The Point of Buying OG Jordans

Hey Guys I have a question that I wanted to clarify, why do people like to buy OG Jordans, like why would people choose OGs over a newer release. Like for example bred 13s released in 1997, 2004, and 2013. Why would you buy OGs wouldn't they just have a bigger chance of the soles separating. I'm not telling people to not buy OGs, I just want to know some reasons comparing them. Thanks!

1.) So they can feel neat and be able to tell people on NT that they are way better than them for having old shoes.

2.) They have a passion for basketball but can't play, so it brings them a little closer to their dream.

3.) They have a passion for sneakers and legitimately just like to have them in their collection.

That's about it.

Hey Guys I have a question that I wanted to clarify, why do people like to buy OG Jordans, like why would people choose OGs over a newer release. Like for example bred 13s released in 1997, 2004, and 2013. Why would you buy OGs wouldn't they just have a bigger chance of the soles separating. I'm not telling people to not buy OGs, I just want to know some reasons comparing them. Thanks!
98/04 had 3m mesh

There's several points. You can enjoy the premium construction of the original shoes. No corners were cut and the best materials were used.

Aside from collector reasons, there's really not much use for em. Sure some of them are still wearable, but at this point they're uncomfortable.

yeah for wearability: re-issue>original

but for collecting: original > re-issue, retros are bad/not exact copies of the originals (if they weren't then, your example would make more sense..2013 didn't even have 3m that's why i got rid of it)

actually for most collecting hobbies, originals are always more desired than re-issues, just because it's the original

Last edited:
OG + wearable = WIN. 

most of the people that buys DS OG are for purely collecting reason AND for a lot of them it's just a nostalgia to have something we couldn't have when we were kids. 

retros "today" are cheaply made imo. the last good retros were from 2004. when JB did almost all the 12s and 13s in their OG colorway AND some OG concept colorway like the 13 "greytoe". The 13s in these past couple years were a joke. the midsole were not the right shape vs the OG or 2004-05s. the material are half grain vs full-grain and less padding.

Last edited:
Yeah you guys are right, I decided to finally wear my 2001 Colombias today and they feel amazing. Thanks for everyone's input

people can say ive got the old and the new and to sport them when rumors say they are retroing

Gets harder and harder to find OG pairs by the day. Wearable or not. Not only does each passing day age the shoe that much more, but with Customs & sole swaps becoming more prevalent people are more likely to hold onto them & restore or 'Frankenstein' them themselves, IMO.

If you have a special relationship to a model, say maybe the first J you owned as a child? There's extra incentive to have again, what you once had and lost.

If you're a serious collector, it's the difference in 1st or 2nd printing if this was comics rather than kicks, relating to assigned monetary value.

It's all relative in the end. Rich man, poor man, we all end up bones.

I saw it mentioned in, I believe, the 'Remastering' thread, that some people who owned OG's ? Ran thru the kicks in their youth, and haven't actually seen or touched an OG in so long that they really can't accurately recall the shape or other details, when it comes to assessing accuracy on newer Retros of the same model. I feel that way to a degree. Sometimes I wonder if my recollection of how ill the OG Black/Inf' VI was is overly shaded by the fact I was a CHILD, and that they were my first J 's, or because I was overly infatuated with Jordan at the time. Blah.

I do know one thing, and that's that I don't know much. I can wholeheartedly say, however, that OG's are thicker, stronger, better products than the paper thin hype slippers we get now. But, no one forces us to buy. Blah.

Because they're the originals.

Apart from wearing them, they have a lot of mystique and sentimental value.

It's pointless to buy anything OG at this point, unless it's strictly for collection purposes.. I don't understand why dudes still try an wear OGs, it's tacky (not that I have a problem with the vintage look).

Me personally, I will never buy an OG pair of shoes.. I could never wear them, plus if I did, who would care other than myself that the materials are "better" ? It's just a shoe at the end of the day..

There are SOME (very few) cases where OGs & previous models look a lot better though, won't argue with that..

Last edited:
1. OG Jordans are made like they have been designed in terms of shape, fit, materials, construction
many retros not only have less good quality materials but have altered designs, materials or colorblocking.
They were made as contempary performance basketball shoes at their time of release.
Retros often have been made only for fashion and sometimes you could feel that the padding, stability and
cushioning just don't feel as good as the original release.
This make the retros look and feel like fakes

2. OG Jordans and any OG releases of an item that can be considered as collectibles have the highest value
among collectors. Not only in price but also a nostalgic value

3. OG Jordans if still wearable are always an eyecatcher when you wear them on the streets.

I know for me it came down to my top two shoes that I thought I'd never have or be able to wear.

Plus I just like the hunt, it's exciting and cool

#1. 1999 black/red 4s. My grail. Paid $500 which is over market but it was my birthday gift to myself and they are wearable! Have had them for a couple of years. Got them slightly used and they have held up, lately they want to fall apart on me, but I've found a method of keeping them together without sole swapping.

#2. 1994 black/red Jordan 1. My 2nd grail. Got these last year for $450 DS, never thought I'd find them in this color, I did and jumped on it. Definitely better than the retros. Happy I was able to scoop these.

Now I just find myself beating old shoes or nike and random date just because it's cool to find some things. Like I said the hunt feeling makes me like sneakers way more again.

Granted most og models arent wearable but. Honestly who wouldnt like or want the original over a clone. The og is the whole point of retroing and most kids today have have the concept flipped. Just be happy if your favorite retro model has close to as good materials and craftsmanship as the originals.

Back
Top Bottom