The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

Always watch the edges of your frame. You are chopping them off at the fingers and hands.

The processing is a bit HDR-ish because you probably shot this either exposing for their skin or for the super bright sky. IMO its okay to blow out the blue sky to white to make the skin correct. Its technically incorrect exposure but its an "in" look right now.

Solid picture though. I'm sure they're more than happy with what you delivered.

Looks like there was some spot adjustment to exposure on their head and upper bodies.

Another thing to do could be bracket the shot and shoot meter to the background, metered to the ladies, then blend in PS.

Sunrise in paradise..
Newport Beach So Ca

Shot w/ canon 7d mk II + 24mm f2.8 + aquatech Waterhousing

Right on for the feedback djyoung08 djyoung08 and dragicon dragicon , I really appreciate that. I was so focused on their faces and general composition/background I wasn't paying attention to the little details. This portrait stuff is no joke. The feedback is very helpful.

Edited to add thanks to HankHill HankHill for the feedback to, good catch on that spot adjustment. I'm definitely still learning how to post process...a long way to go still.

Here's another one from the other day, whatchy'all think?

BrinzosPalace by ryan g, on Flickr

Last edited:
Here's another one from the other day, whatchy'all think?

BrinzosPalace by ryan g, on Flickr
Is this before or after editing?

Composition wise there's too much unused space above their heads. If the building behind them has appeal would have been better to rotate around to get it more into frame. Picture works great as a landscape, but as a portrait that dead space is distracting

Last edited:
Or you could add a graphic up there or make it a collage picture and add some more shots arranged up top

I was just going to ask but I read your other post saying that this was for senior portraits. I thought that was the oddest thing about the photo. Couldn't really make what it was for but just shows how disconnect I am with my own family cause I would never do that. Haha.

My only gripe with the photo really is the coloring. It's obvious you shot in the shade and tried to blow out the shadows to sort of to even out the tone. That is why it looks HDRish. What would have helped in that situation is using a reflector to bounce light back to them. I know it's hard doing that without an assistant but you sort of have to use the sun at the right angle or you will get some odd shots if so.

Thoughts on Vanguard Alta Pro 264AB w/ SBH-100 Ball Head? Really don't have a quality tripod yet and figured for $130 new and shipped this should be decent for a while. How is this for hiking and traveling?

Cant put my finger on it but their skin still looks off to me.

For sure the hue of their skin is different on the two pics.

Last edited:
SouthCityDon......I am not sure if I am making a generalized statement but your photo editing and picture style on portraits seemed heavily influenced from taking landscapes. Trust me....I do it all the time and can't seem to break it sometimes. I think the edits look good! In normal cases, I wouldn't always agree to crop out so much like you did on the 2nd pic but because the background didn't show the structures that clearly, I think it works.

no generalization at all in my case Fong...I am fightin myself somethin wicked with this editing of these portraits and all based on what I am used to doing with landscape.
gonna work at it later to keep it real basic...

any tips/suggestions or youtubes to watch in terms of simple portrait editing would be appreciated!

SouthCityDon......I am not sure if I am making a generalized statement but your photo editing and picture style on portraits seemed heavily influenced from taking landscapes. Trust me....I do it all the time and can't seem to break it sometimes. I think the edits look good! In normal cases, I wouldn't always agree to crop out so much like you did on the 2nd pic but because the background didn't show the structures that clearly, I think it works.

I'm loving the new Photoshop - does a bunch of things which my older version couldn't.

New B&W conversion of this which I took in January.

This would be a killer metallic print!!

As far as portrait tips I try to make things as realistic as possible, which can be translated as raise contrast and saturation a so the colors pop. I'm trying to watch tutorials on learning what settings can be changed to make blah photos seem surreal.

i never raise the saturation on portraits. i hate what it does to skin. every now and again i'll do a very minimal bump (no more that 15) on vibrance.

Last edited:
no generalization at all in my case Fong...I am fightin myself somethin wicked with this editing of these portraits and all based on what I am used to doing with landscape.

any tips/suggestions or youtubes to watch in terms of simple portrait editing would be appreciated!

I am no master at portraits but guess I know what I like. If the sun is out, I generally like things on the warm side. Skin is a hard thing to color right but if the sun is in frame or is evident, you can get away with having a more saturated look. If the sun isn't out, you can definitely play with skin color and cool it down. I guess it just all depends on the look you are achieving but know not all looks work. Also posing is just so key in portrait stuff. I think that can make your photo more so than the actual photo itself. It's no wonder why even iPhone portraits look good if you have the right model in front of you. Also your environment as well is key. I think Steezy does that in a lot his pics. He always finds a nice backdrop to shoot and gets cool photos because of it. It's just way different then landscapes where you environment and lighting make more the difference.

thanks fam!! 'preciate that...this one little gig has me thinkin I'll stick to landscape!!
roll.gif

much respect to y'all portrait gurus!!!
SouthCityDon's landscape photos are insane
eek.gif
I might be generalizing, but looking at the portraits you posted, if I had to guess what happened is that you had the models to dark with the natural light, and really raised the shadows in post.  I think that is why they are looking a little funky.  I like the photos though.  I'd get a reflector, and even in the shade, you can get some nice fill light with it at your feet (no assistant needed)

This is how I would have done it if it were my image.

Add a little bit of contrast. Original imaged appeared a little flat and somewhat muted. Brought down the black slider a bit. Messed with the curves by bringing the highlights up a little and the shadows down just a tad.

I personally like warmer skin tones so I adjusted the white balance. It made the skin tones a little more orange, so I bumped the saturation down on the skin tones.

Might be a little too punchy, but you get the point.

Anyone got any experience with the Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L non IS? I see one on CL for $650 it's worth double that. Just wonder if I should get it to use as a long lens but wonder if the IS version is just that much better to save up for.

Thoughts?

Back
Top Bottom