The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

In general are TRF prices considered higher or lower than reputable independent sellers for (lightly) used watches? (Know lots of sellers on TRF are dealers, just not sure if pricing is different)

Back at considering a sub or gmt of some sort, wondering where to keep an eye on for a good deal. Tia

Last edited:
Prices on TRF varies but with sellers like DavidSW, he provides good discount while providing a legit warranty card stamped by an AD (for the most part) so it's like buying from an AD for grey market price.

New, even from TRF sellers, more often than not will have a higher price than used watches so you just have to really decide what you want. Of course this isn't always the case but just do your proper research and go with what you feel best suits you and your budget.

Me personally, I rather be the first owner of the watch when it is readily available in stores, I haven't ventured into vintage watches but those are probably the only used watches I'd get unless I see something in great condition from a reputable guy for a steal.

If the price difference is a few hundreds, I am going for the new one for sure. Again, that's a personal preference.

Like rfx45 rfx45 said, it's a matter of personal preference. I've seen Sub 114060 no dates bought in 2016 (meaning you'd be the second owner) with box & papers go on TRF for as low as $5,800. If you don't mind being the 2nd owner, that's a pretty significant amount of money you'd be saving considering that they retail for $7,500. You can always bargain the price down at the AD, but they won't go down that much unless you have a relationship with them.

Last edited:
I'd be fine buying new, just grown accustomed to looking at lightly used first if savings is substantial.

So if I can find a sub for 10-20% off AD price with minimal signs of wear, I'd take it. If it's more like 5-10%, or watches priced 10-20% off showed noticeable wear (i.e. More marks than I'd put on it after some casual wear) then I'd start looking new. I know this is sorta weird but I don't mind when items I wear look "lived in" so to speak, so a brand new/pristine watch isn't something I put high value on. But a warranty def is...go figure.

Anyways, thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Last edited:
I may be completely wrong here, but I think the warranty isn't broken unless you buy from the grey market. So if you buy lightly used on TRF from someone who got it at an AD you should be fine in that regard.

Last edited:
Via a blogtowatch: http://www.ablogtowatch.com/can-rolex-watch-warranty-transfer-new-owner/

Getting back to the original question of whether or not a Rolex watch warranty is "mobile," the answer is yes. If you are the original buyer of a Rolex purchased at an authorized dealer, then you can transfer any remaining warranty period to a new owner. So if you buy a Rolex Submariner with a valid five-year warranty, and then decide to sell the watch three years later to a new owner, then that second owner would have two remaining years left on the warranty.

i was thinking of copping from the rolex forum but a lot of them want a wire transfer and dont do paypal... so i passed

because wire transfer requires no fees on their end and safer for the seller and usually when dealing with thousands of dollars, it's the preferred form of payment

buy from DavidSW and meet up with him in Florida in person and pay cash, I think he gives a little bit of discount if you go that route and you get to inspect the watch beforehand

because wire transfer requires no fees on their end and safer for the seller and usually when dealing with thousands of dollars, it's the preferred form of payment

That may be true but if you wire a stranger money and they send you a dirty sock you're screwed.

that is why it is up to you to buy from a reputable seller and do your due diligence before committing thousands of dollars

plenty sellers in TRF has a good reputation and references and some of them do know each other well

chances are higher that buyers are barely getting into watches with little to no reference or even no posts in the forum so they tend to protect themselves more

obviously if it's too good to be true and the seller is new, be very apprehensive

it really goes both ways

Last edited:
pimp.gif

I use a winder when I want a 3-4 watch rotation, I just get lazy winding and adjusting dates, most of the time I really just want to throw them on and go.

Just got back from a holiday trip to Europe, which partially revolved about horology. It was watch shopping heaven. Didn't see any BLNRs or any steel Daytonas, but they have everything else in the Daytona lineup there LOL. So many GMT Master IIs on display as well. I wish we had that many choices back here. Anyway, I made a detour to Greenwich to see the GMT line, as well as IWM Duxford to visit the home of the Spitfire. Then got to visit Glashutte (checked out Nomos, as well as the Glashutte watch museum which is run by the Swatch group) -really is in the middle of nowhere :lol: . Fantastic museum, best one I've visited during the trip. Also checked out the IWC museum -got in for free with my Big Pilot on :pimp: . Really wanted that IWC B-Uhr on display :wow:. Got to speak with an actual IWC watchmaker (locked up inside the museum, pretending to work on IWC movements -he said they usually work in cleanrooms, so it was all for show for the guests. I think each IWC watchmaker is under contract to be in there once in a while lol). Tried on a couple of Portuguese Chronographs while I waited for the brown buffalo strap I ordered for my Big Pilot. Shame they use calf skin now -the buffalo leather sure is something else. Pretty cool you could order anything on the catalog from the factory next door. Didn't have enough time to visit the Omega Museum in Biel/Bienne, since it was too far. Got to experience the next best thing instead, by visiting the Omega boutique in Zurich. Got myself a Speedmaster 60th anniversary poster. Almost pulled the trigger on the last remaining CK2998 in the boutique, but the Silver Snoopy Speedmaster caught my eye more. Too bad it wasn't for sale. :\ I know Omega makes too many Speedmasters, but each one is its own kind of awesome. :smile: Got to visit the Beyer Watch Museum in Zurich as well. Right underneath the AD -convenient. Lol. Finally getting to see a vintage Daytona was a letdown. Doesn't look all that special compared to the new ones. Too much hype IMHO. Also got to try on a few of Cartier's offerings -the Tank, I like. Wish it was just a bit smaller. More appealing than the Reverso (the regular one -the Grande Reverso is a different story lol). Speaking of JLCs... that Master Ultra Thin on display had the most stunningly blue dial I've ever seen. Simply gorgoeus.

Tried some new Basel 2017 releases while I was there. Found the Black Bay 41 too out of proportion for my taste; glad I didn't push through with my AD for that one. Didn't find a 38mm El Primero in silver with the updated dial just yet, but it looked pretty cool in blue dial. The Black Bay S&G is quite understated, though (didn't get to take a photo). Price isn't bad, either. The Hamilton Intra-Matic 68 was a bit underwhelming in person, especially for the price. It wears quite large and is surprisingly thick. The Navitimer Rattrapante is a fine timepiece, but a bit too big for me at 45mm. At the end of the trip, got myself a 43mm Navitimer B01 -been wanting one since I got into watches. That's the piece that started my love for fine timepieces. It was more a "when I'd get it" than "if I'd get" it type of thing for me, anyway. Was torn between that or the Polar Explorer II. Oh well. Overall, fantastic AD experiences -especially at the boutiques. They were so knowledgable about their products, and were so kind and accommodating. You could almost turn a blind eye to the eye-watering MSRP prices! :rofl:

Pics:
TESYVtj.jpg

ekrKu0T.jpg

6jePGxf.jpg

GbmIeMt.jpg

4R3lPNH.jpg

NacdM7X.jpg

bY0WQJG.jpg

PuXx9iU.jpg

TeNocsS.jpg

kozMBP7.jpg

tsdIjub.jpg

Lwwp5O0.jpg

xwhL06T.jpg

spy1yLO.jpg

KUr0EYB.jpg

XvAeh5v.jpg

5a4bya4.jpg

Last edited:
The rest of the pics (New Niketalk only lets you upload 20 images) No more resize option too? :\

Jaeger-LeCoultre-Master-Ultra-Thin-Small-second-steel-blue-1.jpg

HZZr7fE.jpg

3554eYT.jpg

KgBJGNl.jpg

VJG6Aqp.jpg

z0TNyoZ.jpg

YBcNkjg.jpg

yKNNplk.jpg

KmoPk1H.jpg

Last edited:
Thinking about getting either an Omega Seamaster Professional or Breitling Colt for my first watch. For my budget however, I'd probably only be able to afford a SMP quartz whereas I could get a Colt auto within my budget. Should I just get the Colt auto ?

Also looking into something cheaper than both the Omega/Breitling such as a Tag.

^ ^ ^
if you like the SMP equally as the Colt, get the Colt but if you prefer the SMP even by just a little, I say save up a bit more and get the SMP

and awesome pics ZK1

Back
Top Bottom