The Tesla Motors Appreciation Thread

Was definitely considered it but I just love that exhaust note and engine roar too much.

The GLA is actually my daily driver now and I'm looking for a weekend car but that likely won't be a Tesla.

I might consider it again when the lease is up on the GLA and whichever weekend car I get is enough to let me drive the Tesla daily.

Though that post above where dude is saying you need a $7500 down and the monthly is still $1200 for a lease? $7500 tax credit balances it out but that $1200 monthly is pretty stiff, I assume that's on the P85D version?

Nice. How does the interior feel on the GLA? After being in the Tesla I can't go back to the M3; it feels too cramp, but the handling is a lot better.

That lease does sound high. Probably is for the P85D, but I wouldn't be surprised if it wasn't either. They're financing rates through Wells Fargo was potato a few years ago. Idk how it is now. You could put less down and lease an S550 and that interior alone is miles better than Teslas. I'm lightweight and if you saw the leather in my car you would've thought I was a fat kid.

Interior on the GLA is decent, it is one of the things the car gets a lot of flack for though but I really do not mind it. I love that giant screen on the Model S. How is it with reflections though? Is it coated with anti-reflective solution/film to prevent viewing issues?

What I do wish with Tesla is a new gen roadster. Interior on that was really bad but now I think they can make a more bad*ss and even faster version.

Interior on the GLA is decent, it is one of the things the car gets a lot of flack for though but I really do not mind it. I love that giant screen on the Model S. How is it with reflections though? Is it coated with anti-reflective solution/film to prevent viewing issues?

What I do wish with Tesla is a new gen roadster. Interior on that was really bad but now I think they can make a more bad*ss and even faster version.

No problems with reflections and driving in the sun is easy to read since I have the screen set to max brightness. Other than that the screen is naked. I turn it down at night cause even when it's on night settings it's pretty bright and people can see easier inside, even with the windows tinted.

You are right about that roadster looking prehistoric. It's crazy how they maintain their value though.

We received an unexpected surprise today with the circulation of the first photos of the production Tesla Model X via the brand's private configurator for Signature reservation holders.

Tesla has two levels of reservation for the new Model X, one for the regular model that requires a $5,000 deposit and another one with a much heftier $40,000 deposit for the limited Signature series.

The Model X seen in the screenshots and pictures is the top-of-the line "Signature Series" that starts from $132,000, not including a $7,500 Federal tax credit. It comes with a 90kWh battery pack and a boatload of standard features such as the Autopilot self-parking system, ventilated leather seats with heating and cooling, two flat-folding third row seats for adults, and "independently operable, 3-adult second row seats".

The Signature series will also get Falcon Wing rear doors with "built in sensors" to prevent users from hitting them into garage ceilings of "any height".

According to the spec sheet, the standard Model X Signature model will have an estimated driving range of 240 miles (386 km/h), with the 259hp front and 503hp rear electric motors offering a 0-60mph time of 3.8 sec and a top speed of 155mph (250km/h).

There are three options listed on Tesla's configurator, including a Subzero Weather Package for $1,000, a Tow Package for $750, and of course, the most interesting of all, the "Ludicrous Speed Upgrade" that cuts the 0-60mph (96km/h) time by 0.6 sec to 3.2 sec and the quarter mile to 11.7 seconds – that's a mere 0.5 seconds more than the 707hp Dodge Challenger SRT Hellcat…for a 7-seater family car…

View media item 1695784View media item 1695785View media item 1695786View media item 1695787View media item 1695788View media item 1695789

Last edited:
My god. Imagine pulling up to an r8 with the family in the car and smoking the R8. Phew!

$133k?... :lol:... Why is this so much more than the Model S...

Brah, thats the price for the P90D

A model S P90D is only a few thousand less but this suv actually has third row seats for adults vs the MODEL S which can only fit two 10 year olds in the trunk.

Last edited:
I think the Model S 70D starts at $75k before incentives so maybe around $78k-$80k?

The $35k Tesla Model 3 starts production in 2 years and pre-orders start next year.

Elon Musk [emoji]10004[/emoji]@elonmusk
Model 3, our smaller and lower cost sedan will start production in about 2 years. Fully operational Gigafactory needed.

Elon Musk [emoji]10004[/emoji]@elonmusk
@elonmusk $35k price, unveil in March, preorders start then.
1:25 PM - 2 Sep 2015

I think the Model S 70D starts at $75k before incentives so maybe around $78k-$80k?

The $35k Tesla Model 3 starts production in 2 years and pre-orders start next year.

That sounds about right. I think they did raise base model prices of the S to either $70 or 75. Plus, if they have a two wheel drive option for those who don't want/need four wheel drive the price will be eem lower.

If you're seriously thinking about copping the X, my advice would be to wait for a year or two cause who knows what they'll add as a standard option by then, just like the model S has been getting upgrades every year.

Elon Musk [emoji]10004[/emoji] @elonmusk
With same options, Model X is $5k more than an S due to greater size & body complexity. Sig Series is fully loaded, hence high price.
Follow
Elon Musk [emoji]10004[/emoji] @elonmusk
First production cars will be handed over on Sept 29 at our Fremont factory
1:59 PM - 2 Sep 2015

View media item 1730961
Tesla Launches The Model X, And Even The CEO Thinks It's Outlandish

When it first announced plans to build an electric SUV in 2012, Tesla Motors showed off a taller version of its Model S sedan with gullwing doors and production planned for 2013. Two years after its original launch date, the first Model X finally left Tesla’s hands Tuesday night, and quickly made a claim for one of the most exotic, expensive vehicles on the road —a status that even Tesla co-founder Elon Musk thinks may have gone too far.

“We got a little carried away with the X. I’m not sure anyone should make this car, really,” Musk told reporters. “There’s far more there than really necessary to sell the car…all these things together make the car amazing. It’s next level.”

With the Model X, America’s lone start-up automaker attempts to launch its second act, a bridge between the luxury-but-niche Model S sedan and a truly mass-produced electric car to be built within a few years. Yet Musk admits that instead of simply modifying the Model S, the engineers on the Model X found their own ludicrous mode that goes far beyond the 713 lb-ft of torque from its electric motors.

Start with the shape, a long hatchback dominated by the rear gullwing “falcon” doors and a panoramic windshield that covers the entire front passenger compartment, the largest such glass in the automotive world. The doors are filled with sensors front and back; an “invisible chauffeur” senses when a driver approaches with the key fob, and can automatically open the front doors.

Those rear gullwing doors felt like an exotic piece of car-show puffery when they were first revealed, and in production form, they’re science fiction come to life. Each door is hinged in the center, and guided by four different sensors that measure the distance to obstacles around them, slowly cantilevering themselves skyward. (Musk said he made the engineers study ballet dancers to make the doors open with the proper grace.) Tesla says the doors need only 11.8 inches of clearance to open, and lift themselves until they clear the roof of the car next to them.

Inside those doors lies the most complex seats ever installed in a vehicle. Instead of sliding on tracks, the “monopost” seats glide on a single pole in six- or seven-seat configurations. Unlike other SUVs, the second row doesn’t fold flat, but slides forward and separates until its squished against the front row. Tesla says between the third row that folds flat, the extra cargo space created by the electric drivetrain and the seats, the X will have more hauling space than most competitors.

The dashboard is an evolution of the Model S layout, complete with requisite 17-inch touch screen, but with a few additional features, including an HEPA air-filtration system so extreme Musk says the car has a “bioweapons defense” mode; the air coming through is comparable to a hospital.

All of this required engineering work that would tax an established automaker, let alone a 12-year-old start-up. Musk calls building the X “very difficult, super difficult, extremely difficult” with a few parts like the seven-layer windshield with a fading gradient “excruciating.” Musk vows the Model X will get five-star safety ratings across the board, but meeting that goal with the monopost rear seats required going to “the edge of physics.” Even the sun visors required a new approach; they fold out of the A-pillar and attach to the roof with a magnetic post that telescopes from the edge.

And Musk, who gets compared to a real-life Tony Stark and in another of his day jobs wants to build rockets to take humans to Mars, says Tesla might have been better off building a simpler SUV.

“I think the X really sets a new bar for automotive engineering,” Musk told reporters before revealing the X to a crowd of enthusiastic Tesla fans in California. “There’s nothing like it in the world. There’s never has been—I’m not sure there should be.”

The X relies on the same power setup as the high-end versions of the Model S; a 90-kWh battery pack and a pair of electric motors, with 259 hp available to the front wheels and 503 hp to the rear. In its fastest setup (the P90D with “Ludicrous” mode) the 5,441-lb. Model X can hit 60 mph in 3.2 seconds, or exactly as fast as a manual-shifted Chevy Corvette Stingray. (Non-Ludicrous models do it in 3.8 seconds, still Ferrari-like territory.) Thanks to a slippery drag coefficient of 0.24 and low-rolling-resistance tires, the Model X has a range of up to 257 miles, with a slightly lower rating for the high-performance edition.

Yet building impossible cars sounds like a slogan Tesla would use in its marketing, if it had any to speak of. At the moment, it doesn’t seem to need it; the six Founders’ Edition cars delivered Tuesday night cost in excess of $140,000, to buyers who put down deposits up to three years ago, yet Musk says the company has 20,000 to 25,000 pre-orders for the X, enough to fill the production line until the middle of 2016.

The complexity of the Model X has set off some worries on Wall Street, which wants to know how fast the money-losing Tesla can ramp production on the X and start bringing in the cash to pay for the smaller Model III. Musk says the X production will ramp quickly, but declined to go into deep details aside from repeating a goal of building 800 cars a week, saying the figures could change too rapidly.

At the moment, Tesla only offers a “Signature” full-boat version of the Model X starting at $130,000; the regular 90D models will start around $100,000 and Musk said eventually the company would produce more affordable editions with smaller battery packs. For now, Tesla has the cash to meet the initial orders for the X; the challenge will be luring enough buyers and assembling what may be the most difficult vehicle to build in the world.

“This is a car from the future.” Musk said, adding: “This accrues to the benefit of the buyers of the X. They’re going to get an incredible car that does things no other car does.

“It didn’t need to do so many things.”

I'm bringing my car in the end of month. It's been a year and this window still hasn't functioned correctly. And to add to that, the A/C is already out or Freon is gone and it's less than 3 years old.

Back
Top Bottom