the thread about nothing...

Not letting this post/series of posts hide in it's original thread.

Ain't no way I would call the police in that situation. :lol:

I was questioning the decision when they were asking us for our DNA samples.
IMG_2179.gif

i’m currently working with a 9th grader who is displaying some flashes of emotional disturbance with how quickly she’s triggered by peers’ comments (not about her) or how perceives another student’s glances. she’s a fire cracker with the shortest fuse possible. i might try a similar strategy you implemented.
My approach, right off the bat, every time:
1. They're not in trouble, not with me.
2. What can we do that they like? Something we can talk about? Something we can do? I played Jenga during an amazing session with a freshman last week. His favorite game, because he loves the crash... which gave me another snippet into something he likes.
3. "My main purpose here is to hear what you have to say." Most kids love that. Teen kids. Little kidlets. Because when they start going off, it's "EXCUSE ME?! We do NOT talk like that in here, mister!! Say it again and it is ISS FOR YOU!!!" Of course they're going to say it again. I've had students tell me that their ex-best friend is a stupid b**** c*** wh*** and they hope they fall off a bridge, and I just remain unphased. "Why do you feel like that?" Let them go off and just remain cool and collected, and they'll start calming down. Mix in some Jenga or let them draw or talk about sports if they're into that...

... my bad. You didn't ask for all this.

What do you do? You said you're working with a 9th grader. Are you in the mental health field?

My approach, right off the bat, every time:
1. They're not in trouble, not with me.
2. What can we do that they like? Something we can talk about? Something we can talk about? I played Jenga during an amazing session with a freshman last week. His favorite game, because he loves the crash... which gave me another snippet into something he likes.
3. "My main purpose here is to hear what you have to say." Most kids love that. Teen kids. Little kidlets. Because when they start going off, it's "EXCUSE ME?! We do NOT talk like that in here, mister!! Say it again and it is ISS FOR YOU!!!" Of course they're going to say it again. I've had students tell me that their ex-best friend is a stupid b**** c*** wh*** and they hope they fall off a bridge, and I just remain unphased. "Why do you feel like that?" Let them go off and just remain cool and collected, and they'll start calming down. Mix in some Jenga or let them draw or talk about sports if they're into that...

... my bad. You didn't ask for all this.

What do you do? You said you're working with a 9th grader. Are you in the mental health field?

appreciate this insight, bro. the sentence stems/frames are definitely helpful and things I try to practice as much as i can. i've learned the hard way that it helps to take on a non-disciplinary approach in helping a student deescalate certain behaviors.

i'm a special education case manager for high school students with mild/moderate disabilities (learning disabilities, autism, ADHD, etc.). i spent my first five years of teaching at a school for students who had emotional disturbance, so i got really accustomed to working with youth who had severe mood swings and outbursts of rage/anger. i sacrificed my hairline for that job :lol:

You guys know anyone at Burning Man? They have gotten rainstorms at Black Rock City turning the Playa into a clay mud like surface there. They've closed the entry/exits and folks likely won't be able to leave until Monday or later with more rain in the forecast tomorrow.

Back
Top Bottom