**The Official Ralph Lauren Polo Thread**

$600 starting bid, with a reserve that seller states is very high, (salt water marks and undone stitching)

Had a discussion about this with someone wanted y'all input.

So supposedly the stuff you buy from factory outlet or tjmaxx is of lesser quality than if you paid full price. BUT when polo, Macy's, Dillard's ,etc. Has a huge sale which quality are you getting then Factory stuff or full priced stuff?

For the record I don't care either way, I just wanted some insight, because I thought it was interesting.

^^ Half true. Some of the items that the discount stores get are defective (think b-grades), then a lot I'd say the majority of the stuff is from past seasons that didn't sell elsewhere. Most times the retailer will even mark the item as irregular etc. if it is defective.

Macy's, dillards, etc. only buy stuff from upcoming & current seasons, which is the top quality stuff. It gets marked down when a new season is coming/ didn't sell well.

Agee with Gamble.

Most of the stuff is just excess inventory that didn't move. Lots of times the big stores like TJ Maxx, etc. buy bulk lots of stuff from brands, or the brands sell to larger distributors and the discount stores by lots form those distributors.

There's probably less than perfect stuff in there, but overall it;s pretty much one to one. Sometimes if you find a one off item at one these places it may have been included in a shipment because it was "irregular" or it may have just been left sitting around an unnoticed previously in a stock. And sometimes, it may just have have been sort of knocked around - bought and returned, or damaged in the store, etc.

Outlets used to sell a lot stuff that was marked as "irregular" as well as other stuff that was the same as normal. It was often tough to even tell the difference between "irregular" and non - but it was usually noted on the tags. I think there's even less of that nowadays as outlets have evolved into more extensions of the brands brick and mortar stores and less of a place to dump inventory that was old or not moving.

I set foot into an outlet for the first time in like 1990 or 91 or so. And, I remember heads asking me how I was rocking designer brands and stuff and I'd tell them and a lot of cats literally had no idea that outlets even existed, and were in disbelief when they found out. Of course, just getting out to a place like that if you're like 13 and in the city and don't have a car in the fam was a mission unto itself. I would go a few times a year and my friends would fight over the extra spots in my grandmother's car. Dudes would sometimes just give me their birthday money and be like, yo, I trust your judgment, cop me as much Hilfiger and Polo as you can get me for the $200 or whatever.

Think about that in comparison to what the outlets are like today and have been like for the last 15 or so years.

I bet a lot of the older heads in this thread from NYC can give you a break down of when new stores popped up in places like Woodbury. It was a bonanza when North Face opened in like 96 or so. '97 or '98 the Iceberg/Laundry store opened - it was like a continuous expansion of things.

And, I've discussed this many times with Jay, Middy, Krash, etc., but the discount stores were a whole other oyster. Mad heads who were about being fresh really looked down on shopping in those places - like they felt embarrassed to shop at Filenes, Burlington, Syms, etc. But, the joke was on them because there were gems on top of gems at those places - Cycle b-downs, Javelin polos.. all kinds of stuff at absurd prices. And, if you were able to get to locations of those stores even further from the city - suburbs of Jersey, deeper Long Island, etc. there was very little competition to find stuff. (Lots of racking went on there too, just like how graff cats would make trips out of town to rack trunks full of paint - though I was a pretty bad shoplifter myself).

But, you have to think, this is around the same time when '94 Retro Jordan 1, 2, and 3s would be sitting in boxes piled on the floor at Dr. Jays, Foot Locker, etc. with 29.99 signs.

The items found in maxx & marshalls are a mix of closeouts and production pieces. Marshalls & maxx have an exclusive deal with Ralph to buy all of the closeouts no matter what it is (that's why you see purple label and black label in the stores) in order to be able to have Ralph do production pieces for them. This is the same reason why you don't see as much closeouts in other discount stores.

Now for the factory stores they used to have a ton of closeouts but they figured that they could stock the factory stores with production pieces and consumers would still buy thinking they were getting a deal. The are still small amounts of closeouts in the factory stores and they are usually located on the rounders towards the back of the store.

Overall the best deals on the better quality items can be found in dept stores during their seasonal change over sales. They would rather sell that stuff than do an RTV (return to vendor).

Great thoughts on the outlet stores BIP. :smokin
I fogot what a mission that it was to get to the outlet stores early 90s when they moved into my area. And the Outlets were exactly that...out of the way, which meant long drives and maybe two visits per year: What we now call Black Friday and for the Back to School sales.

Macy's sale is solid. Against my own views on it, I picked up the Chief Logo Chambray for $25. I also grabbed the custom fit Serape Polo at $23.

nice big ponys... i got a couple polos, some trunks, cargo shorts, and a sweater for sale if any one is interestred the pictures are in my signature

Last edited:
Those are nice Polo Sport.
smokin.gif

I'll let my buyer know to keep her eyes open for another one.
good looks SMB.
BEWARE OF clientelekid11 on Ebay. Dude sold me the FAKEST polo shirts. I'm going through a dispute right now.
that user name sounds familiar, can you post the link of what you bought?
Yep, just saw the fleece shorts to match that hoody in macys. It should be real soon.

And just a heads up, got these for $30 each with a $20 off $50 coupon at macys. Sale is today and tomorrow only.

nice Math, i like that salmon colored one, i'll check em later.

The items found in maxx & marshalls are a mix of closeouts and production pieces. Marshalls & maxx have an exclusive deal with Ralph to buy all of the closeouts no matter what it is (that's why you see purple label and black label in the stores) in order to be able to have Ralph do production pieces for them. This is the same reason why you don't see as much closeouts in other discount stores.

Now for the factory stores they used to have a ton of closeouts but they figured that they could stock the factory stores with production pieces and consumers would still buy thinking they were getting a deal. The are still small amounts of closeouts in the factory stores and they are usually located on the rounders towards the back of the store.

Overall the best deals on the better quality items can be found in dept stores during their seasonal change over sales. They would rather sell that stuff than do an RTV (return to vendor).

The FSR items you find are specifically made for both factory and off price retailers. 95% of the product you see in Outlets are strictly made for the factory stores which are slightly lower grade in terms of construction and fabric. Collection items are basically items they couldn't sell in B&M RL stores. As an off price retailer (maxx & marshalls), the collection pieces are basically a crap shoot of what you'll actually get b/c they're usually sold in bulk crates/palates at a massive discount so they won't necessarily know what sizes they'll get, what colors, etc, just mainly know that it's basically 'X' style/silhouette and the unit amount. I believe the LRL suits are licensed so they don't even come from RL.

In terms of doing an RTV you're wrong. As a retailer, RTV's are one of the best ways to relieve aged/stale inventory. By returning stale inventory back to RL, you essentially get your money back and relieve yourself of the liability of having to mark the item down which reduces your margins. Majority of the time retailers bake discount sales into their seasonal merchandise plans or they'll try and get markdown dollars from vendors such as RL per say to fund the sale. Selling anything below cost for a retailer is a horrible decision hence RTV and/or swaps for better selling product is a better choice.

Retailers such as bloomingdales, lord & taylor, ext are keeping their older inventories rather than doing an RTV and sending it their own outlet stores.

Grabbed this joint today!
The price too love to pass up! :smokin

I'm waiting for this joint to go
On sale + hella markdown...

These jackets are pretty cool, very Rugby, but did they sell every size except medium already!! Sheesh

What sale starts the 15th?

And also when do they start putting up F/W? I need a navy and it olive quilted jacket this fall

Watches been up on the site for a while unless you're speaking specifically those pieces. Still plotting on that RL67 chronometer. Copped a few more pieces from Macy's today on that 1 day sale. Gonna get the rest of what i need to scoop next month . Saw the fall stuff in there. Gonna be a costly season. Many items looked good in person

What sale starts the 15th?

And also when do they start putting up F/W? I need a navy and it olive quilted jacket this fall

There's another sale coming the 15th? :nerd:

Gonna have to cop everything I want from the site, checked my macys and the stuff I want never even made it to our fulfillment center :smh:

Chicago, the watches are nice but no way am I spending that much when I can grab a solid gold vintage timepiece for a fraction of the cost.
Do you know who is making the RL watches, I'm curious.

The July 15th sale is the RL Summer Sale. I think it will be up to 40% off discounted prices.
I still don't think that RL will even come close to todays Macy's one day sale prices with the stacker coupon.

Frank, the camp Polo from the Macy's sale is nice.
Champ, the price on that fleece is going to make it hard for many to pass on. Nice pick up.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom