The Official Photography Thread - Vol. 3

I love the 55mm Zeiss on my a7ii but as my only lens I feel slighted. I used to only have the 50L on my old 5D and it sufficed for a long *** time. Am I just missing something or have my styles changed. I shoot nearly everything and every style fwiw. I'm leaning towards going wider rn

W'sup ya'll. So reporting back on my first wedding Saturday - what an experience!

So turns out the guy I was shooting with also had a family event at the same venue that night. He stuck around for the ceremony and for pics of the wedding party, but come reception time, he let me rock and do my thing. The only problem, I've never shot with a flash before! All in all, I learned a lot of valuable information that night, and was able to figure out how to work with the flash. Loved every minute of it but damn that was draining. Definitely looking forward to the next one!

Don't want to spam the thread, so here are a few... appreciate the feedback.

joshandamber1
by Mister Incredible, on Flickr

joshandamber3

joshandamber4

joshandamber6

Those are great. I'm shooting my SILs wedding this weekend and I'm not really looking forward to it. I'm a landscape guy really...

Got a new external flash that looks cool - my old one doesn't work with my new camera but this Neewer one works well for the few shots I've taken just trying it out.

I was intending just leaving the flash on auto and letting it work things out - I don't think I'll have time to experiment much as people will obviously be moving.

What was your technique?

hey all. just wanted to check in and get some insight. will be visiting london in a couple of days but was having a hard time using the search function within the new layout to locate previous posts. can anyone recommend any must-shoot, must-do, must-see/eat stuff while visiting? figured this thread might be a good place to ask as we tend to have similar interests. thanks!

Any recommendations on photography bags guys?

I'm torn between getting a full on photography bag vs part camera bag part regular backpack.

Having my laptop with me would be pretty ideal.

Here's a few I'm looking at. The first bag is $56 while the rest are about $70

61oLVHlGwEL._SL1048_.jpg

611R3wX6trL._SL1024_.jpg

71jXA4ZuJSL._SL1300_.jpg

71YsRLPrc1L._SL1200_.jpg

81wonwEq9gL._SL1500_.jpg

81mczsEpqOL._SL1500_.jpg

I have a Sony a6000, looking to get a 35mm to compliment my 50mm, but don't want to go to crazy on the spending. Whats a good - cheap 35mm? I read up on the Meinke *sp but not sure if there is something better.

Catching up with some old friends last night and took a trip to the summer camp I used to work at (20 years ago!). Took a couple of shots - this is the lake where my now-wife was the camp lifeguard.

And on the way home passed this barn/fence combo which I liked.

I'm torn between getting a full on photography bag vs part camera bag part regular backpack.

81wonwEq9gL._SL1500_.jpg

I have a bag almost exactly like this and I really like it. I used to have a smaller one and ended up leaving things behind because it couldn't all fit - this type works for me as it will comfortably take my camera, 3 lenses, filters, flash, tripod on the side, other little accessories in the pockets...

I just know if I pick it up I've got everything I need for a day out. There's a little extra room for things like an ipad too - but not much more than that. I do like the idea of a bag that would take other stuff as well - but I think that's too limited in space as you can really only get a camera and maybe a spare lens too.

Like I said though my favorite part of it is that it's my storage unit for all my camera gear - it doesn't get left behind because it lives in the bag.

I am very pro Incase. Never really had an issue with their bags but specific bags work better than others. Depending on your size, this could be a great bag but can be big on smaller people. Functionally it works great. I like how it zips in the back and not the front cause when you put your bag down, you are not placing the inside on say dirt so when you put your bag on, you won't get your clothes stained. Also this just has it all as far as pockets, laptop, tripod, etc. Whenever I travel, this is what I carry. I would think the only down side is it's a little "meh" in the design factor. No one is going to compliment you on the look but that could be a good thing since you are hauling tons of gear.

https://www.incase.com/products/camera/dslr/dslr-pro-pack

incase-dslr-camera-bagcl58068_1.jpg

I like this Protactic as well.

http://store.lowepro.com/shop/prota...MIieHz16-n1QIVx1x-Ch1HVA79EAQYBiABEgJ1zfD_BwE

ProTactic_450_wear_half.jpg

Yesterday i shot and did my first music cover. A friend is making a project full of bossa nova inspired production the idea was based off an old vinyl record cover. we went to the uc berkely botanical gardens for this. let me know what you think

2epsz5x.png

what the cover was based on

1966-brasil-66-herb-alpert-presents-1.jpg

^ Dope. Maybe some more editing to match the style? Also would've been pretty dope if he dressed up.

I was intending just leaving the flash on auto and letting it work things out - I don't think I'll have time to experiment much as people will obviously be moving.

What was your technique?

I didn't mess with the flash settings either. Pretty much just had it on auto and bounced it off the ceiling for the most part (indoors, blinds closed, lots of soft white light). But what took me a while to realize was that I was shooting in aperture priority and since the camera's meter is exposing the shot without the flash, I was getting real poor results for longer exposures, so it's like I wasn't even using the flash. Finally realized I should switch over to manual and finally started getting the shots I wanted.

61oLVHlGwEL._SL1048_.jpg

611R3wX6trL._SL1024_.jpg

71jXA4ZuJSL._SL1300_.jpg

71YsRLPrc1L._SL1200_.jpg

81wonwEq9gL._SL1500_.jpg

81mczsEpqOL._SL1500_.jpg

also check out brevite. i love my bag. i got it because i was taking photography classes along with regular math, english etc at the community college i go to and i just needed a camera bag in general. photography isn't my job or anything right now so i dont need to haul a lot of gear. just a couple lenses and chargers so its great for me.

this is the bag i have. i have an earlier version of this bag, but its held up for a year and a half now i think lol. i love it. it doesnt scream camera bag so no one is looking to steal it or anything its just overall good for my needs. i didnt think it was a little pricey but its what i was looking for and after having it for so long i think the price is worth it.

https://brevite.co/product/modern-student-camera-bag/

also check out brevite. i love my bag. i got it because i was taking photography classes along with regular math, english etc at the community college i go to and i just needed a camera bag in general. photography isn't my job or anything right now so i dont need to haul a lot of gear. just a couple lenses and chargers so its great for me.

this is the bag i have. i have an earlier version of this bag, but its held up for a year and a half now i think lol. i love it. it doesnt scream camera bag so no one is looking to steal it or anything its just overall good for my needs. i didnt think it was a little pricey but its what i was looking for and after having it for so long i think the price is worth it.

https://brevite.co/product/modern-student-camera-bag/

THIS!!

https://brevite.co/product/lightweight-photography-daypack/

I have the Rucksack and it’s great for small gear like my a7. You can remove the pouch and use it as a regular bag. I’ve used it to the beach, park, work etc. It has a lot of small pockets for misc. stuff also. It’s well worth it and holds up in any weather.

Currently on vacay.

Attachments

• IMG_0432.jpg
    IMG_0432.jpg
    376.8 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_0437.jpg
    IMG_0437.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 9
  • IMG_0438.JPG
    IMG_0438.JPG
    390.2 KB · Views: 10
^ why?

I knew someone who worked for The Hundreds and so I got hooked up with this backpack a while ago. Looks like it's discontinued now so can't vouch for the new one, but this one has held up really well. It's nice for travelling if you're just taking the body and a few lenses. Don't expect it to be anything more than what it is and it's perfect IMO. Only problem is it doesn't hold a tripod.

Back
Top Bottom