The Official Reebok Question (A.I.) Thread.

$100 for Question lows at the Reebok outlets ?  nah i'm good.  Glad I copped the red toe lows for $60 from Finishline.com last summer.   I want those black toe lows, but not paying $100

I need these, I love the croc/snake scales
devil.gif

you tripping they had me at RED
laugh.gif

that OG pr that you saw, was the toe shiny?
They had an all red pair a year or two a go and no one cared about it. 
I didn't find the canvas for the price I wanted, the stash wasn't all red and neither were the practices that I just passed on ebay after seeing these, and even if no one else cares, I care for all the reasons stated already
laugh.gif

that OG pr that you saw, was the toe shiny?
Yes shinny toe like black patent leather. Rest of the shoe has black leather upper and gold trim. They aren't fakes because the store sells legit. The overall quality on this particular pair is like JB. I was really disappointed.

I'll have to go check out the new Question releases once I come across them at another store.
the shiny toe started with the '06 release, the og has no shine on the toe on the '96 pr

I don't mean to correct you just trying to keep "OG" as being OG and not confused with the later prs, though I prefer the patent leather pr myself

Finally got my pair from sheik. I already knew about the quality problems that everybody else was talking about and how the toes are not even pearlized. On my pair not only are the toes not even pearlized but there's also some sort of pointed peak on top of both the toe boxes. What the heck is this crap?

Maybe I'm just sounding like a quality snob, but I just expected more. On the left shoe it almost feels like part of the leather on the toe is even already wearing or had been scuffed.

Last edited:
Finally got my pair from sheik. I already knew about the quality problems that everybody else was talking about and how the toes are not even pearlized. On my pair not only are the toes not even pearlized but there's also some sort of pointed peak on top of both the toe boxes. What the heck is this crap?

Maybe I'm just sounding like a quality snob, but I just expected more. On the left shoe it almost feels like part of the leather on the toe is even already wearing or had been scuffed.

You have every reason to be mad.. I bought a pair of the recently released Aqua 8's and they had better quality than this suprisingly

You have every reason to be mad.. I bought a pair of the recently released Aqua 8's and they had better quality than this suprisingly

In Reebok's defense how much did you pay for the 'Aqua' VIIIs and what is your definition of quality? Are JB using the OG quality Nubuck/Durabuck and a thick sockliner vs. the cardboard thin sockliner they've been running since '08? I've heard that JB has increased overall build quality (along with raising prices) but are their recent offerings on par with their '99-'03 retros? If not that first wave, how about some of the '04-'07 JB retros?

I've been thinning my collection and I had a chance to look at my '12 'Red Toe' Questions and some of the defects pointed out with this '16 retro were present on it too so I have to take back some of my earlier posts in this thread. The 'Vis Hex' has crappy 'paint' on one of the pods and the shape is slightly different from my 'Player Only' LBJ Questions. That said the thick sockliner and equally thick full grain leather is a rarity amid the sea of plastic and mesh that is being touted as 'premium' these days.

Questions on discount are a great pickup regardless of construction build.

Many years ago I remember reading on a Hong Kong magazine (can't recall which one, most likely Next Magazine) investigative article, it was reported that Adidas/Reebok and Nike apparently do share at least one huge Chinese manufacturer in Shenzhen just across the border of HK. The production lines for the different brands are segregated into different buildings, and workers on the different lines are forbidden from entering into each other's buildings.

So I'm not surprised if there is a correlation in QC with these brands as they are probably just using the same contractors.

Back in the day when I was a kid most athletic shoes were all made in Pusan, Korea regardless of brand. The craftsmanship was better overall but far from perfect like most people these days would have you believe. One time my mom bought me a pair of green/white AXT Hexalite Pumps in early '91 and she made FTL pull out 3 pairs of the same shoes to choose from lol!

Last edited:
Many years ago I remember reading on a Hong Kong magazine (can't recall which one, most likely Next Magazine) investigative article, it was reported that Adidas/Reebok and Nike apparently do share at least one huge Chinese manufacturer in Shenzhen just across the border of HK. The production lines for the different brands are segregated into different buildings, and workers on the different lines are forbidden from entering into each other's buildings.

So I'm not surprised if there is a correlation in QC with these brands as they are probably just using the same contractors.

Back in the day when I was a kid most athletic shoes were all made in Pusan, Korea regardless of brand. The craftsmanship was better overall but far from perfect like most people these days would have you believe. One time my mom bought me a pair of green/white AXT Hexalite Pumps in early '91 and she made FTL pull out 3 pairs of the same shoes to choose from lol!

This is 1000% true - and it also explains why Adidas/Reebok & Nike/JB have damn near the same, identical materials just with different branding. From a pure manufacturing point of view this allows for a very efficient production line but it stifles innovation and creativity as the design teams are forced to work with what's cheap and available on the production line.

sucks the quality wasn't that good on these. I hate to see people disappointed.

Last edited:
This is 1000% true - and it also explains why Adidas/Reebok & Nike/JB have damn near the same, identical materials just with different branding. From a pure manufacturing point of view this allows for a very efficient production line but it stifles innovation and creativity as the design teams are forced to work with what's cheap and available on the production line.
Yep. This also how the material transfer from Nike to Reebok to Adidas have either had dryfit material on the NBA jerseys until Adidas did the Climacool thing. I'm curious to see what Nike does with the NBA jerseys after the season is over.

For any one interested low top questions in white/black and white/blue it's buy one get some 60% off at Rehoboth Beach, DE Reebok store. They are 99.99

Shoutout to the code my main man @John00 posted a while back. Got mine in. Happy to have these red toe joints in the collection finally. That being said....

I was very disappointed in the quality.

Im not sure what I expected but the stitching on my pair doesn't look great especially on the heel and the midsole basically came pre-scuffed. Already corrected that with a magic eraser. Few other little things I can live with and won't return, but I had hoped for better.

In Reebok's defense how much did you pay for the 'Aqua' VIIIs and what is your definition of quality? Are JB using the OG quality Nubuck/Durabuck and a thick sockliner vs. the cardboard thin sockliner they've been running since '08? I've heard that JB has increased overall build quality (along with raising prices) but are their recent offerings on par with their '99-'03 retros? If not that first wave, how about some of the '04-'07 JB retros?

I've been thinning my collection and I had a chance to look at my '12 'Red Toe' Questions and some of the defects pointed out with this '16 retro were present on it too so I have to take back some of my earlier posts in this thread. The 'Vis Hex' has crappy 'paint' on one of the pods and the shape is slightly different from my 'Player Only' LBJ Questions. That said the thick sockliner and equally thick full grain leather is a rarity amid the sea of plastic and mesh that is being touted as 'premium' these days.

Questions on discount are a great pickup regardless of construction build.

Oh I absolutely agree with you that for a discount these questions are a great pick up. And my definition of quality on a retail pair is based on how cheaply made they look and feel. I paid I think 200ish for the 8's and they had none of the usual defects you'd expect Jordans to have like glue stains, markings, creases etc. so that is a step up from the quality of the offerings from some of the recent pairs before the whole "remastered" phase. I'm also not entirely sure about the sock liner either, so I'll have to get back to you on that but in general, they truly are a good, quality pair of shoes but nothing compared to some of the early 2000's retros. I bought my 2003 White Cements around a year and a half ago DS and after 12 years they still held up and the leather felt great so these 8's compared to the 3's in quality aren't terribly far off. But my point being, I'm used to Nike/JB producing bad quality shoes so to see Reeboks quality go down, especially for the 20th Anniversary of the Question vs JB going up is disappointing and good for each side. And realistically, I'm probably being a little to knit picky because Reebok usually does good by it's fans so I'm sure it'll make up for it in the near future.

Just accept it or move on, that today's leather based retros, no matter the brand, will never be as good as the originals without costing a lot of cash. I will still buy AIs, but not for retail. JB fans are kidding themselves if they think retro leather is as good as the original. Whatever makes them feel better for paying those ridiculous prices. Retro crap leather is thinner, usually painted (not dyed), and will likely dry rot in the bottom of some kid's closet.

So, I want all the question lows, and I won't care if the fake suede bleeds if I can get them cheap enough. Reebok outlets around LA never have Iversons. Lame.

Last edited:
Just accept it or move on, that today's leather based retros, no matter the brand, will never be as good as the originals without costing a lot of cash. I will still buy AIs, but not for retail. JB fans are kidding themselves if they think retro leather is as good as the original. Whatever makes them feel better for paying those ridiculous prices. Retro crap leather is thinner, usually painted (not dyed), and will likely dry rot in the bottom of some kid's closet.

So, I want all the question lows, and I won't care if the fake suede bleeds if I can get them cheap enough. Reebok outlets around LA never have Iversons. Lame.
don't think I've ever seen anyone say the current leather is better than the ogs. don't know where you got that at. Unless it's an assumption cuz people are buying them still

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom