The Penn State Child-Sex Abuse Scandal Thread...Hammer dropped on PSU...sanctions galore.

http://www.collegian.psu.edu/

Please read the timeline and click on the different events. Some crazy info is shared.

Dude gave a victim $50 to buy weed and smoke it in his car. In another incident, Sandusky was caught by the janitor pinning a boy up against the wall and performing oral sex.

Originally Posted by Big J 33

I thought it was a joke when I saw it..
6a00d8341c630a53ef015392df38c3970b-320wi
indifferent.gif

I hope this #%!% gets Touched in prison every day.

Originally Posted by af1 1982

I've been asking myself the same questions ever since I was old enough to follow football. Then I stepped foot on campus last year and I just knew. He is a god here. More important than president spanier, more important that any alum. Like words literally cannot describe how big that man is to this university. Every single day you will run into something that has to do with him. They adore him because he has been here so long. All the parents and grandparents who attend games were all here during the Paterno era. It's because of the emotional attachment they have to the man. No one really has the heart to force him out of the job. They believe he has earned the right go out how he wants. He literally put this school on the map. All this success the school has seen is largely in part due to his contributions. 

And that right there is the biggest problem with the whole thing and the exact reason college sports should be abolished.

I'm more mad at McQueary. He's the witness. How can anyone see a rape going on and not report it to the police is just...
30t6p3b.gif

i know he was a GA at the time and he might've been worried about his future but it's no excuse. 

I know if i would've seen it i would have taken the kid with me right to the police.

So many breakdowns on so many levels. Like others said this is horrific and incomparable to something like money, gifts and tattoos

just a sick cycle but no excuse. This is digusting and they all deserve to be thrown out.

As of right now, Joe Paterno was told something and reported it to the proper people. How is he at fault if they did nothing with the information?

Also disturbing is the fact that Spanier was told that the two were just horsing around in the shower and it wasn't sexual (so no report done). Um that's NOT ok and should be a major red flag

Originally Posted by nestasprotege

As of right now, Joe Paterno was told something and reported it to the proper people. How is he at fault if they did nothing with the information?

This. 

Paterno doesnt deserve the dignity of retiring. He must be fired. I'm sorry but as a grown man, if you ever hear of any kid being molested by an adult, especially one that is utilizing his status as a means of exploiting innocent children, it is your absolute duty to do everything to ensure that individual is apprehended and does not have any contact with a child again. Anyone who does not do so is a coward and an accomplice with as much moral blame as the individual committing the crime. Paterno's meager reporting up is not enough, given that he first hand witnessed that nothing was done for a decade and he continued to allow this individual to have access to the university and ultimately the leverage to manipulate new victims. Anyone that attempts to immunize Paterno because he fulfilled his duty of reporting up is a punk with no moral or principle backbone. There's situations that mandate a greater response than what's minimal, especially when your influence of a situation is as significant as Paterno's. That's his program.  That's his name on the stadium. And ultimately his responsibility to make sure that it was taken care of, regardless of protocol.

Joe Pa ruined his legacy and must be fired. If I were President, I'd remove everything Paterno named on that campus. If you think his football accolades supersede his inaction then I don't respect you as a man. I hate child molesters and anyone that is complicit and allows it to continue is just as reprehensible as the offender. 

You find out your coworker is fondling kids in the shower - do you tell your boss, or do you go to the cops?

Originally Posted by University of Nike

You find out your coworker is fondling kids in the shower - do you tell your boss, or do you go to the cops?

This.

It's not a HR issue or a NCAA issue, it's a criminal issue.

This. 
indifferent.gif

OK, let's think about this in a work setting. You are told that someone who works for you is molesting young boys in your office. You tell your boss and that's it? You continue to work with this guy even though nothing has been done?

Writer on ESPN said it best, "If Paterno knew something and did nothing, he's an accessory. If he didn't know, he should have known."

Originally Posted by KingJames23

Originally Posted by University of Nike

This.

It's not a HR issue or a NCAA issue, it's a criminal issue.

Bingo.Joe Pa made a very bad mistake and should be ashamed.F Penn St. This dude should get life

Story was disgusting when I first read it on SI.com.

The more information that comes out the worse it looks for the whole school.
30t6p3b.gif

Oh my God that is disgusting.

I think Niketalk is making a difference tho, ESPN is covering it now after this topic been heating up all day

Story wasn't even that big at first...unlike +%%* that ESPN has been covering the past couple of years. I mean this +%%* is worst than all those violations that athletes supposedly commit on and off the field with the exception being the rape of a student, murder, and a host of other ills that trump this, but there's not too many that I can think of.

This. 

Both of you seriously cannot be serious with this.  He did the bare minimum of what he could have done to prevent more children from getting hurt.  You can use any place of work as an example.  If you see that kinda crap happening or even hear about it and just report it to your higher up and leave it up to him to call the cops, you are either trying to protect the person who was caught in the act or trying to absolve yourself of any involvement whatsoever.  As a grandfather, as a father, hell even as a human being how can he live with himself if he witnessed or was told that someone else witnessed something of that level of seriousness and don't bring it to the authorities?  This is not seeing a fellow employee stealing or even seeing them commit some kinda of sexually harassing behavior, this is something beyond that.  I'm stunned to see/hear people try and be Joe Pa apologists.

Paterno's son statements:

Joe Paterno: I met my responsibilities

By Ivan Maisel
ESPN.com

Penn State head coach Joe Paterno, responding to the scandal that has overtaken his university and his program, said in a statement released Sunday that he acted appropriately with the information he had in 2002 regarding child sexual abuse allegations against his former defensive coordinator, Jerry Sandusky.

"If true, the nature and amount of charges made are very shocking to me and all Penn Staters," Paterno said. "While I did what I was supposed to with the one charge brought to my attention, like anyone else involved I can't help but be deeply saddened these matters are alleged to have occurred."

Sandusky, who retired from coaching in 1999 after 32 years on Paterno's staff, was arrested Saturday on 40 charges that include felony sex crimes against children. Penn State athletic director Tim Curley and university vice president Gary Schultz have been charged with felony perjury in their grand jury testimony in the case, as well as failure to report to law enforcement what they knew about Sandusky's behavior.

Paterno wasn't charged, and the grand jury report didn't implicate him in wrongdoing. His son Scott, an attorney who helped his father draft the statement, said in a phone interview Sunday evening that his father didn't know the severity of the alleged crimes until he read the grand jury's findings Saturday.

"When he read the presentment and called me, he could barely speak," Scott Paterno said.

"It was like a punch in the gut."

When asked about the sex-abuse charges outside his home in Pennsylvania on Sunday, Sandusky told ABC News he was advised by his attorney not to talk.

According to the statement released Saturday by Pennsylvania attorney general Linda Kelly, the grand jury found that in March 2002, a then-graduate assistant (Mike McQueary, a former Nittany Lions quarterback who is now a fulltime assistant), witnessed Sandusky sexually assaulting an underage boy in the showers in the Lasch Football Building. According to Kelly, the graduate assistant went to Paterno's home "to explain what he had seen."

But Paterno said in his statement that McQueary had not been specific with him.

"As my grand jury testimony stated," Joe Paterno said in the statement, "I was informed in 2002 by an assistant coach that he had witnessed an incident in the shower of our locker room facility. It was obvious that the witness was distraught over what he saw, but he at no time related to me the very specific actions contained in the Grand Jury report. Regardless, it was clear that the witness saw something inappropriate involving Mr. Sandusky. As Coach Sandusky was retired from our coaching staff at that time, I referred the matter to university administrators."

Late Sunday night, Curley requested to be placed on administrative leave so he could devote the time needed to defend himself against perjury and other charges, university president Graham Spanier said. Gary Schultz, vice president for finance and business, will step down and go back into retirement, Spanier said. He declined to comment to reporters after the meeting.

University spokesman Bill Mahon said resignations of Paterno and Spanier weren't discussed at the meeting.

The developments came after the Penn State board met in executive session. About half the board members were present while others joined by phone. Board members, including university vice president Damon Sims, walked out and declined to comment to reporters.

A source told ESPN.com's Adam Rittenberg that the board has a scheduled meeting for this coming Friday.

Sandusky retired with tenure, and, as such, came under the supervision of Schultz. Paterno referred the matter to Curley, his superior.

"Unfortunately," Scott Paterno said, "once that happened, there was really nothing more Joe felt he could do because he did not witness the event. You can't call the police and say, 'Somebody tells me they saw somebody else do something.' That's hearsay. Police don't take reports in that manner. Frankly, from the way he understood the process, he passed the information on to the appropriate university official and they said they were taking care of it. That's really all he could do."

The attorney general also discussed a 1998 police report involving Sandusky and inappropriate behavior with children. No charges were brought. Sandusky retired the next year to devote his time to The Second Mile, a charity he founded to help children. Sandusky also raised many foster children.

The two events were unrelated, Scott Paterno said, because his father knew nothing about the police report. A recent request to read it was denied by the university. Sandusky retired with great fanfare.

"Does anybody really think," Scott Paterno said, "that if (the university) thought he was a child rapist, they would have given him a farewell tour?"

Nevertheless, hindsight has left Joe Paterno and his wife Sue in anguish.

"Sue and I have devoted our lives to helping young people reach their potential," Joe Paterno said in his statement. "The fact that someone we thought we knew might have harmed young people to this extent is deeply troubling. If this is true we were all fooled, along with scores of professionals trained in such things, and we grieve for the victims and their families. They are in our prayers."

Paterno first met Curley, a 57-year-old native of State College, when the future athletic director was in his teens. His indictment, Scott Paterno said, has left his father "shocked and saddened" as well.

"This has been as hard on Joe as anything I've ever seen him endure in the sense of, trying to come to grips with, 'How did this happen?'" Scott Paterno said. "... When he was first told this (in 2002), he was 75. This was so far from what he could possibly conceive of. You come back to him now, he's 84. It's so outside of what he can even imagine.

"This guy grew up in a Norman Rockwell painting and wanted to live in one in State College," Scott Paterno said about his father. "The sad reality is, even in Norman Rockwell paintings, there's the back side of the painting. It's just a very dark, ugly thing that happened around us that we didn't see."

http://espn.go.com/colleg...ays-true-were-all-fooled

sounds like joe paterno was tryna cover it up too by not tellin police, lettin dude stay, and now saying it wasnt specific enough. dude definately needs to be forced out

Saying JoePa did what he was supposed to do is a load of BS. We're talking about JoePa here, not some bum coach at a small school that answers to the AD. Paterno runs that school and everyone knows it. The AD, the President and everyone else answers to that man. If he truly wanted to get rid of that scumbag he could fire him and call the cops and the AD and the President wouldn't say a single word about it.

Back
Top Bottom