The Tragedy of Allen Iverson.

My favorite basketball player of all time
frown.gif

Originally Posted by yelloo

Damn I want AI to come back to the league and perform well again

i want the same saw him at walters "atl heads know what im talking bout" and he gotta lot of work to do you cant just be chillen on some smoking drinking steez and come back to the league. ppl who hating on him he is a shoot from the hip keep it 100 kinda guy, which is bad when youre in the corporate world

Originally Posted by TraSoul82

Originally Posted by red mpls

TraSoul82 wrote:
That was the only thing I had a problem with.� You initially said that you were presenting facts when you weren't in that case at all; it was pure speculation.� Even in the context that you're using it now, i.e., missing games instead of retiring.� But now you seem to be saying that he missed games because he just couldn't handle playing night in and night out for a losing team, not that he missed games because he consciously wanted to keep his career win percentage above .500.� I would agree with the former but have heard no support from anywhere for the latter...

I mean, the man clearly had some issues, including an unwillingness to follow rules at times and an inability to embrace a diminishing role on a team.� I just felt like you were really reaching with the "all-time record below .500" thing.� AI's done enough on his own to incriminate himself on a lot of things, but I don't think that's one of them.
So basically, if I have a theory to go with facts I can't say it? Not happening.

Find a time where I said the "sub-.500" thing without noting it was a theory. And this is my last response. You seem hell-bent on having the final word so the floor is yours...

Did you even read my last post?
laugh.gif

You admitted to being confused when you first posted your "theory" about exactly when you were referring to (i.e., not retirement). You said AI fans couldn't "get back to you" and disprove your theory. Then you posted an article that said he missed games because he was told he wasn't starting, which in no way validated your claim. Finally, you were confused in your last post about whether you think AI missed games on losing teams because he simply couldn't take losing or whether it was to protect his all-time win-loss percentage.

Do you not see how it appears that you're grasping at straws and don't really seem to know what you're talking about?

And I just saw this thread bumped and hadn't even checked to see that you responded to my previous post prior to today. So much for your "final word" theory
ohwell.gif

And you can say whatever you want homie. I never stated otherwise.

Originally Posted by Dric

Allen Iverson's life is not a tragedy. Tragic events happened on September 11. Iverson had a definite say so to where his life has gone. I don't feel sorry nor am i shocked. He can still get his life together, but he needs to grow up.

THIS

Originally Posted by xbiker47

Allen Iverson's life is not a tragedy. Tragic events happened on September 11. Iverson had a definite say so to where his life has gone. I don't feel sorry nor am i shocked. He can still get his life together, but he needs to grow up.

THIS

Originally Posted by Da R Entertainment

Originally Posted by xbiker47

THIS

indifferent.gif

the word "tragedy" is being used in context with someone's (in this case Iverson) inevitable downfall like the tragedy of Oedipus or the tragedy of Othello.

/\ I'm just trying to figure out if dudes think it makes them look cool or in intelligent to come in here repeatedly with this "Good for him...I don't feel sorry for him" tip.

That *@$% is pathetic. I'm far from perfect but I don't like to see anyone fall. Just because the %#*+% had money don't mean his life was perfect.

Updated: Fri., Mar. 2, 2012, 5:18 AM

[h1]Iverson isn’t ‘broke’ down[/h1]
By PETER VECSEY

Last Updated:5:18 AM, March 2, 2012

Posted:12:42 AM, March 2, 2012

Last month, when a Georgia judge seized the bank account of Allen Iverson in order to pay out a substantial debt for an unpaid jewelry bill amounting to $859,896.46, the mass media assumed it meant he was broke. Reports claimed he’d gutted $150 million in earnings over his 14-year career.

From what I’m told, the number is more like $250 million. Let’s not forget A.I’s numerous endorsements, specifically Reebok.

However, hold the bankruptcy proceedings. He is far from insolvent, at least in the real world, if not in harmony with his “nothing in moderation’’ lifestyle. Someone who cared a great deal for Iverson and grasped the extent of his habits, loyalties and generosity protected him to some degree from financial ruination, at 36, at any rate.

A person with a firm grip on the situation informs me Iverson has an account worth $32 million, a principal he is prohibited from touching until 55. In the meantime, it feeds him $1 million annually.

At 45, Iverson is eligible to start drawing on an NBA pension that maxes out at 10 years of active duty, or take whatever’s there as lump sum. He will be entitled roughly to $8,000 per month ($800 per x 10).

If at all possible, Iverson will issue a restraining order against himself until he’s 62 or so. At that time, I’m told, his lump sum will be between $1.5 million and $1.8 million, or he can elect to take monthly checks of approximately $14,000 per.

Busted or “in the chips,’’ it’s distressing we’re driven to dissect Iverson’s fiscal fitness and downright depressing we’re discussing his career in the past tense.

Was Iverson really that bad an hombre for the whole NBA to turn its back on such a crowd-pleasing talent? I can name 10 teams without exhaling that would be better off with Iverson starting or subbing. What’s more, their fan bases would get a whole more entertainment bang for their misspent buck.

i blame Ive for dudes like Telfair n Dejuan Wagner thinkin they was comin in the league n were gunna jus shake ppl night in and night out
laugh.gif

Iverson was the business... even tho I never really liked him (prob jus b/c everyone else was on his jock tho
laugh.gif
)

Tried to tell yall he aint broke. He's just a media scapegoat, all the bad press is blackballing him imo.

What up Dior Paint. I don't doubt that ai had someone set him up to be financially secure & yes, most people forgot about his pension but you're citing peter vecsey who never reported info that was accurate. Why do you think he never got picked up again by anyone after NBC lost the NBA? I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth...

Instead of saying "Wow, that was smart of Iverson to trust in his friend (probably manager Gary Moore) and set that money aside for later" folks will probably say "it's a shame he can't keep track of his own money"
30t6p3b.gif

Originally Posted by illwill24

Tried to tell yall he aint broke. He's just a media scapegoat, all the bad press is blackballing him imo.

still, he is nothing but a selfish guy and player. cause he wouldnt even return to the league if he wasnt promised a starting role. how the mighty have fallen.. i would've never expected that steve nash would be more successful than iverson, marbury and antoine walker.

Originally Posted by jlm83jays

Iverson at GTOWN.... UNREAL>......

So much fun to watch...
I still have the '96 Big East finals on a VHS tape. I can't bring myself to throw it away. That Hoya team with ai, Page, Othella, & Jerome Williams shoulda beat the Huskies but Jesus came through with that crazy shot coming down the lane....

Back
Top Bottom