The Old PlayStation Thread | *NEW THREAD IS UP*

Heavy Rain is probably the most intense games I've ever played. There are around 10 different ending scenarios as well.

Never understood the hype KH gets. 1 and 2 were trash.
tumblr_nesxmkxM4v1ttma2yo1_250.gif

Last guardian, shenmue 3 and FF7 remake. Last time I was this hyped was when I played GTAIII for the first time.

CoD however is fading fast, I was hoping treyarch wouldn't be dumb enough to fix something that wasn't broke. As much as I ripped ghost it was the last normal CoD. The prices for CoD games from last gen are going to skyrocket in the next year or two with people looking for classic fps's.

Via Gematsu

Sony Partners With Ys Net to Create Shenmue III
View media item 1585756
Yesterday, Shenmue III made the headlines after creator Yu Suzuki launched a Kickstarter for it following its reveal at Sony’s E3 press conference. The Kickstarter took off, gaining the required $2 million in under a day, and now Sony has come out to say that they are partnering with Ys Net and Yu Suzuki to create Shenmue III.

During the official PlayStation E3 livestream today, SCE Third Party Productions Director Gio Corsi announced that the Kickstarter was a way to judge interest in the game. Sony thought that “if the fans come in and back it, then absolutely, we’re going to make this a reality.” And since the fans very clearly did back it, Corsi said that “Sony and PlayStation are definitely a partner in this game.”

First off, Shenmue III was the number one ask on the whole #BuildingTheList campaign, so when that first started, right off the bat, ‘Shenmue III, Shenmue III, Shenmue III.’ So this has been an ask for as long as I’ve been at PlayStation. And we met with Suzuki-san at GDC last year and we started the long road to try and figure out how we were going to get this whole thing made.

We said, ‘the only way this is going to happen is if fans speak up,’ and we thought Kickstarter was the perfect place to do this. So we set a goal for $2 million and if the fans come in and back it, then absolutely, we’re going to make this a reality. So, Sony and PlayStation are definitely a partner in this game, and it’s going to be run through Third Party Productions with Ys Net. We’re going to get the game done. We’re going to be partners the whole way, and we’re really excited to see this thing come out in a couple of years.
There it is, the official confirmation.

Someone on Kotaku wrote this and after reading it I'm fine with shift in getting older games made :smokin:

OtakuMan24>Patrick Klepek
6/16/15 7:42pm
Bear this in mind.

Shenmue, the first game, once held the record for most expensive video game production ever, clocking in at costing $70 million to produce, and as Forbes points out, adjust for inflation, and that comes to $99 million in modern dollars.

This is a game series that had Triple A funding from Sega and while it was critically acclaimed, the sales did not mesh up for spending that kind of money. Apparently the same applies to Shenmue 2.

So when you spend more making the game than you would in receiving a profit from the game, even if the game is a creative work of art and story telling, the problem remains that few publishers or investors are going to shell out the kind of cash to make Shenmue 3 unless they can get some idea on whether or not it will actually sell.

That’s where Kickstarter comes in.

The same model was used by the Veronica Mars movie and Warner Bros. The WB would handle costs for marketing & other things if the Kickstarter hit its goal. Since that was a movie versus a full blown game, WB only chipped in partially to the expense at the time.

But this is where we start seeing risky IPs, the game franchises that may or may not do well sales wise but which are highly requested by a loyal fanbase, get a chance at life. Before, the answer was simply, “No”, and no game or movie was made. You were shut down, out of luck, zippo. This model, however, gives the investors/publishers a chance to see if something like this is worth making.

I imagine someone at Sony asking someone in their accounting department to estimate the cost to make Shenmue 3 and the sales it would likely generate. If the accountant projects that the end result will create a loss of $2 million, then that leaves the higher ups with a dilemma. They WANT to please the fans and keep their customers happy by providing them with what they clearly want, but also want to make sure they don’t lose money in the process. With Kickstarter, the publisher/investor can go, “Okay, I’ll foot $48 million towards your budget if you can raise $2,000,000 on Kickstarter.”

The Kickstarter is launched, the response is overwhelming, and the execs go, “Well okay then.”

If the accountant was right in their estimate of what the loss would be was correct, then the $2,000,000 basically covers that and the publisher/investor breaks even while also having a nice game to play that would not have otherwise existed. If the accountant was wrong and the game sells BETTER, then an executive can smile and be glad that the estimates were wrong as it turns a profit.

“But wait a minute” you say, “How does that add up? Everyone who would have bought the game anyway on release are pledging the money now, so who’s going to buy it when it comes out?” The catch is that with the Kickstarter, people are paying SEVERAL TIMES MORE than the actual retail cost of the game. Already, 4 people have pledged $10,000 each to see this game get made. 3 of them get a personal dinner with Yu Suzuki and get a boatload of other goodies, while 1 of them gets one VERY legendary goody: an iconic leather jacket which is considered THE jacket of the Shenmue series as a whole. So these 4 people, instead of paying $60 each for a copy of the game, totaling $240 in revenue (roughly), are now paying $10,000 each generating $40,000 in revenue.

What’s more, those 4 people are perfectly happy to be spending that much money because they are that passionate about the product which they have hoped to see for a long, long time. For them, they would gladly chip in all that cash if it meant seeing this game get made. If you asked them if it was worth it, then there’s a 99.99% chance they’re going to say, “Totally worth it!”

There’s always the catch that something could go wrong, but given the backing of Sony and their deep pockets, combined with the ability to recruit notable developers to create the game, with Yu Suzuki at the helm, this leads to the odds of this game getting made (and being good) even greater which I’m sure is what also helped many decide to pledge as well.

So from a consumer’s stand point, I can see why they would do this, and given that it leads to a creation that might otherwise never get made, I really can’t complain. Granted, OTHER developers who don’t have such nice cushy backing from outside investors for their Kickstarters might feel pretty resentful and angry, but that’s a discussion for another time.

Last edited:
I been watching a lot of Street Fighter V videos and I am very impressed. I assume the parry system is what allows you to chain your combos together and then go into supers? After watching it more, I can see the differences between SF V and IV. I just need that Ken confirmation now.

I think I might invest in a fight stick too.

I been watching a lot of Street Fighter V videos and I am very impressed. I assume the parry system is what allows you to chain your combos together and then go into supers? After watching it more, I can see the differences between SF V and IV. I just need that Ken confirmation now.

I think I might invest in a fight stick too.

Only Ryu has a parry but yea, i'm loving it. The team tournament was hyped yesterday.

Uncharted 4 Co-Directors Detail The Fully Drivable Jeep, Talk Tech and Much More

GIFbd416.gif

During a livestream from E3, Uncharted 4: A Thief’s End co-directors Neil Druckmann and Bruce Straley gave more details on the fantastic gameplay demo that impressed everyone yesterday evening.

• Here are a few interesting points that were made:
  • The demo we saw yesterday is half of a much longer demo, which is actually part of the game.
  • The jeep is a whole new mechanic for uncharted. It’s completely drivable.
  • You can drive anywhere you want. The only barriers are the obstacles around you, buildings, cliffs and more, but some obstacles can be destroyed.
  • Naughty Dog wanted to make the jeep as flexible as possible.
  • The jeep has a lot of impact on the environment, and that’s to improve immersion and interaction with the environment around the player.
  • There are parts in the game where you can explore with the jeep, slow down and get in and out of the vehicle freely.
  • Having the jeep moving this fast means having to create a lot of assets, but they aren’t all the same. There isn’t just one type of grass for instance, as Naughty Dog wants you to feel like you’re transitioning as the setpiece unfolds. It’s a lot of work.
  • The Jeep is an “uncharted vehicle,” meaning that it’s built for adventure. It can go over mud, it can slip and slide, it can go over boulders, it can go up at crazy angles and take jumps. It’s very versatile.
  • Characters are getting older, so the graphical style is slightly more realistic than in the previous games. It’s still stylized, but you’re gonna see more wrinkles
  • The game uses a new tech to simulates the way skin moves over bones to add another layer of fidelity.
  • There are situations in which you can combine the jeep and Drake’s new rope.
  • There’s a lot of diversity in the ways you can approach it.
  • It includes elements learned from The Last of Us, like melee in which your buddy helps you, or times in which you have to help him.
  • The story will involve conflict between the characters.
  • Naughty Dog worked on the demo for months, and it “really came together” in the last few weeks.
  • Naughty Dog focused on making sure that the demo focuses on core mechanics.
  • After seeing the demo completed Bruce Straley feels very confident on where the game is going. The demo is a benchmark for the game.

Last edited:
Uncharted 4 :smh: I can not wait, getting and betting the all 3 games when it comes out this fall as well.

Horizon zero dawn looks good but gorilla can't be trusted b. Killzone 1 :smh: killzone 2 :nthat: killzone 3 meehhh

Shadow Fall is amazing graphics wise, the rest was weak.

Hopefully they deliver with Horizon. The trailer was shot in-engine, no CGI according to the tech director.

It will be single player, weather systems, day/night cycle.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom