The Official Tennis Thread (Vol. 2024 Oz Open Nadal Out)

Vika vs Sloane in the first round.
eek.gif
laugh.gif

The winner plays Woz or Taylor Townsend in round 2...

For the men, Nole. Fed's my second choice, but the bottom half of the draw is pretty stacked.

For the women... I don't know. I think pretty much anyone in the top 8 has a legit shot, though. I kinda have the feeling that someone unexpected might win, whether it be someone winning Grand Slam #1 or a player winning a GS for first time in a while.

This is the first time in a long time that we have a complete toss up in both the men's and women's fields. On the Men's side, I can see Stan doing really well but I never count out Rafa no matter his form. On the women's side, Sharapova has looked good this year and her draw fits really well. I can see her winning but only if she doesn't have to play Serena. Venus and Woz can make deep runs based on their form. Aga looks sharp but I don't think she has grand slam winning power. I don't want to count out Vika, who is in my opinion the best female hard court player on tour, but her draw is brutal. Last but certainly not least we have Serena. She hasn't looked sharp this year and her draw is very tough, but if she plays anywhere close to how she did at the U.S Open or at the Tour Championship, she has an excellent shot. The only thing that concerns me with Serena at this age is that as she has gotten older her mental strength has waned slightly. Physically she is the best she's ever been but her mental strength is nowhere near where it was.

I'd like to see Raonic or Grigor seize the moment and make deep runs on the men's side.

Anyone like Stosur or Garbine on the women's side?

Stosur is never winning another Grand Slam. She caught Serena on a bad day and that will be her claim to fame for the rest of her career.

On the women's side, Sharapova has looked good this year and her draw fits really well. I can see her winning but only if she doesn't have to play Serena. Venus and Woz can make deep runs based on their form. Aga looks sharp but I don't think she has grand slam winning power. I don't want to count out Vika, who is in my opinion the best female hard court player on tour, but her draw is brutal. Last but certainly not least we have Serena. She hasn't looked sharp this year and her draw is very tough, but if she plays anywhere close to how she did at the U.S Open or at the Tour Championship, she has an excellent shot. The only thing that concerns me with Serena at this age is that as she has gotten older her mental strength has waned slightly. Physically she is the best she's ever been but her mental strength is nowhere near where it was.
I agree with pretty much everything said here. After losing to both Genie and Radwanska (and receiving a bagel against Pennetta) this year, I really don't feel confident about Serena leaving Australia with #19 or her World No. 1 ranking. Still, you can never really count her out. I think Aga will be a player to watch out for this season with Navratilova on her side. The victory at the Hopman Cup shows that the pairing has already paid off.

Last edited:
It's been a long sports day. Didn't even know the AO started.

Right now they're showing this women's match on the smallest court i've seen at a tournament. The crowd seating is small as hell.

Last edited:
Great match going on right now for the young Aussie Kokkinakis. Saved like 4 match points in the 4th and now a real battle in the 5th.

Welp, Kokkinakis gets the upset over Gulbis. 18 double faults by the 11th seed. At least he's not alone... 
sick.gif

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom