The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

All DSLRs have the same learning curve. What you will learn on a beginner can be applied to an advance DSLR. The D5300 isn't so much harder than the T3i but just has more options to do things. The real question is lens preference really. Do you want to invest in Nikon lenses or Canon ones? There's no real clear winner with that question. I've had both and have had both positive things for Canon and Nikon.

Last edited:
Fong$tarr Fong$tarr

at first i was for the t3i because i figured i wanted to do more still photography, but i also read that it's not a great DSLR for sports(I'd love to go to sporting events and take photos someday)

The biggest factors that attract me to the D5300

1080p at 60fps

slightly higher resolution and less noise

wifi

build quality(t3i feels cheap to me)

t3i

value i feel like i'll get more for my money

I wish i can take both cameras home and try em, that's the only way i'll feel iike i'll get the ultimate satisfaction

Thanks for your help

Hey guys, I think I'm gonna go ahead and roll with the Manfrotto 294
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...94A3_D3RC2_294_Aluminum_3_Section_Tripod.html

Now my next question, it goes in regard to lighting. I will be doing a small photobooth area and was wondering what would be necessary. As of right now I have one 430ex ii. I've never really used flashes off the camera before and always left my flash on ETTL so I have a few questions. I was looking at Amazon and they sold flashes for about $35. My plan was to purchase two flashes and shoot them both simultaneously alongside the 430ex ii. From the little research I've done so far, I can put the two Amazon flashes into slave mode and fire with the built in transmitter from the on camera flash (master?). I was wondering if it was possible to leave my 430 on the hotshoe of the camera and set that as master?

Here is what I plan to purchase
Two flashes
Amazon product ASIN B004LEAYXYThese mounts
Amazon product ASIN B008S1W19Q
Will I need anything else to make this work? I see this product and it has transmitters and receivers and what not? Not sure what they're for/do.
Amazon product ASIN B00NON2JPE

Halp :frown:

Shop in town has a s-ton of old manual primes in all flavors. Unfortunately, this Konica goes for like $650 too rich for my blood. I did pick up some Takumars and old Canon FD lenses tho.

Shop in town has a s-ton of old manual primes in all flavors. Unfortunately, this Konica goes for like $650 too rich for my blood. I did pick up some Takumars and old Canon FD lenses tho.
This post caught my interest so I Googled the Konica in the photo. One of the first results led to a video measuring gamma radiation given off by the lens. Apparently a decent amount of older lenses give off radiation due to a chemical compound in the glass. Take it as you will, I just thought it was interesting.

http://camerapedia.wikia.com/wiki/Radioactive_lenses

Brah's I wanna get into photography. I just don't know how. I was totally not into photography when it got super popular all those years ago but I'm really kinda into it now.

I have an ipod (5th gen) and an old Canon powershot sd which is like 8 mp.

Where the hell do I start.

Serious question.

Brah's I wanna get into photography. I just don't know how. I was totally not into photography when it got super popular all those years ago but I'm really kinda into it now.

Serious question.

IM STILL QUITE THE BEGINNER.

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN INTO PHOTOGRAPHY BUT ONLY USED MY ONLY TOOLS I HAD AT THE TIME(MY CAMERA PHONE).

A LOCAL PHOTAG TAKES PICS AT A LOT OF PARTIES HERE AROUND TOWN. I ASKED HIM WHAT KIND OF CAMERA HE USED, HE TOLD ME A NIKON D5200... HE SOLD ME ON IT BY 2 SPECIFIC FEATURES IT HAD ON IT, FLIP OUT SCREEN & WIFI.

I SET MY MIND ON GETTING THAT AND WAS ABLE TO GET IT THIS PAST FEBRUARY. I THINK IVE COME A LONG WAY SINCE DAY 1, AND CONSTANTLY IMPROVING. I STILL HAVE A LOT OF LEARNING TO ACCOMPLISH, BUT I DEF ENJOY IT.

*END STORY* LOL!

Get this. Cheap and really solid flashes and with built in receivers:

Amazon product ASIN B00I44F5LS
Then get this trigger/receiver for your camera. You get two but you only need one since the flashes have a built in receiver.

Amazon product ASIN B00HO0BYQS

From there you can do off flash photos. Of course you can get umbrellas and what not but I am kind of a noob on those things. These of course are only used for shooting night or dusk shots. You won't be able to shoot in the daylight. You need a strobe for that. Hope that helps.

Then get this trigger/receiver for your camera. You get two but you only need one since the flashes have a built in receiver.

From there you can do off flash photos. Of course you can get umbrellas and what not but I am kind of a noob on those things. These of course are only used for shooting night or dusk shots. You won't be able to shoot in the daylight. You need a strobe for that. Hope that helps.
Those flashes are awesome. I trigger them with the 560tx. Being able to adjust flash from the cam is awesome. Paired with this bad boy I own the sun at high noon.

Serious question.

IM STILL QUITE THE BEGINNER.

I'VE ALWAYS BEEN INTO PHOTOGRAPHY BUT ONLY USED MY ONLY TOOLS I HAD AT THE TIME(MY CAMERA PHONE).

A LOCAL PHOTAG TAKES PICS AT A LOT OF PARTIES HERE AROUND TOWN. I ASKED HIM WHAT KIND OF CAMERA HE USED, HE TOLD ME A NIKON D5200... HE SOLD ME ON IT BY 2 SPECIFIC FEATURES IT HAD ON IT, FLIP OUT SCREEN & WIFI.

I SET MY MIND ON GETTING THAT AND WAS ABLE TO GET IT THIS PAST FEBRUARY. I THINK IVE COME A LONG WAY SINCE DAY 1, AND CONSTANTLY IMPROVING. I STILL HAVE A LOT OF LEARNING TO ACCOMPLISH, BUT I DEF ENJOY IT.

*END STORY* LOL!

Dope dude. Did you read any books or websites that deal with photography?

I really can't find it in me to comb through this thread for all the nuggets.

NOPE.

JUST GOT THE CAMERA, SHOT A FEW PICS ON "AUTO".... THEY WERENT GOOD ENOUGH. I THREW IT IN "MANUAL" MODE AND JUST TAUGHT MYSELF THE SETTINGS AND THE REST WAS HISTORY.

http://photography-on-the.net/forum/showthread.php?t=414088

I still consider myself an amateur, but when I started out I read the first post in the thread I linked to above. I found it pretty helpful. If I were you I'd read up on the Exposure Triangle and then just go out and play around with the settings on my camera. No substitute for experience. 

Those flashes are awesome. I trigger them with the 560tx. Being able to adjust flash from the cam is awesome. Paired with this bad boy I own the sun at high noon.

What's the difference between the flash I posted and that one? I don't fully understand transmitters and receivers and when they're needed. I have a t3i, so I believe it has a built in transmitter? I guess I would need to know the definition of receiver? I thought a receiver was being able to receive a signal to fire a flash on an external flash? Some flashes don't have receivers?

Amazon product ASIN B004LEAYXY
This was the flash I was looking at. As well, he was able to use it without a transmitter/receiver so would that mean this flash has a receiver built in?

Last edited:
^^^^Honestly I am no pro at flashes. I would imagine a lot just has to do with the manual controls and what not. I think for the most part, a lot of flashes break through time. I think the generic ones just have more of a breaking point then say a Nikon or Canon. I just know the one I posted rivals Canon and Nikon's flashes to a degree. It's been suggested by a lot of photographers. The one you posted I have no clue but from the reviews, I don't see why you just won't buy it to test it out.

And yes, some flashes don't have built in receivers. So'd you'd have to mount a flash on top of one to make it work externally from your camera like below.

T2J_show2.jpg

A lot of cameras have built in ones now which just makes it easier for not carrying equipment but people still choose to get receivers cause a lot of them have different ranges and ways to shoot each flash depending on how many you have. It really just depends on what you are trying to shoot. I have two flashes and have only used them so much and even yet to even take them outside. I've only shot them indoors and even two is just not enough to cover shadows on walls. I'd say just invest in one and see if you like it or not or even need triggers. Shoot off flash is definitely different than when it's mounted on the camera. There is just a lot more set up with it all.

faq-remoteflash-bts.jpg

What's the difference between the flash I posted and that one? I don't fully understand transmitters and receivers and when they're needed. I have a t3i, so I believe it has a built in transmitter? I guess I would need to know the definition of receiver? I thought a receiver was being able to receive a signal to fire a flash on an external flash? Some flashes don't have receivers?

Amazon product ASIN B004LEAYXY
This was the flash I was looking at. As well, he was able to use it without a transmitter/receiver so would that mean this flash has a receiver built in?

Sorry not familiar with the neewer flash. It was most likely in slave mode and was triggered by the cameras built in flash in commander mode. Your t3i also has the commander mode feature. The Yongnuo 560iii can be set as a slave or triggered remotely. Personally I would pickup the Yongnuo 560iii with trigger. You get more range and reliability using the remote vs the on camera flash trigger. Specially outdoors in the sun.

Okay, you did help me understand a bit but I still need some clarification. So an external flash can operate in two different modes. On the hotshoe of the camera, and off. To operate with the external flash off the hotshoe, you can have it in slave mode. Slave mode from what I understand is that the flash can only go off if a master flash goes off first, to set it off, which would explain why it would be difficult to use in the outdoors due to sunlight. This whole time I thought transmitters/receivers and master/slave were the same thing sort of. I thought the t3i had a transmitter from the built in flash that would send a signal to an external flash, a slave, and then it would fire. In a sense, that is what happened but instead of being a transmitter, the built in flash was just the master and the external flash was reacting as a slave? I'm unsure if I'm being clear at all.

So what is commander mode on a t3i actually? Just master capability?

As well, from my understanding, a transmitter connects onto the hotshoe of the camera and then a receiver attaches to the external flash. Taking a guess on how it works, is it 'tricking' the external flash into thinking it is on the hotshoe of the camera? That way, it fires as if it were mounted normally, as opposed to being in slave mode, looking for a master flash (on camera flash) to fire?

Last edited:
Not sure if this answers your question but

The EOS 7D and 60D were the first Canon SLRs to support wireless flash control using the built-in flash, and the Canon T3i follows suit. That is, the T3i's built-in flash can act as a controller or commander to one or more remote wireless flashes. You can have the built-in flash contribute to the exposure, or just command the remote flashes. Like that of the 60D, the Canon T3i's wireless flash capability supports four channels and defines two groups (the 7D defines three groups). Exposure compensation and flash ratio of 1:8 to 8:1 can be set on a per-group bases, allowing a lot of control over how multiples flashes contribute to the final exposure. Additionally, there's an Easy Wireless Flash mode, which simply fixes the flash strobes to all operate as one group with a 1:1 flash ratio.

I think the externals read that the built in flash is going off, thus going off themselves.

But if you want to operate externals without using the built in flash, you need a transmitter/receiver.

But I'm not sure why it doesn't mention the T2i having this ability. I distinctly remember just trying it out and I was able to use my built in flash to activate my external.

Okay, you did help me understand a bit but I still need some clarification. So an external flash can operate in two different modes. On the hotshoe of the camera, and off. To operate with the external flash off the hotshoe, you can have it in slave mode. Slave mode from what I understand is that the flash can only go off if a master flash goes off first, to set it off, which would explain why it would be difficult to use in the outdoors due to sunlight. This whole time I thought transmitters/receivers and master/slave were the same thing sort of. I thought the t3i had a transmitter from the built in flash that would send a signal to an external flash, a slave, and then it would fire. In a sense, that is what happened but instead of being a transmitter, the built in flash was just the master and the external flash was reacting as a slave? I'm unsure if I'm being clear at all.

So what is commander mode on a t3i actually? Just master capability?

As well, from my understanding, a transmitter connects onto the hotshoe of the camera and then a receiver attaches to the external flash. Taking a guess on how it works, is it 'tricking' the external flash into thinking it is on the hotshoe of the camera? That way, it fires as if it were mounted normally, as opposed to being in slave mode, looking for a master flash (on camera flash) to fire?

You got it bro. Commander mode shoots a low power flash vs normal mode so the pop up flash doesn't effect your exposure.

Last edited:
Hm, okay. I think I'm getting it. I said that I wanted to set up a small photobooth area. This was basically how I wanted the lights to be. One behind the subject pointed to the background, and two on the sides. As well, I wanted to use a flash on the camera itself also. I suppose the problem for me though is that I have a 430 ex ii. It does not have master capabilities, so I will not be able to use it mounted on the camera.

I assume the image below, for flash (A), they would be using a 580 ex ii set as a master and firing to the slaves B, C, and D.

Since I do not have a master capable flash, I have two options correct?
Option one: Use the built in pop up flash as the master to set off the slaves.
Option two: Buy a transmitter and three receivers?

If I do option two, I can't mount a flash on the hotshoe of the camera because the transmitter is in the way, correct?

Is there a possible outcome that a flash can be mounted on the camera (Besides spending $200 on a master capable flash)?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom