The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

I'm not in the market for any higher end watches right now, but I still enjoy looking at them :lol:

As for myself, I'm currently looking at a Seiko 009 and a Hamilton Field Khaki as my next purchases. I have the classic/cheap Timex Weekender, as well as a Citizen Eco-Drive with a rubber band. I just switched it out for a green/olive NATO strap as well as a black NATO and I love it.

Seiko, Citizen, Orient, etc. are the ones I'll see recommended a lot. Check the first post for more recommendations as well as posting your budget and preferences and I'm sure you can get some ideas.

Weird. We have the same Team Poor taste. Currently have a Timex Weekender and Hammy Khaki Field that I bounce around daily. Also giving a hard look at the Seiko SKX007, not a fan of the 009 "Pepsi" colorway.

Last edited:
I rock Timex too, it's a good grab and go watch.

2ujpm5u.jpg

View media item 1202704
Really love this watch been looking for something like this what do you guys think or say about seiko watches?

And rf thanks for the help I'll give it a quick google I am sure I can throw on another type of band never been a fan of nato straps

Last edited:
Yeah Based, I was originally looking at the 007 and still might get that one, but I'm drawn to the 009 and the blue/red combo.

If your looking at the seiko 007/009, take a look at the orient mako as well. I just picked one up and I've been loving it.

Frederique Constant is far from a fashion watch even though I do prefer if it their offerings has more smaller cases. The design is classic and elegant and they make watches with Swiss in-house movement for under $3k. Even if you go with their quartz watches, you still get very good value for the price.

The slimline moonphase that retails for $3700 (can be had for a good discount online) is just a beauty and it has an open caseback with a very well decorated in-house movement. Very hard to complain about that! Seriously, the white version is close to 50% off at Joma right now.
I just wish it was more like 38mm and then it'll be instacop!
4_FC_705C4S4.jpg

FREDERIQUE_CONSTANT_SLIMLINE_MOONPHASE_MOVEMENT4.jpg

FREDERIQUE_CONSTANT_SLIMLINE_MOONPHASE_DIAL4.jpg

FREDERIQUE_CONSTANT_SLIMLINE_MOONPHASE_DETAIL1.jpg

FREDERIQUE_CONSTANT_SLIMLINE_MOONPHASE_WRIST3.jpg

Last edited:
Thread is too high end for the average consumer haha.

I feel good changing the straps on an older black face watch I had. It was a Guess watch my mom got me a few years ago, black face, silver dial and a canvas strap. Had a new battery placed and also changed it to black leather straps. Looks and feels like a whole new watch, from casual to dressy. All for $30 too. #budgetballin

View media item 1202704
Really love this watch been looking for something like this what do you guys think or say about seiko watches?

And rf thanks for the help I'll give it a quick google I am sure I can throw on another type of band never been a fan of nato straps

Want to know whats so ironic/crazy, I was just gifted this watch 2 days ago, a vintage one off the wrist of a service worker in my condo building... he knew I loved watches and wanted to give it to me because I have helped him out so much. I did not want to take it but he insisted !

I love it, and I guess why he gave it to me as I've commented on his before.

Its a very cool watch , and sentimental now.

Frederique Constant is far from a fashion watch even though I do prefer if it their offerings has more smaller cases. The design is classic and elegant and they make watches with Swiss in-house movement for under $3k. Even if you go with their quartz watches, you still get very good value for the price.

The slimline moonphase that retails for $3700 (can be had for a good discount online) is just a beauty and it has an open caseback with a very well decorated in-house movement. Very hard to complain about that! Seriously, the white version is close to 50% off at Joma right now.
I just wish it was more like 38mm and then it'll be instacop!
4_FC_705C4S4.jpg

FREDERIQUE_CONSTANT_SLIMLINE_MOONPHASE_MOVEMENT4.jpg

FREDERIQUE_CONSTANT_SLIMLINE_MOONPHASE_DIAL4.jpg

FREDERIQUE_CONSTANT_SLIMLINE_MOONPHASE_DETAIL1.jpg

FREDERIQUE_CONSTANT_SLIMLINE_MOONPHASE_WRIST3.jpg

I'd rock the hell out of that, wow. Beautifully crafted

View media item 1202704

Want to know whats so ironic/crazy, I was just gifted this watch 2 days ago, a vintage one off the wrist of a service worker in my condo building... he knew I loved watches and wanted to give it to me because I have helped him out so much. I did not want to take it but he insisted !

This is dope. I hope to pass a watch on to someone one day. I pray that they take the gesture just as serious.

that is so dope that someone outside of family would do that for you, still have a few watches my pop handed down to me most don't work but I can never part with them .

this lil old jewelry shop in my city.......this guy has a very nice gold rolex posted up for you to see as you walk by his store front

im gonna talk to him an get a pic this week. i assume its pre owned, noticed it after i left the lunch sport across from his store

Anyone have opinion on better buy Pelagos vs. PO (42mm)? Looks like it comes down to specs vs style

Bout time I finally pull the trigger on an upgrade, putting off the Rolex until I get through B-school, at which point I'll replace or keep this watch, not really sure yet

Last edited:
Anyone have opinion on better buy Pelagos vs. PO (42mm)? Looks like it comes down to specs vs style

Bout time I finally pull the trigger on an upgrade, putting off the Rolex until I get through B-school, at which point I'll replace or keep this watch, not really sure yet

The two looks rather different to me, though both are 42mm divers, the PO is a bit more sleeker and smoother while the Pelagos looks more rugged with ti's overall matte finish. Does that make sense? It's like the PO is made for a city sleeker that goes to a corporate job and wears suits at times while the Pelagos is for those that live in the Mad Max world?

Scratch that, if you contact them they said they will ship to the US but can only accept bank transfer payments. You do have to pay duties but it seems they are willing to lower it a bit so they charge you less. Some Datejusts are going for 20% off (because they remove VAT too), which is a lot for a brand new.

You can calculate the duties here: http://www.dutycalculator.com/new-import-duty-and-tax-calculation/

You can only calculate about 4-5 times before they ask you to pay so use it wisely. In general though Rolex duty fees cost 6% plus processing fees. The lower the declared value (which they seem like they would to some extent) the lower your duty fees.

Now the best way to buy is if you have the time to fly over there and buy in person, the more you buy the better too as no import and VAT is removed.

Back
Top Bottom