The Weeknd Thread ( "The Dawn FM" OUT NOW)

Favorite Weeknd Project?

• House of Balloons

Votes: 38 42.2%
  • Thursday

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Echoes of Silence

Votes: 4 4.4%
  • Kiss Land

Votes: 18 20.0%
  • Beauty Behind The Madness

Votes: 5 5.6%
  • Starboy

Votes: 6 6.7%
  • My Dear Melancholy

Votes: 7 7.8%
  • After Hours

Votes: 7 7.8%

• Total voters

he aint fall offf but i can say PND is catching up REAL QUICK
Nah, he's trash.
Man...I'd love for homie to go back to that flow/vibe.
mean.gif
You and me, both.  He needs to work with Doc and Illangelo for his next album, no one else.

YOU CRAZY to think PND trash . Just remember this song Party Next Door 2 Ft Drake will put all your non sense to rest and youlll soon jump on board.
smokin.gif

Btw he dont write lol straight one take, makes his own beats since 14. BEAST.

not taking anything away from Weeknd hes a monster but PND catching up.

YOU CRAZY to think PND trash . Just remember this song Party Next Door 2 Ft Drake will put all your non sense to rest and youlll soon jump on board.
smokin.gif

Btw he dont write lol straight one take, makes his own beats since 14. BEAST.

not taking anything away from Weeknd hes a monster but PND catching up.
I LOVE Party but he's so far behind yall are doing nothing but a disservice to dude by saying he's "catching up" to Abel.

First PND2 has to surpass the original PND tape, then he's gotta equal or surpass PND2 with his next two projects after that, all of this has to be done in the next year or so, all while murdering solo shows and developing a cult following, in order to "catch up".

God forbid Ethiopian Jesus drops more classics during that time. It's not gonna happen bo.  I love PND but let him be great on his own accord he doesn't have **** to do with the Weeknd. 

Last edited:
Don't mean to side bar, but put me up on some essential PND tracks.
The whole PND tape is fire front to back. It did take me a while to get into the whole thing last summer but once I got into it I was all the way in. At this point I really can't say I have a favorite it changes all the time. Her Way is also mandatory listening. Think it's gonna be on PND2. It's whip music though can't be listening on some laptop speakers.

Oh and aside from Her Way I'd listen to the tape first before any of the other random tracks he dropped since imo.  

Last edited:
I feel like Weeknd's R&B has really taken a hit from a songwriting perspective.

I agree with dude's sentiment about Weeknd's vulgarity, but that's been there since day 1. Never was an issue. The issue, is that it used to be tasteful, and woven into a well written song.

But now, It's as if the Ratchet R&B wave has touched him and his subject matter and writing isn't nearly as poignant as it used to be. It's as if his content mirrors the Algust Asina's, TY$'s, TeeFLii's, and PND's type of R&B that they do.

His music used to be so much more sophisticated than his past few releases and features have been. Hopefully on the next project his songwriting returns to form.

I think you guys are over thinking it. His last few releases have literally been remixes, freestyles, and a Ty $ign ratchet anthem feature. Dude probably just been in the studio having fun. Idc what anyone says for me Kiss Land is his magnum opus when it comes to songwriting and sophistication. Joint came out less than a year ago. 

I feel like Weeknd's R&B has really taken a hit from a songwriting perspective.

I agree with dude's sentiment about Weeknd's vulgarity, but that's been there since day 1. Never was an issue. The issue, is that it used to be tasteful, and woven into a well written song.

But now, It's as if the Ratchet R&B wave has touched him and his subject matter and writing isn't nearly as poignant as it used to be. It's as if his content mirrors the Algust Asina's, TY$'s, TeeFLii's, and PND's type of R&B that they do.

His music used to be so much more sophisticated than his past few releases and features have been. Hopefully on the next project his songwriting returns to form.

This I agree with.

I think you guys are over thinking it. His last few releases have literally been remixes, freestyles, and a Ty $ign ratchet anthem feature. Dude probably just been in the studio having fun. Idc what anyone says for me Kiss Land is his magnum opus when it comes to songwriting and sophistication. Joint came out less than a year ago. 

Agree with all of this except KL being his best work.

This.

He just dropped Devil May Cry which was completely different than these 4 songs. Kiss Land was definitely sophisticated writing and barely had drug use or cursing.

He's clearly very hip hop inspired, which means freestyles, remixes and bragging type tracks are gonna happen. Hopefully the album has a different sound but I'm not gonna say his writing fell off over 4-5 tracks, 2-3 of which are remixes/features. I personally can't complain about Drunk In Love, Often or KOTF, all of those tracks bang IMO. He didn't have many of those before.

Giving pnd a listen for the first time. He seems like a hybrid of ty dollar (esp the voice) and Abel. Vocals are nowhere near abels.

Last edited:
Yall really gotta listen to dude.

Just how I put people on to Weeknd, they use to say "He's whiny, he moans too much, he's boring"

Told them to listen.

They on him now.

smokin.gif
Alright, I was wrong
laugh.gif
.  I won't say he's catching up to Weeknd, but I did sleep on him.  Break From Toronto and Wus Good/Curious are
pimp.gif

Last edited:
Yeah, how are we judging a couple throwaways cuts and features to his entire body of work?

...and why are people always so quick to say _____ is "catching up/about to take The Weeknd's spot"??

First it was JMSN, but now he's "dark skinned Jermaine" status...

...put out three classic mixtapes for free, turn around and sell 'em, and then drop a solid debut - then we can mention these people in the same breathe.

Until then, they're just the good freshmen on the JV team...

Yeah, how are we judging a couple throwaways cuts and features to his entire body of work?

...and why are people always so quick to say _____ is "catching up/about to take The Weeknd's spot"??

First it was JMSN, but now he's "dark skinned Jermaine" status...

...put out three classic mixtapes for free, turn around and sell 'em, and then drop a solid debut - then we can mention these people in the same breathe.

Until then, they're just the good freshmen on the JV team...
We are judging a couple throwaways because we are spoiled.  For me...in dudes entire catalog...ENTIRE CATALOG....he has 2 sub par songs.  That is insane.   But it still blows my mind that people can like Abel and like PND.  PND is horrible IMO.  His lyrics do nothing for me at all, his beats have been nothing but mediocre and his voice is 100% produced he can't sing at all.  But take my opinion with a grain of salt because i find myself thinking im in the twighlight zone when i turn on the radio and hear Rich Homie Quan and Young Thug and Rae Sremmurd.  I don't get how people like some music at all  

Only one person said dude was wack now.

I said the song was trash and I stand by that. Doesn't mean I think he's fallen off. But I appreciate the music and him as an artist to where I can admit if he releases something that doesn't stand up well with his previous works.

I liked KOTF much more than often btw and I think KL is criminally underrated. Love in the Sky, Pretty, Adaptation, Tears in the rain, Belong to the world, KL, Wanderlust, all :whew:

Back
Top Bottom