THE THREAD ABOUT SKATEBOARDING.

let me share some love for Joey Brezinski

quick story, I went to Venice skatepark one day after court to skate and I was leaving the main skatepark to grab a slice of pizza and saw Joey skating the manual pad that was part of the old park. I grabbed my pizza and sat down to watch him skate and he broke his sample pair of trucks and called it a day. he came up to me and asked if I wanted his board and I turned into a little kid and was so stoked. we sat and talked for a good while, the trick he was working on was the opening trick for his bon voyage part 
nthat.gif

Brezinski's manny skills are ridiculous! Makes me even more bummed that I was never good at them. I might have to start doing some balance training and try get good since my days of jumping down anything that I can't jump up are over. With so many pros continuing to kill it after 30, I find it hard to get too excited about a lot of the younger skaters unless they bring some creativity to the table. Guess it's bound to happen to all those kids growing up in the YouTube generation and it might get even worse now that I heard Fox is gonna start broadcasting Street League? Never watched a Street League broadcast but I guess I might check out the beginning and turn if off later if the finals are Nyjah, P-Rod, and Sheckler. Anyone else think it's weird that skateboarding has gotten so big that there are a lot of people that follow it but don't skate now? Or is it normal considering things like THPS, X-Games, etc. were so popular? Just annoying when people who don't skate ask me "Who's the best skater?" and then are disappointed if I don't say Tony Hawk, Ryan Sheckler, Rob Dyrdek, or anyone else that's on TV a lot.

Randomly re-watched this clip of Frank Gerwer talking about Lance Mountain and bombing hills. As one of those pros known for talking, sometimes I forget that he's pretty gnarly at skating.

Also, new Bobby Worrest all Pulaski footage.

Maybe I was spoiled, but I don't remember having too many blank boards. Or maybe it was because I got discounts from friends who worked at skate shops? The old Powell-Peralta art in the Bones Brigade days was so amazing that I guess it was hard for them to keep the brand strong after everyone except Cab left? To be fair, a lot of companies seem to get less creative as time goes by. Series boards are cool if they're done right, but just putting a big logo and the pro's name in different colors for a graphic is lazy. But then again, a lot of people pay lots of money for stuff that is pretty much just advertising.

kids who are growing up with street league have no clue on what style is, they see all these flip in-grind-flip outs that they are convinced that that is what skateboarding is, the hardest tricks. in my opinion, Daewon, Joey, Haslam and Shane are the only ones who look good being technical. I saw a video part of some guy from LA who didn't have a simple trick, everything had a flip trick variation to it, gnarly? yes, fun to watch? not for me after the first minute.

I usually skated shop decks, I never got name brand boards unless it was my bday or christmas, I sold cans three times a year as my only income so it was always buy a name brand for $60 or 2 shop decks for $60, then a year or so before I took my long break, I was getting boards from a local homie's company.

I wish there were more videos like these that share some good stories.

two poop stories 
laugh.gif

I would give up my big bag of 'Famous Amos' cookies to skate pools like Ben Rayborn.

So Chris Cole also put out a part for his new DC shoe. However, having watched Raybourn's part first, I was kind of unimpressed (or unsurprised?) by Cole's part. Also, maybe because I've seen how he skates through the years and know what to expect?

There's a lot of amazing stuff he did in the video, but I wasn't as stoked as I was watching Raybourn. Wasn't feeling the music or the ADHD editing.

Related: as good as some of the current DC pro model shoes might be, I can't see myself buying them since they released all those terrible mall kid shoes around the time that most of the OG team left. That and because I could usually find DCs for cheap at ROSS? Probably doesn't matter since that era was like 10 years ago and most kids only know how DC is now.

So Chris Cole also put out a part for his new DC shoe. However, having watched Raybourn's part first, I was kind of unimpressed (or unsurprised?) by Cole's part. Also, maybe because I've seen how he skates through the years and know what to expect?

Not the biggest Chris Cole fan in the world, but I'll be damned if that wasn't amazing.

forgot how great DC was during those 411 days, I was backing DC hard back in '02/03 but I noticed a change in quality when I was making holes within the first week of skating. 

that Cole vid was pretty amazing, forgot how good he is in the streets when he isn't skating in Street League, that grey/black/orange pair would be snatched if I didn't want a pair of DVS'.

Last edited:
Wasn't saying Cole's part wasn't amazing, but with so many similar parts getting put online every day, it's easy to be like "oh another switch frontside flip down a giant set of stairs", "yeah, backside tailslide to varial flip out", etc. Unless I know and like whoever is doing the tricks, or they're doing something I have never seen before, I usually think "why should I care who this skater is? EVERYONE is good now."

I think this is part 2 on the style piece, but the audio is kind of off.

I feel like skating now is returning to those early 90's super tech days but with bigger wheels, bigger rails and gaps, smaller pants, and longer grinds/slides.

Any thoughts on skaters training or lifting weights? Saw this pic on Nick Dompierre's Instagram and wondered. There are guys like him and Biebel who're pretty jacked, and then there are guys who seem to do nothing but smoke weed and drink all day.

I guess it depends on who's doing it and how much? I don't relly follow guys like Sheckler and Nyjah (not a fan of either), but I remember reading something about how one of them was doing Greco-Roman wrestling to cross-train for skating. What?

Last edited:
forgot how great DC was during those 411 days, I was backing DC hard back in '02/03 but I noticed a change in quality when I was making holes within the first week of skating. 

which shoe did you get holes in? I had tanks of some generic dc shoes from 2006 that are on par with the nyjah huston signature shoe. I don't know if the huston shoe can be topped

eek.gif
 holy hell at Dompierre's legs 
laugh.gif

I took 5 years off from skating and got super fat so I just stuck to skating as my workout along with basketball. I did yoga for a bit when I started up again bc my body is wrecked, just do simple yoga stretches to work on my hips since that's what bothers me the most.
made a hole in these, the "Titan" that little black ollie pad was ripping apart.

dc-shoes-titan-grey-midnight.jpg

I have a DC outlet nearby and the Nyjah's look so nice and are really comfortable but idk if I'll buy DC again, they're like another Element to me.

Pretty much, DC and Element went so mainstream that anytime I see someone rocking the gear, I assume they don't skate. It's like when I see someone in Tokyo with Thrasher gear on, but that might be different since it feel like people wear stuff without the implication that they're necessarily about the culture. At least all those sales from non-skaters help pay guys like Ray Barbee?

To be fair, recently I've been going to the gym a lot more often than skating due to injuries (dislocated ankle/broken leg) and related weight gain (20-30 pounds). Doctors were like, "you'll probably be able to skate by August..." but that was almost 9 years ago. It was probably as bad or worse than Malto's, but he's got that Nike money paying for his rehab.

Anyway, Guy Mariano appreciation time!

Early 90's Guy:

Mid-late 90's Guy:

Mid-late 2000's Guy:

Early 2010s Guy:

Something about Dailymotion doesn't embed the video when I use the 'video' option.

Lastly, Jordan Hoffart on Stereo.

Last edited:
I dropped out of skating right after Fully Flared dropped. 

So glad to get back at it. 
nthat.gif

Ronnie Creager no longer rides for Blind after 20 years of service! What? Hopefully, he's moving on to something better. Given that the word "retirement" was not used, he'll probably end up somewhere else soon.

After 20 amazing and memorable years Blind and Ronnie Creager are going their separate ways From the beginning Ronnie has been a one of a kind inspiration to all of us at Blind ,the team ,everyone at Dwindle and skaters worldwide with his uncanny board control and effortless style. Over the years Ronnie has delivered some of the most technical and easy on the eyes video parts the skate world has ever seen. These parts are timeless and serve as inspiration for skaters of all ages from every corner of the globe. We cant thank Ronnie enough for all his contributions,memories and fun times over the years. We wish Ronnie nothing but the best and look forward to seeing more amazing skating from him in the future

Considering he said:

I’ve pretty much dedicated my whole skate career to Blind and stood behind the company in times of both good and bad. It is a little depressing that I’m still not considered an employee or have a retirement plan in place for the 20 years I’ve been with the brand, but I’m confident that Blind will take care of me. If I were to leave Blind and ride for another brand, it would be for love not money.

about Blind back in 2011, something must have definitely changed for him to leave.

In recognition of his over 20 years of service, a compilation of Creager's footy as edited by Manolo.

Last edited:
Epicly Later'd: Ed Templeton (Part 3)

had no idea Mike V was that old :wow:
hope they get him on the next Epicly Later'd

Part 4 is up on Vice's site if you don't want to wait for it to get put on YouTube. Yet another reason Mike V is a tool and his companies always go out of business. On a more positive note, they talk about Welcome to Hell as well as Jaime Thomas and Brian Anderson!

I'm not 100% sure, but Mike V or Kris Markovich might hold the record of most companies skated for? Markovich's case might be worse because he get's a tattoo of the company he is riding for at the time. I could be wrong though.

Kind of disappointed that RIDE Channel stopped with Weekend Buzz and Free Lunch, but they seem to be delivering more international content now? Short doc on skateboarding in Myanmar.

Also, if you don't know about VHS Mag, check it out. Lots of good skating coming out of Japan.

Was gonna embed a video, but I'm not sure how to do it. Sorry.

Welcome to Hell 
smokin.gif

One of the first videos I ever saw.

