The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters
Lets say this trilogy sells very well, will this be a model that artist will replicate, like the Weeknd's next album will he switch to a traditional album release or go with "mixtapes" culminating in an album release combining all of them?

Lets say this trilogy sells very well, will this be a model that artist will replicate, like the Weeknd's next album will he switch to a traditional album release or go with "mixtapes" culminating in an album release combining all of them?

The "mixtape repackaged for retail" model has already been done multiple times.

Pusha is the first that comes to mind w/ Fear of God mixtape repackaged for retail w/ a few tracks as Fear of God 2

Such a unique situation, I doubt it'll be that simple to remodel. It takes a loyal, loyal fanbase to buy an album that came out for free a year ago - The Weeknd should have a strong enough following to succeed with it, not many others will.

Think of how many hot mixtapes are loved than forgotten about weeks later.

Such a unique situation, I doubt it'll be that simple to remodel. It takes a loyal, loyal fanbase to buy an album that came out for free a year ago - The Weeknd should have a strong enough following to succeed with it, not many others will.

QFT

Really though i think it all just comes down to making exceptional music. If just one of these mixtapes was terrible i think a lot of people would just download the extra songs and call it a day. But due to the superiority of the product we feel like we owe him something. Most mixtapes are good but if some said would you pay $10 for the last 3 mixtapes this person made you would say....well really only like 4 of the 8 songs are good on tape one....and 6 of the 10 are good on tape 2 etc....na i am good with free.

Only artist that i would say could pull this off would be Big Krit....again because of the superiority of his mixtapes. I have to honestly feel bad to pay for it. Like you gave me so much enjoyment with your free music and i gave you nothing in return other then the t-shirt i bought and the concert tickets. I would like to repay you for all of the enjoyment you gave to me.

Last edited:

I doubt it depends on that, I'm pretty sure this will be the format only for new artists going major who wanna cash in. Im surprised A$AP Rocky didnt chop off a couple tracks from LiveLoveA$AP, throw in Goldie, and put it in stores. The question is will the artist make their album better than their mixtape, Im still surprised Tyler didn't put Bastard in stores

The lyrics to Lonely Star are just :x :x :x

Thursday is my favorite out of the 3 as you can tell by my AVY.. Has the 2 of my least favorite songs from the trilogy, but I'd put Lonely Star, Thursday, Gone, Rolling Stone, & Birds 1 & 2 up against the top 6 from the other 2 tapes.

The lyrics to Lonely Star are just
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

Thursday is my favorite out of the 3 as you can tell by my AVY.. Has the 2 of my least favorite songs from the trilogy, but I'd put Lonely Star, Thursday, Gone, Rolling Stone, & Birds 1 & 2 up against the top 6 from the other 2 tapes.
bruh u dont like "Heaven or Las Vegas"?

Wasn't guess who's back a mixtape? I remember 50 dropping the physical of it.

My fave tape is probably Thursday. But I can't even really say it's my fave because each of the tapes are great when I'm in a different mood. It's nearly impossible to rate this man's catalog :lol:

Hopefully the trilogy is released on itunes, I'm not gonna do **** with a physical copy.

The lyrics to Lonely Star are just
sick.gif
sick.gif
sick.gif

people sleep on thursday..

it actually took me a while to appreciate it but now it's also my favorite, which is the reason why i'm gonna cop the trilogy so that i can have the.. 

remastered version of thursday.

Wasn't guess who's back a mixtape? I remember 50 dropping the physical of it.

My fave tape is probably Thursday. But I can't even really say it's my fave because each of the tapes are great when I'm in a different mood. It's nearly impossible to rate this man's catalog :lol:

Hopefully the trilogy is released on itunes, I'm not gonna do **** with a physical copy.

Yea Guess Who's Back & Guess Who's Back Again had physical copies I believe

I think l like Thursday the most because of the voice of the girl, especially when she's talking on lonely star

The only song I don't like on Thursday is life of the party

Saw him last night opening for Florence. Here's a video of lonely star I recorded. Place was barely half full during the weeknd's set but he put on a good show regardless albeit somewhat short

Back
Top Bottom