The Timepiece Thread vol: READ THE 1st POST!!!

^ what model oris is that?

strap looks good with the watch though, hope you get a new one soon

and that's the Atelier Calibre 111 iirc

Thanks. Yes, it's the Oris Artelier Calibre 111. The black alligator strap definitely makes it look formal than the grey alligator strap it came with.

What's does Oris charge for an alligator strap

I got quoted $300 for the strap with the deployment clasp included (not much difference vs. getting only the straps). Went with that option since I got a pretty great deal with the local AD when I picked it up to begin with, so it doesn't hurt the wallet as much.

The lug width was rather odd -23mm. A similar-looking (albeit at a narrower 22mm) Hadley-Roma alligator strap can be had for much cheaper, by the way.

Honestly the damage to the stitching isn't too obvious. I'd keep it if they offered a discount on it. :nerd: Hopefully I'll hear from Oris soon.
View media item 1972150
View media item 1972151

View media item 1972152

Last edited:
Hey great to hear from you!! Things are good. Family and work keeping me busy. Hope things are well with you. If you want to get into Rolexes the Submariner is classic and usually most people's first.

Things are good... Same here, work and family take up most of my time.
I know I'm going to get heat for this but submariners and GMT masters don't do anything for me... I prefer the Daytona and datejust

I forget which it is but I think it's a DJII 41mm?

If so, about $7,150 iirc.

$6,600 if it's the 36mm.

I am not sure how Costco's warranty is these days but if it's like before where you can return 10 year old stuff no questions asked then it'll be a good buy.

That is maybe the third one I saw between 4-5 locations I've visited and I usually go once or twice a month so it isn't very common. I've seen much more Tag and Breitling and some Omegas.

Daytonas and Datejusts are great watches too!

A guy on the Rolex forum posted a new BLRO for $25,999 at Costco, so I believe they are selling around 30% off retail at Costcos.

Can any of you tell me what the difference between buying a Rolex from and Authorized Dealer vs Grey Market? 

Fiancee found an AD that would sell the watch i wanted for about $400 more than what the Grey Market offered. 

Grey market sounded kinda shady from what she told me...the guy had the Rolex authenticity cards but had some words in a different language. From what i understood, the watch would not be registered under my name and the warranty would only last 2 (or 5 i forget) years from the date of purchase which was back in July 2015.

Is there something fishy going on with this guy? 

I'm supposed to go see the AD with fiancee tmrw so ill see what they say and report back. 

If the difference is only $400, I would go with the AD since peace of mind, to me, is worth much more than $400. That said, I bought my Rolex from a grey market dealer for the simple fact that he needed to move it ASAP and I saved nearly $2k vs. my AD.

It's not fishy, it is normal for grey market to get their stock from out of the country. But it's really all about reputation, make sure the store is trustworthy.

Authorized dealer = warranty through Rolex = anything breaks, you send them to Rolex and they fix it

Grey market = sellers warranty = anything happens then you send them to the store and they either fix it or send it to an independent watchmaker

Then there is also Grey Market like DavidSW that isn't authorized but he has connects that he gets the warranty card stamped and the warranty becomes legit. It's not always offered with all his watches but I think that is the case in most brand new watches he sells.

But yeah for a $400 difference just go AD, hell I'll haggle the hell out of that $400 from the AD and they might just comply. Plus I know most do not care much for it but I do like seeing my name on the warranty card :lol:

I agree I prefer to have my name on the warranty card as well.

The warranty follows the watch, not the name on the card.

For $400 I'd go with the AD. I prefer buying from them because of security issues and building relationships. Sometimes I'll stop by and just talk shop. Unfortunately that usually results in me plotting on buying another watch.

Thinking about trading my Sub and Coke GMT for one piece, currently looking at the JC Deepsea and other Subs but haven't made up my mind yet. I really want a black/gold Sub or GMT but  ]I'm not of fan of the two toned bracelets that come on those.

This is BB for the unaware. 

Last edited:
deposit is down for BLNR from an AD and picking it up later this week. The sales rep wouldn't budge on the price but managed to get tax waived. ecstatic af right now. first rolex piece...no...first luxury watch ever. anything i should expect? 

Nice.

I've been doing a ton of reading on rolex right now - even signed up on Rolex Forum's to further my knowledge.

Very intrigued with a new Sub and contemplating going no date to keep up with the heritage. Originally was going to move on a GMT II, but I just don't love the bezel. A bit too busy for me relative to my profession.

When I make partner, moving to a day-date though...

Nice.

I've been doing a ton of reading on rolex right now - even signed up on Rolex Forum's to further my knowledge.

Very intrigued with a new Sub and contemplating going no date to keep up with the heritage. Originally was going to move on a GMT II, but I just don't love the bezel. A bit too busy for me relative to my profession.

When I make partner, moving to a day-date though...

Why wait.

I see people who work retail (Costco) wear a Day Date II and some other guy at Costco running carts wearing a Panerai.

Back
Top Bottom