The Ultimate Football Thread 2013-2014 Vol. 4 EPL, La Liga, Bundesliga, Serie A etc

It's like Arsenal, they only have like 6 England born players on the first team right?
only 4
Walcott, Oxlade-Chamberlain, Wilshere, Gibbs

Edit: 5, forgot about Jenkinson

The reason England's national team is so booty, is because a majority of the players don't play together.
huh? you mean play together in one club?

Last edited:
England's media also doesn't do English players any favors. They're so quick to try and find the next great.

I remember when Bale (who I believe is a great player) a season ago when he was on fire, suddenly UK media was talking about him being Ronaldo & Messi level. He's a damn good player, but he's no where near Ronaldo or Messi.

They consistently do this, (latest, see Towsend at Spurs), and when players don't live up to the outrageous expectations, they're deemed flops. Which doesn't help players confidence either.

This coupled with traditional English play being outdated (long ball forward and hope for a header), and as Jada said so few players actually playing together cause the league is mainly foreigners is just a recipe for disaster.

Raheem Sterling = Baby Pele

nthat.gif

I kid, i kid

England's media also doesn't do English players any favors. They're so quick to try and find the next great.

I remember when Bale (who I believe is a great player) a season ago when he was on fire, suddenly UK media was talking about him being Ronaldo & Messi level. He's a damn good player, but he's no where near Ronaldo or Messi.

They consistently do this, (latest, see Towsend at Spurs), and when players don't live up to the outrageous expectations, they're deemed flops. Which doesn't help players confidence either.

This coupled with traditional English play being outdated (long ball forward and hope for a header), and as Jada said so few players actually playing together cause the league is mainly foreigners is just a recipe for disaster.

That is so true. They have starlets in the media before these dudes even become regulars.

But I don't buy that "they don't play together excuse". That's nonsense to me. Plenty of teams have won world cups and there players haven't played together. Plenty of countries can use that same excuse and they still do way better than England. Not buying it.

They need to let all these old players die too, don't need old as dirt Ferdinand and Lampard on the Squad. Not to mention Terry, Cole, Gerrard, Carrick, Barry, Young etc

Last edited:
They need to let all these old players die too, don't need old as dirt Ferdinand and Lampard on the Squad. Not to mention Terry, Cole, Gerrard, Carrick, Barry, Young etc

Disagree. Dude is still one of Englands most consistent performers. He sucks for Chelsea right now cause he's playing out of his best position

Last edited:
WC 2014 all eastern time

In the group stage, over the first two legs, match days will play out in three slots, at 12 noon, 3 p.m, and 6 p.m. nearly every day. Perfect timing for long lunches, watching streaming games at your desk in the afternoon, and after-work bar visits.
Over the final two days of the group stage, when all four teams in a group play simultaneously, two matches each will be played at 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.
That schedule extends through the knockout stages, with the Round of 16 and the quarterfinals seeing matches every day at 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.
The two semifinals will be played at 4 p.m., and the final on Sunday, July 12, at 3 p.m.

I don't think you guys are even close to understanding the problems with football in England & it's national team. First things first, England is some 20 maybe 30 years behind the likes of Germany & Spain. Both the Spanish FA & DFB have spent a lot of money & time into rebuilding the football infrastructure which is something England is just now recognizing it has to do.

One of the biggest changes in Spain came from Cruyff at Barca. Prior to his arrival, La Masia would only allow players based on physical potential not technical ability. He of course changed all that causing a huge paradigm shift in footballing philosophy which led to likes of Pep (the player), Xavi, Iniesta, & La Pulga.

He also knew that some of these smaller players weren't physical enough to outmuscle or dominate opponents so a possession based philosophy began with Cruyff's Barca sides & that continued to grow under the likes of van Gaal & Rijkaard until the culmination of tiki taka in the mid 00s as popularized by Pep's Barca sides. This was then copied by many La Liga sides & then brought over to other leagues throughout Europe by disciples of Cruyff & Barca.

The other thing that is missed in England is it's multiculturalism or more specifically not taking advantage of what now makes up it's national identity. In addition to the money & infrastructure Germany invested into youth football, Germany took advantage of its multicultural citizens in the late 90s early 00s.

They actively recruited & accepted players from their immigrant communities which is something England has been woefully inept at. Germany has players of Polish decent in the likes of Klose & Podolski & then you have players like Ozil, Gundogan, & Khedira who are of Turkish decent. It's kind of bizarre that England hasn't taken advantage of this really.

The other problem I see is that young players in other countries are cultivated & properly trained. In England, they're rushed through. When you see young players like Draxler, Goetze, Kroos, Isco, & Thiago, they're so much more polished technically then their English counter parts like Zaha, Sterling, & Barkley. I'd even say they're light years ahead of their English counter parts.

England's footballing problems are extremely deep rooted & I'm afraid the FA chairman really doesn't understand that if he's still blaming foreign players in the Prem & continuing to allow Hodgson manage the English side.

I tried to make this short & sweet so some more detail that should be in some of these lines might've been missed.

edit - Let me also add to the discussion of the tactical play of the 3 Lions. The Prem is known for it's "fast" & direct approach so why do the 3 Lions always look slow & laborious reduced to counter attacking & then hoping the long ball is placed right?

Last edited:
WC 2014 all eastern time

In the group stage, over the first two legs, match days will play out in three slots, at 12 noon, 3 p.m, and 6 p.m. nearly every day. Perfect timing for long lunches, watching streaming games at your desk in the afternoon, and after-work bar visits.
Over the final two days of the group stage, when all four teams in a group play simultaneously, two matches each will be played at 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.
That schedule extends through the knockout stages, with the Round of 16 and the quarterfinals seeing matches every day at 12 p.m. and 4 p.m.
The two semifinals will be played at 4 p.m., and the final on Sunday, July 12, at 3 p.m.

I will request the 12th off NOW!

WC 2014 all eastern time

sounds better then last WC and the next 2
eyes.gif
they were at murderous times for me in Cali last one. I mean i was at the one in Germany for '06 so obviously played at night but remembering to be 5 in morning with guests already at my place watching the opening Mexico/South Africa game
sick.gif
thats why i missed most of the games last WC.

once Qatar hits its probably gonna be a full 12 hour difference.
sick.gif

Back
Top Bottom