from my daughters bday but thats all

cameras comin with me to Bermuda after though so hopefully Ill have some good stuff to share soon

Only critique I can give is perhaps a different area would have made these shots more enticing. The poses are basic and with a regular background the shots come off wanting. Maybe a busy background would take these Chill Sunday Shots and add some umph to em

:rofl: :rofl: u right... i do almost all my portrait sessions at parks and golf courses

Thats an interesting comment and point of view though. I was also told that the bokeh in the background is distracting.

I have some boudoir, beach, and swimsuit shoots coming in the next few weeks im really excited about. Less green bokeh for sure :lol:

my opinion is the opposite... i would take those shots for the rest of your career

the light through the trees comes off perfect for me in those shots, jus like the last ones. not eem noticing the girl is BLAH hah

top one needs an angle correction maybe

Im getting married in 2 weeks and havent had time to shoot or edit hardly at all. got a few candids from my daughters bday but thats all

cameras comin with me to Bermuda after though so hopefully Ill have some good stuff to share soon

Thank you for mentioning the angle. Do you feel shooing high down at her would be better?

The girl was okay, i could have directed her more... She had a tendency of standing STRAIGHT versus placing weight on a hip / popping out her butt. I should have noticed it during the shoot and corrected her.

Congrats on your upcoming marriage. I tied the knot 2.5 years ago and love married life.

Now if u just step up your CoD game and 1v1 me........... :nerd: :nerd: :nerd: :rofl:

4v4 360 no scopes only lol

if you really want a noobs opinion id say the way you shot it jus doesnt compliement her mid section. if you stay low id swing about 30 degrees left and lean out her lat and wasteline. you def accentuated her lacking cleavage but she should look leaner and more delicate maybe

Anyways, I hope that helps.  You're really close, but you really have to work on the backgrounds.  I think the bokeh in these photos looks messy.  Its too blurry that it is difficult to see the background, but not blurry enough to be messy and distracting.  Backgrounds are so important in general to model shooting... the background is what makes or breaks the photo, not the model.  

Stay grindin djyoung08 djyoung08 always enjoy seeing your work.

Tryin to get better at this stuff, will post a couple other portrait shots soon....BUT,

Anyone down to comment critique on my 1st go at a portrait shoot on the last page?

Stay grindin djyoung08 djyoung08 always enjoy seeing your work.

Tryin to get better at this stuff, will post a couple other portrait shots soon....BUT,

Anyone down to comment critique on my 1st go at a portrait shoot on the last page?

I actually really liked it. I might have put a little bit more of their legs in, but it probably wasn't necessary, and might make the photo more complicated. I like that you left the hands in the shot. The poses are nice, and I like how the girls are close together because it shows they like each other. I might also have the girl in the blue turn her body slightly to make it a bit "thinner", as she is squared up to the photo. These are all nt picky things though. The one thing that bothered me was the gradient on the skyscrapers in the background. My guess is that the top was a bit blown out, and you used an adjustment filter in Lightroom to bring back some detail on them. I would say you did a little too much because the gradient is too strong, and it messes with the colors too much back there. I'd try to clean it up a little bit to make it look a bit better. I like the background though, because you can look at that photo and immediately know where those girls are from.

I'd say the same thing on this one as the 2nd one when it comes to aligning the model with the background.  I don't like the top that she has hanging from her arms.  The reason I don't like it is because you can really only make it out on her forearms, but the draped part blends in with the rest of her body.  Either have her create a little separation by moving her arms back so that the top is separated from her back a bit so the viewer can easily see it, or take it off completely.  

Anyways, I hope that helps.  You're really close, but you really have to work on the backgrounds.  I think the bokeh in these photos looks messy.  Its too blurry that it is difficult to see the background, but not blurry enough to be messy and distracting.  Backgrounds are so important in general to model shooting... the background is what makes or breaks the photo, not the model.  

Thank you man. All those comments are very well taken. You pointed out a bunch of stuff my eyes were refusing to see until reading your comments. I'm shooting with a model again this Friday feeling much better equipped.

I think having your work critiqued and picked apart is crucial to getting better.

Anyone on IG can tell me they're "good" pics.. shoot i wouldn't have posted them if i didnt think somewhere deep down they were "good". I'm trying to achieve greatness.

Thanks again man.

Dope stuff being put out in here as always fam!!!

Did my first "official" photo shoot yesterday. spent the whole day working around the city hittin all the "SF spots" for these twins doing their senior portraits.

This is just one quick edit of one of the shots and would love some feedback and critique from all y'all portrait pros.

Always watch the edges of your frame. You are chopping them off at the fingers and hands.

The processing is a bit HDR-ish because you probably shot this either exposing for their skin or for the super bright sky. IMO its okay to blow out the blue sky to white to make the skin correct. Its technically incorrect exposure but its an "in" look right now.

Solid picture though. I'm sure they're more than happy with what you delivered.

Back
Top Bottom