The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 41.8%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 19 20.9%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.5%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.6%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.7%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.7%

• Total voters
Glad Abel aint a follower. Dude makes his own moves and didn't want to get bent over by that clown Birdman
OVO is under Warner/Atlantic . . . Birdman has no legal affiliation with the OVO label.
Birdman doesn't touch any of Drake's money? I'm not familiar with the situation
Birdman gets part of Drake's money (album sales, touring revenue, merchandise, endorsements) as apart of his deal as an artist under YM on Universal . . .

But he has nothing to do with Drake being a label owner of OVO at Warner/Atlantic

Right. So Birdman would be in Abel's pocket too. Again Abel owes Drake some but not anything like a contract. Not much more to be said....

:lol: @ that tweet

something like "You don't owe me a thank you, you owe me a favor"

shows what type of dude Drake is. hes that friend that does you something you think is a favor and expects payment :smh:

Y'all gotta stop taking sides. Y'all don't know what he might have told Drake then renigged on.

End of the day he got a history with stiffing people and leading people on then jumping ship last minute.

Just enjoy the music

Last edited:
Sad,was expecting way more music from the two.
tired.gif

Whatever happened to that producer,Illangelo,I think???????

I guess i am in the minority but I don't think the weeknd is "that" popular yet. I heard about him from NT when HOB dropped.....and basically had no idea he was affiliated with drake until i heard drake on The Zone. So i don't think Drakes cosign was really that big of a deal. It was nice....but dudes music to me has always spoke for itself.

Drake on some "i put you on, so i deserve to dictate your career" type steez. Man ShutTFU. Abel has real fans...some loyal die hard fans....if sides have to be picked....XO > OVO all day.

Conveniently enough...i can just listen to both of their musics enjoy them and not care :lol:

Sad,was expecting way more music from the two.
tired.gif

Whatever happened to that producer,Illangelo,I think???????
Hes working with him on his next project. There have been a few producers who have done work on the trilogy with him.

Last edited:
I guess i am in the minority but I don't think the weeknd is "that" popular yet. I heard about him from NT when HOB dropped.....and basically had no idea he was affiliated with drake until i heard drake on The Zone. So i don't think Drakes cosign was really that big of a deal. It was nice....but dudes music to me has always spoke for itself.

Drake on some "i put you on, so i deserve to dictate your career" type steez. Man ShutTFU. Abel has real fans...some loyal die hard fans....if sides have to be picked....XO > OVO all day.

Conveniently enough...i can just listen to both of their musics enjoy them and not care :lol:

personally the fact that the weeknd isnt "that popular" is better for him. THE LAST thing any fan of the weeknd wants is this dude to go mainstream. artists typically say F it and put out generic catchy **** that gets mad airplay but is meh. The fact that he has kept to his own style on his own terms, it keeps his music genuine.

So far the weeknd, has really stuck to doing his own thing, and its paying off. Recent collabs, the few ones that are there, haven't been impressive honestly, word to that weeknd/khalifa gabich (song is better with 2 weeknd verses and no wiz). The last thing i wanna hear is the weeknd collabin with lil wayne or 50 cent or jeezy or worse...GUCCI :x

personally the fact that the weeknd isnt "that popular" is better for him. THE LAST thing any fan of the weeknd wants is this dude to go mainstream. artists typically say F it and put out generic catchy **** that gets mad airplay but is meh. The fact that he has kept to his own style on his own terms, it keeps his music genuine.

This x2.

I like being part of the few people around my way that loves his music.

^ Drake gotta stop acting so damn sensitive. :smh: :lol:

Nah . . . I can kind of understand his beef . . .​

It wasn't just like with Rocky where he tweeted the Peso video and then Rocky blew up on his own . . .This was different . . . Drake really gave Weeknd a heavy co-sign . . . you might not have heard about him directly from the OVO blog . . . but I can promise you the outlet that you found Weeknd at, found him as a result of Drake heavily co-signing him . . . And then for dude to go and sign with Universal instead of Drake's label behind his back . . .​

Weeknd doesn't owe his career to Drake . . . because The Weeknd still has to make good music on his own at the end of the day . . . but Drake's co-sign made it aloooot easier for Weeknd to blow up . . .​

A co-sign will only get you so far. Drake has nothing to do with The Weekend's music, dude is where he's at right now cuz he kills everything he touches. Drake definitely helped but that doesn't mean he owes him the favor of signing to his label. It's a business and he felt signing to Drake's label wasn't the best business decision. Now we don't know what type of conversations that had, if somebody didn't keep their word that's a different story but right now Drake is looking real soft again.

And ain't nobody tryna hear The Weeknd doing tracks with Wayne, Nicki, Tyga, Gudda Gudda, Lil Twist etc . I guarantee you Birdman would've found some way to get some singles outta Weeknd. Blee dat.

Last edited:
Word to Drake and Money to blow

"We gon be alright if we up Drake on erry hook"

They would have tried to hor Abel out.

If the story is what's being reported, The Weeknd should have told Drake, first. That's really all.

Past that, Drake was a fan with influence. They weren't friends or anything like that. Drake was always pushing the OVOXO ****. The Weeknd has been all about XO from the jump. It doesn't really surprise me.

He didn't ask for Drake's co-sign. Drake liked it, saw the kid was from the same city and decided to co-sign. He jumped on. And that's fine. But, I don't owe you anything for something I didn't ask for.

As The Weeknd said "thanks for all that, i'ma run with all that..."

Aubrey acting extra sensitive over this whole label situation... While he gave Abel a cosign, Abel was doing just fine before that putting out quality music & building a loyal fan base (this has all been discussed). But since Aubrey gave him that cosign even while Abel was building his own buzz & had his own lane, he feels like he's owed something? Says a lot that he expects something back from Abel after "looking out for him."

What's more ironic is that Aubrey has the nerve to talk about real friendship. Your homie got a deal he was comfortable with instead of signing with the one that you coincidentally own and profit from. Some real friend.

Y'all gotta stop taking sides. Y'all don't know what he might have told Drake then renigged on.

End of the day he got a history with stiffing people and leading people on then jumping ship last minute.

Just enjoy the music

This, a lot of y'all acting like you really know their situation.

Can someone explain to me how his producer was done dirty? At the time, all of the Weeknd's music was pretty mysterious. The people who really dug knew who was behind the music but besides that, it wasn't an official album so there weren't credits or anything like that. It sounds like Jeremy Rose wanted more control over Abel's music than he was willing to give. They stopped working together and Abel continued making that crack - so I'm lost on why he's so hurt about the situation. He made 2.5 beats and may have come up with the idea to sing about getting high and drugs. :nerd: :nerd:

I guess he just wants his recognition for the tracks he made. I mean, in an industry where getting your name out there is vital to your success, I could see why dude felt as of he got screwed over since no one really knows that he had a hand (however small) in the success of the weeknd.

Back
Top Bottom