I still have Fulfill the Dream, Plan B Revolution, Thrill of it All, a handful of 411s and Transworld greatest hits kicking around. Would be almost depressing to throw those in the VCR. They used to hype me up so much to go out skating.

this part got me so hyped, wish I said yea to going to SF with my brother this weekend 
mean.gif

Last edited:
Pretty much, DC and Element went so mainstream that anytime I see someone rocking the gear, I assume they don't skate. It's like when I see someone in Tokyo with Thrasher gear on, but that might be different since it feel like people wear stuff without the implication that they're necessarily about the culture. At least all those sales from non-skaters help pay guys like Ray Barbee?

To be fair, recently I've been going to the gym a lot more often than skating due to injuries (dislocated ankle/broken leg) and related weight gain (20-30 pounds). Doctors were like, "you'll probably be able to skate by August..." but that was almost 9 years ago. It was probably as bad or worse than Malto's, but he's got that Nike money paying for his rehab.

been wanting to ask you, how is skateboarding like where you're at? cops? scene? spots? frowned upon? skateboards? companies? is it hard to get stuff or does Japan have some solid companies?

I use to hate when people rocked skate gear when they never rolled an ankle but I grew out of that phase.

Malto's ankle made me stop skating for a couple days after seeing the picture, I wouldn't get over the fear, if I did, it'd take a year or more.

Hoffart fits Stereo well, might be my favorite team right now.

I like Guy's part in FF over his PS part. but then again I hated Pretty Sweet's editing.
that legit bummed me out, he was one of the first pros I remember watching, time to retire his Bones Wheels I'm riding, and Blind seems to be following World Industries' footsteps, I really hope both of them start pumping out some early 90's stuff and get back on top.
Markovich's case might be worse because he get's a tattoo of the company he is riding for at the time. I could be wrong though.

Kind of disappointed that RIDE Channel stopped with Weekend Buzz and Free Lunch
I heard the same about Markovich, wish there was more footage of him, can't remember the last thing I saw of his besides an interview.

so is free lunch and weekend buzz gone for good? any word as to why? 

I dropped out of skating right after Fully Flared dropped. 

So glad to get back at it. 
nthat.gif
nthat.gif
nthat.gif

Welcome to Hell 
smokin.gif

One of the first videos I ever saw.

I still have Fulfill the Dream, Plan B Revolution, Thrill of it All, a handful of 411s and Transworld greatest hits kicking around. Would be almost depressing to throw those in the VCR. They used to hype me up so much to go out skating.
I know that feel, since I started up again, I haven't watched any of my old movies, sucks that the memories they bring can't be relived 

From what I've seen, skateboarding is popular/cool, but for obvious reasons, you'll almost never see anyone skating down the street or sidewalk unless they're outside the city. The closest skatepark for me is the Nike one in Shibuya, but it's 200 yen for 2 hours and you have to fill out some stuff every time you go and wear a helmet.

The main problem I think is that skateparks are not usually in the city because of real estate prices. For the Shibuya park, Nike spent a lot of money to get the homeless out of that space, and also put in two futsal fields and a rock climbing wall. The next closest skatepark is Komazawa, which is a few stops away from Shibuya. I'm definitely thinking about checking this one out if they still have those mellow mini ramps so I can try learn how to skate transition gradually.

I usually would see people skating late at night in front of Kichijoji station because that street was for buses only so traffic would be fairly light. Also lots of beginner level (still trying to figure out how to ollie) kids go to Yoyogi Park and skate flatground.

I think it's weird that the headquarters of FESN (Nakano, my neighborhood) doesn't really have a skatepark, but I did see them have a little street course set up back in September for some festival by the station. At this point, I would be glad just to find a basketball court or something to skate flatground on that's nearby.

To sum up (at least for the case of Tokyo):

1) land is expensive so most skateparks are located outside of the main 23 wards
2) Tokyo is crowded so it's hard to skate on the sidewalks or streets unless it's really late at night
3) Everything costs like 2x as much as it does in the US; there's a few small companies, but their stuff isn't cheaper!
4) A lot of the spots are sprinkled all over the place. I keep a look out and document stuff that looks skatable, but usually it'll be the only thing for miles
5) It's a big city so there are lots of other things you could be doing instead of skating
6) Most sidewalks are covered with tile and those yellow bumps for blind people which can slow you down
7) A lot of streets/sidewalks are really narrow and usually crowded by parked bicycles and cars

I would totally skate a lot more here if I had a bigger network of people who skated more often that didn't live halfway across the city or in another prefecture. At the very least, I should take one of my cruisers out every so often late at night now that it's getting warmer.

Since I came here, I haven't bought anything at a Japanese skate shop outside of a tool or some bolts. I ordered some Autobahns online due to a Black Friday deal (buy one set, get another set free) and even with shipping, it was cheaper than one set of wheels would have cost in store. Shoe prices aren't so bad, as long as you don't want the new releases.

I ordered a bunch of skate shirts from the US because, again, even with international shipping, cheaper than instore. Plus, I have no idea how Japanese shirt sizes work still. Hopefully cut some more weight and it won't matter. Start rocking those smedium shirts. j/k

I'll probably buy a deck or two when I go back, whether I need them or not. I figure I can always flip them and make some profit.

On one hand, big respect for Japanese skaters because everything is expensive, but on the flip side, ANYONE can spend some money and look the part, even if a real skater can smell their BS from 100 miles away.

Reactions: Ox.
damn, thanks bro for that info. really opened my eyes a bit. it wasn't what I expected at all!!! I thought it was as popular over there as it is over here in the states, didn't think it was that tough or expensive, definitely put things into perspective. 

almost in the same boat with fugualarmclock fugualarmclock

difference is we dont have a skateshop or skatepark. some would drive to Dubai (6 hours by car, 45 mins by plane), the closest place over here to a skateshop. If not that, they buy stuff from a friend of mine over here who owns a skateboard company in South Africa called Technique Skateboards

so whenever he comes back from south africa, he brings about 20 decks, trucks, wheels etc. so he could sell them to kids over here who want to skate (about $78 for a deck with grip) he also built his own mini on his roof, collecting scrap wood and bars, which is open to anyone who wants to skate it.

we've got a really really small skate community over here and ill i do is document the stuff happening since i can't do **** anymore :lol:

you guys are lucky to have skate shops and parks over there!!

Reactions: Ox.
I wouldn't say that it's tough, but you definitely have to be a little more committed than in the US. I was pretty spoiled in Hawaii since I could just jump in the car and drive 20-30 minutes and go to a free public skatepark and skate from dawn to dusk. The skatepark that I lived about a mile from for 2 years didn't open until 1pm on the weekdays and you had to wear a helmet, but at least it was free. You just had to fill out some paperwork (in Japanese) and you'd get an ID card. Sadly, I never made enough time to go there often enough to make any connections or get good at skating the mini ramp there. Definitely gonna go back and skate there again when I have time.

Mitaka is where the Ghibli Museum is. It's about 15-20 minutes away from Shinjuku (busiest train station in the world) by train. And then it's probably a 1-2 miles away from Mitaka station or Kichijoji station. There's a skate shop named Instant about 5 minutes from the north exit of Kichijoji station. I would sometimes see guys skating flatground in the parking lot near the Ghibli Museum when I'd be coming home late at night.

There's also this cool little park in Tachikawa, which is further west. Tachikawa is maybe 30 minutes from Shinjuku and then it's about a mile or two to the skatepark. You can try skate is, but as I mentioned earlier, the sidewalks are tile/cobblestones so your legs will get tired from pushing and all the vibrations.

And then there's this place in Hachioji, which is about 40 minutes by train from Shinjuku. I haven't gone there yet, so I can't say anything more, but it looks pretty amazing.

There's also this one on the roof of a shopping mall in Odaiba, which I haven't gone to yet either. I think it's somehow related to one of the few Wahoo's Fish Tacos restaurants in Tokyo. I feel as if the fences aren't high enough to stop a board if someone bails though. At the very least, you can go skate, eat some tacos and go chill by the life-sized Gundam after? Odaiba's kind of bad too, since it's 40 minutes from Shinjuku and kind of expensive to get there since it's a man-made island. The train has to go through a tunnel under Tokyo Bay to get there. Once you get there, there's nothing but shopping malls. At the very least, it's not that crowded once you get away from the station and malls, but then again, the ground is all covered in tiles. If you're a fan of those old school video parts filmed at Embarcadero, it's like you're at Embarcadero ALL THE TIME!

I retract my previous statement. I saw two guys skating past me tonight in front of the station. At the very least, I have seen more ppl skateboarding on the sidewalk/street in Nakano than I did when I lived in Mitaka. There's a pretty decent hill in front of the station so I might try skate it on one of my cruisers once night. There's also a spot in front of another station (Nakano-Sakaue) that has probably been skated due to the wax marks that I saw on it.

View media item 861166

I feel spoiled, my city is small (outside of LA) and we have some nice spots, few that come out on videos, a nice skatepark that you must wear a helmet if you want to skate (it has lights for a nice night session but I haven't gone since they opened it in '04. I'm always complaining that there isn't enough spots or that boards are too expensive, shoes too expensive, too many cars. when in reality it isn't bad at all 
frown.gif

here's Youness' part, meant to post this a few weeks back when he went pro.

Back
Top Bottom