The Tesla Motors Appreciation Thread

That tablet dashboard is a little too much for me.

But I would still love to own a Tesla someday.

Maybe when the demand dies down in 2020? lol

I know Cali yuppies gon beast...maybe a few parkslope type NYers too...

But these aint doin no real damage since US hydrofracking and da end of Iran sanctions has changed da oil market for da foreseen future.

Being that only tesla dealers sell these, i assume when it comes to pricing they dont do any of the haggling crap right? Like they are priced to sell then of course you get what ever tax incentives?

I like it. Elon said the base model will do 0-60 in six seconds and will have autopilot which is surprising to me.

The grille looks odd. In most pictures the grille looks like someone censored it in ps.

Between this and the Camaro for me.

Anymore info on the autopilot? I thought they said not for another 2 years...

A quick Bing search says $33,560 as of the last data available less than a year ago, however that's heavily influenced by truck pricing. For example, GM and Ford both have average transaction prices above $35k, where Toyota, Nissan, and Honda are all under $30,500 and Hyundai bringing up the rear at $24,980.

@LuckyLuciano

So $35k this will sell.......clearly with the amount of pre orders already. No haggle.

Last edited:
This is legit the perfect car for me and my line of work...Might have to put that deposit down...

Def worth a watch if you guys have the time, presentation starts 7 minutes in

Last edited:
Real talk, I saw on the news a bunch of people who laterally look broke in line for this car thinking it'll be $25,000 or less after the tax credits and state incentives.

Not everyone will benefit from the tax credit.

Lets say you buy this car in 2017 and you have to pay the IRS $2k in taxes.

That $7500 federal tax credit will only cover the $2k. That extra $5,500 is basically gone and going nowhere. No, you won't get a rollover credit for 2018 because you bought the car in 2017.

These people thinking you'll save $10k, when in reality you won't. It only benefits the 1%ers, like me.

The cost of electricity also plays a role. We only pay something like 10 cents per kwh in California. Somewhere in Florida you could be paying 30 cents. At the end of day you'd benefit more from a combustion engine car in Florida since gas prices are historically cheaper in that state vs the rest of the nation.

I thought there was going to be a crossover version of the model 3 as well? Was that just a rumor?

Sounds about right, that's probably when the 3s will arrive.

exactly......

RFX how do you feel about it besides that front..............just doesn't look all that to me.

It's alright, I'd still prefer the S over it and not just because it's more expensive but it looks more balanced.

Outside of the snout front, the back feels very Volvo-ish too where it kind abruptly ends/drops (looks like an X4). I'd have to see it in person to known if I'll like it in the metal.

Just really not sure that front snout will grow on me though.

View media item 1975642

Real talk, I saw on the news a bunch of people who laterally look broke in line for this car thinking it'll be $25,000 or less after the tax credits and state incentives.

That $7500 federal tax credit will only cover the $2k. That extra $5,500 is basically gone and going nowhere. No, you won't get a rollover credit for 2018 because you bought the car in 2017.

These people thinking you'll save $10k, when in reality you won't. It only benefits the 1%ers, like me.

The cost of electricity also plays a role. We only pay something like 10 cents per kwh in California. Somewhere in Florida you could be paying 30 cents. At the end of day you'd benefit more from a combustion engine car in Florida since gas prices are historically cheaper in that state vs the rest of the nation.
The way this is explained could confuse some. The 7500$ tax credit will be against the taxes you've withheld. From your example of owing $2k, that would mean you made roughly 10,000$ gross over the course of the year, in which case you are right, your tax liability would be zero, and it wouldn't be beneficial.

Most people over the course of the year make more then 10k. We'll use around median income, rounded up to make it easy, 60k

60k is taxed at the 25% tax bracket, meaning you will be taxed 25% of your 60k = 15k. 15k is your tax liability that you owe (automatically deducted from your paychecks at work if you have W-2). 7.5k will be deducted from the 15k tax liability leaving you with 7.5k tax liability. Depending on how much withholding you have from work, you will likely be refunded, but everyone's situation is different.

Last edited:

Yea, like when they were showing the montage of Tesla owners giving their personal stories it looked like all older wealthy white guys lol. I dont think Tesla will be on some "normal people" steeze for another 10 yrs honestly. I Do see it being the Apple of Cars from a status stand point when that day comes, where normal people will think they are cooler than they are because they finally have a Tesla but it aint even that serious lol.

That said I do like what Tesla is doing, but it's too early for me to make the call to say I am truly "sold" on them.

The way this is explained could confuse some. The 7500$ tax credit will be against the taxes you've withheld. From your example of owing $2k, that would mean you made roughly 10,000$ gross over the course of the year, in which case you are right, your tax liability would be zero, and it wouldn't be beneficial.

Most people over the course of the year make more then 10k. We'll use around median income, rounded up to make it easy, 60k

60k is taxed at the 25% tax bracket, meaning you will be taxed 25% of your 60k = 15k. 15k is your tax liability that you owe (automatically deducted from your paychecks at work if you have W-2). 7.5k will be deducted from the 15k tax liability leaving you with 7.5k tax liability. Depending on how much withholding you have from work, you will likely be refunded, but everyone's situation is different.

I just offered a simplified version, but that's all true.

I don't know where most people in California are making $60k though.

I don't think my boss even makes more than $40k.

I just offered a simplified version, but that's all true.

I don't know where most people in California are making $60k though.

I don't think my boss even makes more than $40k.

yea 60k is like the top 10% of income nationally lol.

Last edited:
Didn't you have an odd issue with the charging cable also last year? How's that been so far?

It was fixed by getting a new adapter. I took my outlet apart myself and checked out all the wires and everything was good.

The new plug they gave me is the third or 4th revised version.

I don't know if I mentioned but other problems I've had was a window not operating correctly for over a year. It was a window which was broken into, due to living in the hood.

I've also had the pano roof leak water for months. I never found out until it rained in SoCal and because it never rained, I had a pool of water rotting away underneath after the car was washed once a week.

I don't know if they upgraded the leather, but at the time I ordered I upgraded to the nappa leather and it doesn't feel like high quality. Maybe a little better than Nissan, but not as good as Mercedes, BMW, or Bentley.

If you're 6' you'll hit your head sitting in the back. I think this will be eem more of a problem in the Model 3 since it's a shorter wheelbase.

Last edited:
I googled "Median income Los Angeles"

Median household income is 55,909$.

Didn't you have an odd issue with the charging cable also last year? How's that been so far?

It was fixed by getting a new adapter. I took my outlet apart myself and checked out all the wires and everything was good.

The new plug they gave me is the third or 4th revised version.

I don't know if I mentioned but other problems I've had was a window not operating correctly for over a year. It was a window which was broken into, due to living in the hood.

I've also had the pano roof leak water for months. I never found out until it rained in SoCal and because it never rained, I had a pool of water rotting away underneath after the car was washed once a week.

I don't know if they upgraded the leather, but at the time I ordered I upgraded to the nappa leather and it doesn't feel like high quality. Maybe a little better than Nissan, but not as good as Mercedes, BMW, or Bentley.

If you're 6' you'll hit your head sitting in the back. I think this will be eem more of a problem in the Model 3 since it's a shorter wheelbase.

Sounds like it's been a hassle owning one for you. Does the sunlight bother you with the pano roof? Always wondered about that.

Sounds like it's been a hassle owning one for you. Does the sunlight bother you with the pano roof? Always wondered about that.

They've provided me with either another Tesla or a "luxury" vehicle from enterprise. They'll pay for gas and I don't have to bring the car back to enterprise because they'll drop off and pick up the car for you too so it's been convenient for me since I work at the mall and can't always drive off.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom