The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

Not worth the hassle to order from that UK site. And if your AD isn't discounting something like the BLNR, find a new AD. Right now I'm seeing them for sale in Canada for around $8,500 all day long. And to think I almost bit the bullet and paid full retail when it was first released.

I need to get my ish together and buy an LV pronto.

Availability on Rolexes are regional, it depends on your area/location and discount is relative to availability.

Here in SoCal, BLNRs are sitting so discounts can be had but Daytonas are scarce (in big cities like NYC and Miami). In smaller cities, the BLNR has a wait list for BLNRs while Daytonas are sitting on the case waiting to be sold so discount is harder to haggle on the Batman.

Rolex has restricted ADs from shipping out of state and most will not sell you a brand new Rolex unless you are physically in the store. Your best bet at getting a good discount is the forums/grey market sellers and even those guys aren't letting the BLNR go for too much off retail, you save extra on the tax but the percentage off from retail isn't as high as other models.

^ I would never buy from an AD. The premium you pay for the AD "experience" (if you can call it that) isn't worth the savings you miss out on when buying from a grey market seller. I saved close to 25% going this route.

Everyone is different, though, and I know some people prefer the white-glove treatment as opposed to the brown man treatment (UPS delivery guy).

I mean it really depends.

There are ADs who could save you the same amount a grey market store, I got my IWCs with equal discount as grey markets and got a free winder with it. I could probably get 30%-40% off a Speedmaster if I really wanted to take my time with the AD too snd grey markets likely would not sell for that low on the moon watch.

With Rolex, it's different just because it is very sought after. But in some cases, like the Daytona, you'll see Jomashop and AuthenticWatches got them for over retail while an AD will charge you just retail. Now if you're outside of CA you save tax from AW and if you're outside of NYC you save tax from Joma but those aren't always on stock from them. BLNR is actually over retail at Joma too iirc.

Now forums sellers are the best bargain out there and you can ask them to look for what you want but it isn't always guaranteed. As you can read in this thread, it really is by location and some places are getting better deals in their ADs than forums grey sellers: http://rolexforums.com/showthread.php?t=375161&highlight=blnr

You really have to gauge really the risk and rewards and discount. Grey market can be very attractive but in case of online shops that do not provide manufacturers warranty, then it's fine if your watch do not break. Now Rolex are very robust and seldom has problems but it isn't perfect and if you happen to be that one person who gets a damaged one then it could be a problem. Rolex movements are so common that work on them are easy but it's really about trusting Jomas watch experts versus Rolex Service Center experts. So again it is up to the buyer.

There's also the ease of service there, buy from Joam and you'd have to deal with their customer service and shipping the watch. Buy from an AD and you can easily walk to the shop and they'll take care of it, hassle free. Plus you get to have a relationship started. Again it is up to the buyer to see if that kind of service is worth a few extra hundreds or thousands. Some may not but to others they do. There is an upside and downside to both.

Last edited:
I see the pros and cons on both sides for sure. Definitely depends on personal preference as well as budget, grey market will definitely save you thousands but without box and paperwork, so whatever the buyer is comfortable with.

My formula 1 that I picked up last year...hoping to get a max bill for my birthday this time 
embarassed.gif

I see the pros and cons on both sides for sure. Definitely depends on personal preference as well as budget, grey market will definitely save you thousands but without box and paperwork, so whatever the buyer is comfortable with.

You still get a box and paperwork if you buy grey market, you just won't have your name on the warranty card. Either way, different strokes...

DavidSW could actually sells new Rolexes with stickers still attached and get you a valid warranty card with it, not all the times but he does sell them like that. I think the ADs he gets his watches from just stamps it but leaves the name and date blank and he can just fills it in with his buyers info.

You still get a box and paperwork if you buy grey market, you just won't have your name on the warranty card. Either way, different strokes...

Maybe I misunderstand what grey market is then, I was under the assumption grey market were any sales outside of an authorized dealer.

In essence it is. Most grey markets will include the box and papers though but will not give you the warranty card because it isn't stamped anyways and they wouldn't want you to try and send your watch to the manufacturer thinking you got warranty on it. Plus that could be traced back to the original AD that sold it to the grey market perhaps?

Thats what I'm saying and I have been places that sell without box or paperwork so thats what I figured grey market, and from some sales I've seen on Rolexforums, online stores like Bobs etc, it isn't strange to not get paperwork.

DavidSW could actually sells new Rolexes with stickers still attached and get you a valid warranty card with it, not all the times but he does sell them like that. I think the ADs he gets his watches from just stamps it but leaves the name and date blank and he can just fills it in with his buyers info.

That's what I got with my Sub which I bought from him.

But I've bought grey market and it's always come with box and papers but no warranty card. Which the dealer keeps.

And my understanding is that if you have any issues you send your watch back to the grey market dealer and they deal with everything via the warranty on their end.

Last edited:
And my understanding is that if you have any issues you send your watch back to the grey market dealer and they deal with everything via the warranty on their end.

They do and most likely, they'll just have their watchmakers try and fix it.

I am not sure if DavidSW has a warranty on the non-warranty watches he sells though like Joma does? He stands by his product but if you buy that didn't have any cards stamped, I think it is like buying used and all cost of any problem is with you. Not 100% sure on how that works though.

thoughts on the hamilton ventura xxl?

want to get one for daily wear but would it look weird in a corporate environment?

The amount of things NT puts me on.. :smh:

Never thought watches were cool until I entered this thread... Now I'm looking into owning one. :smh:

thoughts on the hamilton ventura xxl?
want to get one for daily wear but would it look weird in a corporate environment?

Watch is nice in a ridiculous way. :lol: If that makes any sense.

I'd wear one if I were a Power Ranger. :rofl:

I own the regular Hamilton Ventura, definitely an underrated peice. Ventura XXL looks nice as well, plus it's not so common compared to other watches.

Back
Top Bottom